How to disable the alert sound
Thread poster: robroy
robroy
robroy
Local time: 13:01
German to English
Jul 18, 2010

Hello,

I know this was asked over a year ago, but apparently no reply!

Anyway I like the sound profiles in my new Windows 7, but the beeps and toots and bells after every Alt + Ins are driving me crazy!

Does anyone have a tip for me? (It must drive you and everyone else mad if you work in an office!)

Thanks

Rob Roy

Richard Bartholomew
Richard Bartholomew  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Use the headphone jack. Jul 19, 2010

I just keep the headphones plugged in. That disables the speaker, at least on my systems. You still get the beeps, but you shouldn't be able to hear them if you keep the headphones away from your ears.

Alternately, you should be able to deactivate the speakers. Windows Vista features a little speaker icon in the tool bar in the extreme lower left corner of the screen. Clicking that, then clicking the second little speaker icon in the window that subsequently appears, deactivates the
... See more
I just keep the headphones plugged in. That disables the speaker, at least on my systems. You still get the beeps, but you shouldn't be able to hear them if you keep the headphones away from your ears.

Alternately, you should be able to deactivate the speakers. Windows Vista features a little speaker icon in the tool bar in the extreme lower left corner of the screen. Clicking that, then clicking the second little speaker icon in the window that subsequently appears, deactivates the speaker. Windows 7 probably has something similar.
Collapse

robroy
robroy
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the tip, Richard, ... Jul 20, 2010

... but I had been hoping for an "internal" Transit solution, because I did not want to switch off all of the other sounds, only the Alt + Ins sound!

But you're right, seems there is no other way!

Cheers

Rob Roy

Francoise Perigaut
Francoise Perigaut
Germany
German to French
+ ...
SP3 Nov 11, 2010

I was hoping SP3 would solve this issue, but I can't find anything in the options.
Has anybody found a way to disable this sound?

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Disapble Bing! Nov 12, 2010

Hi,

You can disable the sound that is attached to the Bing! that is triggered by Alt+Ins.

This way you can keep all other sounds.

Do you use Windows XP? Then I can look it up for you ...

Hans

Iris Kleinophorst
Iris Kleinophorst  Identity Verified
Germany
Chinese to German
+ ...
Turning off the beep in Windows XP Nov 15, 2010

Hi Hans,

if you know how to turn off the Alt+Ins sound on Windows XP, I would be glad if you could post that.

TIA
Iris

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Turning off sound Nov 15, 2010

Hi Iris,

Here you find an image of the Dutch version of WinXP:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/509643/Voor%20Proz/uitroepteken.png

The English name of this sound is probably Exclamation mark, the German Ausrufezeichen.

Best regards,

Hans Lenting

Iris Kleinophorst
Iris Kleinophorst  Identity Verified
Germany
Chinese to German
+ ...

Hi Hans

thanks a lot for the png, I finally managed to turn the sound off that has been annoying me for years

In German, it's called Hinweis, and it was further up in the Sounds menu. I went through my system wav files until I found the correct sound and then checked which one of the options used that wav file.

Thanks again
Iris

Francoise Perigaut
Francoise Perigaut
Germany
German to French
+ ...
Any solution in Transit? Nov 15, 2010

Thanks, but I don't want to turn it completely off in Windows, I'm looking for a way to disable it in Transit only.

robroy
robroy
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for all of your comments ... Nov 19, 2010

... like Francoise I also wanted a Transit-only solution, but have used Iris' tip at least as an interim solution.

Cheers

Rob Roy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to disable the alert sound

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »