Annett Roessner  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 23:51
Member (2017)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
That’s exactly what I’m thinking Dec 7, 2023

Hayley Wakenshaw wrote:

There have been a couple of occasions when I have misjudged a text and realised after translating a little of it that it was not the right text for me. In both cases, I immediately contacted the PM and very apologetically said that I didn’t feel I would be able to translate it to a high standard. In both cases, the PM thanked me for my honesty, gave the job to someone else, and that was that.

Good PMs and good bureaus want to make sure their clients get the best translations possible. But if some of the texts I’ve revised are anything to go by, many translators are not honest about their limits or capabilities. So a good PM will appreciate a translator who is honest about what they can and cannot do.

I can only imagine that if you’d not even seen the text before you started, the PM would be even more understanding. I would explain what has happened to the PM as soon as possible so their own deadlines aren’t jeopardised.

Personally, I would NOT attempt to translate the text. If it turns out that you can’t do a good job even after spending hours researching terms, it could negatively impact your relationship with the client, and they might even withhold payment. Even if you can actually translate the text decently with a lot of research, you’ll end up with a very poor hourly rate for your work (and a sore bum from sitting at your desk for so long!).

[Edited at 2023-12-07 11:02 GMT]

Hi Hayley,

Thank you so much for your uplifting post. If I could translate this text I would.

I feel quite flat about letting the client down but it is what it is. It is better to be honest about my capabilities than submitting a bad translation.

Best,

Annett

Rachel Waddington
Zea_Mays
Philippe Etienne
Christopher Schröder
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Lingua 5B
Christel Zipfel

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 14:51
Danish to English
+ ...
Hmm Dec 7, 2023

monica.m wrote:

Tell them you have a personal issue, you can't go on.

I can't claim to know much about Italian culture, but if I were a PM, I would prefer the translator simply to be transparent and honest and not appreciate waffle, obfuscation and lies. I would tend to keep the former on board rather than the latter. I'd say this would be the usual approach in the Nordic countries, where "macho" claims of being able to do everything and making up barely credible excuses are generally disliked. A more down-to-earth approach works better in these countries.

Rachel Waddington
Christopher Schröder
Lingua 5B
Kevin Fulton
Becca Resnik
Philip Lees

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 15:51
English to French
About running a business Dec 7, 2023

What about the financial loss when simply accepting your fate?

Wasting time is not good, and I must keep productivity in sight: with the kind of volume mentioned by the OP, I would feel very upset to work three times as much/long for the same money because I misjudged the content of a source text. To me, any way to get out of that kind of situation is better than bite the bullet and earn peanuts for days on end.

And there is the added evil of delivering something you <
... See more
What about the financial loss when simply accepting your fate?

Wasting time is not good, and I must keep productivity in sight: with the kind of volume mentioned by the OP, I would feel very upset to work three times as much/long for the same money because I misjudged the content of a source text. To me, any way to get out of that kind of situation is better than bite the bullet and earn peanuts for days on end.

And there is the added evil of delivering something you know will not be up to your own standards, all while turning down more suitable work in the meantime.

You have everything to gain by stepping down and nothing much to lose, given that the agency should have ample time to re-assign the project.

Philippe
Collapse

Lingua 5B
Christel Zipfel
Rachel Waddington
Kay Denney
Philip Lees
expressisverbis

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Annett Dec 7, 2023

By stepping down you’re also showing them the need to let you have a look at the text before accepting to translate it…

Becca Resnik
Philippe Etienne
Zea_Mays
Philip Lees
MollyRose
Christine Andersen
Daryo

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Nothing to do... Dec 7, 2023

with Italian culture. It's her personal advice.

Thomas T. Frost wrote:
I can't claim to know much about Italian culture, but if I were a PM, I would prefer the translator simply to be transparent and honest and not appreciate waffle, obfuscation and lies. I would tend to keep the former on board rather than the latter. I'd say this would be the usual approach in the Nordic countries, where "macho" claims of being able to do everything and making up barely credible excuses are generally disliked. A more down-to-earth approach works better in these countries.

texjax DDS PhD
kd42
Maria G. Grassi, MA AITI
Tony Keily
Angie Garbarino
Elena Feriani

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
. Dec 7, 2023

Just as consolation, since I see you've already taken the sound advice that I would have given you:
In my early days as a freelancer (but with 20 years' experience in translation) I bid for a job here. It was a huge catalogue about sports equipment, for a sport I know nothing of, but I had worked on tons of similar texts at the agency and figured that after a couple of pages and spending time reading up about this equipment on websites written by native English speakers, I'd be able to zip
... See more
Just as consolation, since I see you've already taken the sound advice that I would have given you:
In my early days as a freelancer (but with 20 years' experience in translation) I bid for a job here. It was a huge catalogue about sports equipment, for a sport I know nothing of, but I had worked on tons of similar texts at the agency and figured that after a couple of pages and spending time reading up about this equipment on websites written by native English speakers, I'd be able to zip right through.
It turned out to be much more technical than I thought. After a weekend wrestling with the text, I sent in the few pages that I had managed a half-way decent translation of, and apologised, saying I didn't want to hand in rubbish, and it would take me too long to finish the catalogue, I would need to extend the deadline. I suggested the woman take a look at other bids for the job, and select someone who actually practises the sport in question. She was very understanding and paid me promptly for the work I delivered, even though I had decided not to bill.

When I turn work down, I tell customers I'd rather not do the job than do a bad job. They seem to appreciate my honesty.
So if this agency appreciates good quality work, your business relationship will not be affected.
If they don't bother to send you any more work, that means they don't give a toss about quality. I wouldn't be all that thrilled to work with them if that were the case.
Collapse

Rachel Waddington
Becca Resnik
Philippe Etienne
Peter Shortall
Zea_Mays
Christel Zipfel

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Fussy about quality Dec 7, 2023

The OP say that the client is "fussy about quality". If they are fussy about quality, why do they provide random strings with no context, and why don't they discuss the source text with you first? Very contradictory demands vs. behavior and translation process.

Dan Lucas
Christel Zipfel
Kevin Fulton
Rachel Waddington
Kay Denney
Yasutomo Kanazawa

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Belgium
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
Terminology Dec 7, 2023

Samuel Murray wrote:
Most translation agencies would NOT appreciate it if the translator were to send them a list of paragraphs that they are unsure of or did not know how to translate or could not find the translation for.

Paragraphs ? I'm talking about terminology of which no translation can be found in dictionaries, on the internet or elsewhere (which already means that I'm talking about rare cases since almost everything can be found, at least in my experience).

Most questions for clients are context-related, by the way, meaning that often something isn't clear because of a lack of context. This applies in particular to texts with short elements, like the OP's text.

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Belgium
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
. Dec 7, 2023

Lingua 5B wrote:
Maybe she doesn’t want to spend more time for the same amount of money?

I would also regret it if I have to work harder for the same money. But I also value my reputation as a trustworthy translator. Being trustworthy includes not refusing to continue a job after you've accepted and started it. Actions have consequences and things like these mostly happen to you only once because they are hard lessons.

Lingua 5B
Enrique Bjarne Strand Ferrer
P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Sure, things happen Dec 7, 2023

Lieven Malaise wrote:

Lingua 5B wrote:
Maybe she doesn’t want to spend more time for the same amount of money?

I would also regret it if I have to work harder for the same money. But I also value my reputation as a trustworthy translator. Being trustworthy includes not refusing to continue a job after you've accepted and started it. Actions have consequences and things like these mostly happen to you only once because they are hard lessons.

I'm with you. It happened to me a couple of times and I went through with with more time, more effort, and some terminology discussions with the agency and direct client. And then we tested the terminology with the end user (on my demand), and all I delivered was correct. I delivered what I promised and learned a lesson.

I also worked as a project manager and can't remember one single time somebody gave up on the basis of "not comfortable with terminology" but there were quite a few with sudden family or personal emergencies in the middle of the project (we can never know what those reasons really were, but yes in either case, it gives off the vibe of somebody who just heard from a friend about easy money online, and sees it as something to walk in and walk out as they see fit).

Lieven Malaise

kd42
kd42
Estonia
Local time: 16:51
English to Russian
This is where neural network translation engines are especially good Dec 7, 2023

Annett Roessner wrote:
It's basically a long list of qualifications (from trainers that train horse trainers to very technical trade qualifications). They are all based on the American education system that I am not very familar with.

Every translator gets such a job sooner or later.
If you treat a neural network translation engine as a fast terminology server and use it wisely you will be OK with this or any other similar situation. Of course, there are many fields where neural MT will not help, but this is not the case< i suspect.

Peter Shortall
Peter Shortall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Romanian to English
+ ...
Excuses, excuses... Dec 7, 2023

Lingua 5B wrote:

I also worked as a project manager and can't remember one single time somebody gave up on the basis of "not comfortable with terminology" but there were quite a few with sudden family or personal emergencies in the middle of the project (we can never know what those reasons really were, but yes in either case, it gives off the vibe of somebody who just heard from a friend about easy money online, and sees it as something to walk in and walk out as they see fit).

I was once asked to take on a RU-EN job by an agency owner who said she had assigned it to two other translators who had pulled out due to ill health. I didn't say so, but I was sceptical about the sudden spate of illnesses affecting RU-EN translators! More likely, novices thinking a smattering of the language would be enough and then running into difficulty when confronted with a court judgment they couldn't make head or tail of.

Marjolein Snippe
Marjolein Snippe  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Well done! Dec 8, 2023

Annett Roessner wrote:

I basically sent a very apologetic, remorseful email to them straight away after posting here letting them know that I don't feel confident with the subject matter. This client is extremely fussy and has very high quality expectations so submitting an almost good enough translation is not an option at all. I feel in this instance asking for more time is not really helpful because even with more time I would still struggle with the text.

Well done for picking the honest option that is, in the end, also in the client's best interest.
I hope the client understands, as a good client should.

Rachel Waddington
Christopher Schröder
Becca Resnik
MollyRose
P.L.F. Persio
Barbara Carrara

Rachel Waddington
Rachel Waddington  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
+ ...
Agency also at fault Dec 8, 2023

Peter Shortall wrote:

I was once asked to take on a RU-EN job by an agency owner who said she had assigned it to two other translators who had pulled out due to ill health. I didn't say so, but I was sceptical about the sudden spate of illnesses affecting RU-EN translators! More likely, novices thinking a smattering of the language would be enough and then running into difficulty when confronted with a court judgment they couldn't make head or tail of.

If the agency had done their job properly they would have assigned the job to a translator with the required knowledge and experience in the first place, but they probably went with the cheapest option. The outcome is entirely predictable.

Dan Lucas
Thomas T. Frost
P.L.F. Persio
Jorge Payan

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Not necessarily... Dec 8, 2023

Rachel Waddington wrote:

but they probably went with the cheapest option.

some agencies just throw anything at you. I have been in the OP's position and I just withdrew from the project after a few hours. If you don't know the subject well, you will never do a quality job. You can do an OK job, but never of the same quality. In the OP's case, she was totally out of her comfort zone, so she did the right thing, in my opinion.

Agencies appreciate your honesty. At the end of the day, they want to give their end client the best possible final product.

[Edited at 2023-12-08 10:22 GMT]

Christel Zipfel
Christopher Schröder
Becca Resnik
Yasutomo Kanazawa
P.L.F. Persio

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How bad is declining job after accepting it

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »