Dusan Miljkovic
Dusan Miljkovic
Serbia
Local time: 08:25
English to Serbian
+ ...
Jan 29, 2013

Hi everyone,

I've just started working with Transit NXT, and my question may seem a little basic, but I can't figure it out and can't find the answer anywhere on the forums.

When I scroll Source or Target section up and down, they scroll independently of each other and I was wandering if there was any way to lock them together, so that when I scroll one, the other one follows it - like in Trados 2009 for example.

I've really gotten used to Trados in the pas
... See more
Hi everyone,

I've just started working with Transit NXT, and my question may seem a little basic, but I can't figure it out and can't find the answer anywhere on the forums.

When I scroll Source or Target section up and down, they scroll independently of each other and I was wandering if there was any way to lock them together, so that when I scroll one, the other one follows it - like in Trados 2009 for example.

I've really gotten used to Trados in the past couple of years, and it is just annoying to see my selected segments all over the place.

Thank you!
Collapse

Benjamin Phister (X)
Benjamin Phister (X)  Identity Verified
French to English
Try View tab/Language pair/Options Jan 30, 2013

Hi Dusan.

To scroll the source & target windows, choose the View tab, Language pair section. In the Options menu, tick "Synchronize source and target".

Ben

Dusan Miljkovic
Dusan Miljkovic
Serbia
English to Serbian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Doesn't work Jan 30, 2013

Hi Ben,

I ticked that option, but the only thing it does is mark the appropriate segment in source when I click on one in target and vice versa, but has no effect on simultaneous scrolling of sections. Is that just me?

Thanks!

Dusan

wotswot
wotswot  Identity Verified
France
Member (2011)
French to English
@Dusan Jan 30, 2013

Try using the keyboard. Source and target are synchronized when you use the keyboard (up/down arrow, PageUp/down, etc.), but not when you use the vertical scrollbars. I like this flexibility because you can go back several segments (with the mouse) to check something in the source, say, without losing your place in the target, a very common requirement I find.

Dusan Miljkovic
Dusan Miljkovic
Serbia
English to Serbian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It'll have to do Jan 30, 2013

Thanks wotswot,

That will have to do I guess. I'm aware of the advantages of this approach, but it will take a while to get used to it. The ideal solution would be an option to switch between the two ways of scrolling somehow during work, like scrolling with and without holding CTRL or something like that.. but now I'm asking too much.

wotswot
wotswot  Identity Verified
France
Member (2011)
French to English
@Dusan Jan 30, 2013

Point taken, that could indeed be a nice refinement, but I don't really see the problem, even when scrolling with the vertical scrollbar using the mouse. Just scroll to the desired location in the source (or target) window then click a segment and the two windows will synchronize. This of course if you know what you're looking for! If you're not too sure, I'd suggest PageUp/PageDown, or Ctrl-F searching for a word, which also synchronizes source and target.

[Edited at 2013-01-30 17:27 GMT
... See more
Point taken, that could indeed be a nice refinement, but I don't really see the problem, even when scrolling with the vertical scrollbar using the mouse. Just scroll to the desired location in the source (or target) window then click a segment and the two windows will synchronize. This of course if you know what you're looking for! If you're not too sure, I'd suggest PageUp/PageDown, or Ctrl-F searching for a word, which also synchronizes source and target.

[Edited at 2013-01-30 17:27 GMT]
Collapse

Iris Kleinophorst
Iris Kleinophorst  Identity Verified
Germany
Chinese to German
+ ...
Use plus and minus keys Jan 31, 2013

If you use a keyboard with number pad, you can easily move up and down with the plus and minus keys. This way you move from one segment to the next resp. previous, thus this is much faster than using the arrow keys. The segments will still scroll simultaneously.

HTH
Iris

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Source and targer segments scrolling together

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »