Transit NXT project with thousands of tags
Thread poster: Gary Hess
Gary Hess
Gary Hess  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:35
German to English
+ ...
May 21, 2022

A client that normally works with SDL Trados just sent me a Transit NXT project for the 1st time. I received a source file (Word) as well as a PPF file (Transit NXT package).

I opened the Transit NXT project and started translating. Unfortunately, it turns out that the source window in Transit NXT contains thousands of seemingly superfluous tags. For example, I have already found a single sentence with 30 words that has 100 tags! Each single letter is contained within a start tag an
... See more
A client that normally works with SDL Trados just sent me a Transit NXT project for the 1st time. I received a source file (Word) as well as a PPF file (Transit NXT package).

I opened the Transit NXT project and started translating. Unfortunately, it turns out that the source window in Transit NXT contains thousands of seemingly superfluous tags. For example, I have already found a single sentence with 30 words that has 100 tags! Each single letter is contained within a start tag and end tag.

I looked at the Word document, but I don't see anything that corresponds to all of these tags.

What I am wondering is whether anyone else has encountered a situation like this? Any thoughts on how to proceed? I am estimating that the doc contains 16000 extra tags (10 per segment). If it takes 10 seconds to handle each tag, it will take 44 hours just to deal with the tags.

Thanks, Gary
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Create a new project May 21, 2022

You or your client has to create a new project, after cleaning the Ms Word document first.

Use CodeZapper or TransTools to clean.

Stepan Konev
Jorge Payan

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 14:35
English to Russian
Wrong OCR algorythm May 21, 2022

The reason why that happens is described here for example. In addition to Code Zapper and TransTools, you can also try to make uniform formatting by adjusting the font settings in your MS Word file. Open the file, select all (this step is important), press Ctrl+D, navigate to the 'Advanced' tab, set 'Scale' to 100%, 'Spacing' to Normal ... See more
The reason why that happens is described here for example. In addition to Code Zapper and TransTools, you can also try to make uniform formatting by adjusting the font settings in your MS Word file. Open the file, select all (this step is important), press Ctrl+D, navigate to the 'Advanced' tab, set 'Scale' to 100%, 'Spacing' to Normal and 'Position' to Normal too. This will remove most tags.
However you can only do it with your source file (MS Word). But you still have to contact your client for them to re-create their Transit package for you.
Collapse

Jorge Payan

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Re-import the source document May 22, 2022

Here's an example of a project with tag soup:

I created a new project. And clicked on Options:

Then I chose these settings:

Now the project looks much better:

Sergey Afanasev

Gary Hess
Gary Hess  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:35
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
OCR May 23, 2022

Thanks for the suggestions! I hadn't thought of OCR, but that would explain this disaster. I am writing with the client now to figure out a plan.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Transit NXT project with thousands of tags

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »