Trados and Wordfast, which one?
Téma indítója: Doroto
Doroto
Doroto
Local time: 15:39
angol - kínai
+ ...
Jun 26, 2007

I know TM has gained more popularity nowadays and many translators have started to use this technique. It sounds very nice to use such TM since it does help our efficiency.

Mostly used TM would be Trados and Wordfast. I tried Trados once only to get frustrated with its complexity and then I gave it up. However I found many international clients would prefer a translator using such TM, so I am again attempted to learn it.

One of my clients in France told me, Trados is to
... See more
I know TM has gained more popularity nowadays and many translators have started to use this technique. It sounds very nice to use such TM since it does help our efficiency.

Mostly used TM would be Trados and Wordfast. I tried Trados once only to get frustrated with its complexity and then I gave it up. However I found many international clients would prefer a translator using such TM, so I am again attempted to learn it.

One of my clients in France told me, Trados is too complicated but more powerful in dealing with various kind of formatted document while Wordfast is easier to use but can only deal with Word format documents and also much cheaper than Trados.

I want to try Wordfast and before purchasing one, I would like to know what your opions are about the two TMs.

Thanks.
Collapse

Elena Aleksandrova
Elena Aleksandrova  Identity Verified
Bulgária
Local time: 10:39
Tag (2009 óta)
angol - bolgár
+ ...
Trados Jun 26, 2007

Trados is not complicated software at all. It has few buttons and it takes not more than 15 minutes to learn how to use it. When you install it you will find very well made tutorials - you don't even need to download any manuals.

I really cant understand why people find it so complicated!

My choice - Trados

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
Egyesült Királyság
Local time: 08:39
francia - angol
+ ...
Why not try the demo version of Wordfast? Jun 26, 2007

Why not try the free demo version of Wordfast? It's identical to the full version apart from the fact that your translation memory is limited to a certain number of units - 500, I think. However, that should be plenty to help you try it out and see what you think. I've found it very straightforward and easy to use. It's compatible with Trados, so no problems with agencies requesting Trados. It can also be used with Powerpoint and Excel files. I've certainly found it well worth the money and very... See more
Why not try the free demo version of Wordfast? It's identical to the full version apart from the fact that your translation memory is limited to a certain number of units - 500, I think. However, that should be plenty to help you try it out and see what you think. I've found it very straightforward and easy to use. It's compatible with Trados, so no problems with agencies requesting Trados. It can also be used with Powerpoint and Excel files. I've certainly found it well worth the money and very good value. Before I opted for Wordfast I did a training session where we were able to play with Trados, Wordfast and Déja Vu and that helped me make up my mind. I just didn't think that, for my purposes, it was worth paying the extra money for Trados or Déja Vu, when Wordfast did everything I needed.

Good luck!
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finnország
Tag (2003 óta)
finn - német
+ ...
You mean CAT Jun 26, 2007

CAT = Computer Aided Translation. CAT-tools use translation memories (TMs) among other data-structures (glossaries, databases).
Cheers
Heinrich

Marlou Franken
Marlou Franken  Identity Verified
Hollandia
Local time: 09:39
Tag (2006 óta)
angol - holland
+ ...
Metatexis? Jun 26, 2007

This CAT is soooo easy to handle.
I chose it over Wordfast. It is also compatible with Trados.
Trados sometimes gives me trouble over "damaged delimiters", I have not figured out yet what I am doing to "it' to cause this. I will sit down and do a closer examination soon.
The delimiters in Metatexis are secured against my destructive inclinations, it uses a different technology. And Metatexis is cheaper and does what Wordfast does, although I have not acqainted myself with all
... See more
This CAT is soooo easy to handle.
I chose it over Wordfast. It is also compatible with Trados.
Trados sometimes gives me trouble over "damaged delimiters", I have not figured out yet what I am doing to "it' to cause this. I will sit down and do a closer examination soon.
The delimiters in Metatexis are secured against my destructive inclinations, it uses a different technology. And Metatexis is cheaper and does what Wordfast does, although I have not acqainted myself with all the features yet.
It does handle Word, HTML, ppt and Excel for sure, can import/export Trados files etc.
I do not work for the company, just a happy user:)
Collapse

Doroto
Doroto
angol - kínai
+ ...
TÉMAINDÍTÓ
wow...... you are a really great girl Jun 27, 2007

Elena Aleksandrova wrote:

Trados is not complicated software at all. It has few buttons and it takes not more than 15 minutes to learn how to use it. When you install it you will find very well made tutorials - you don't even need to download any manuals.

I really cant understand why people find it so complicated!

My choice - Trados

15 minutes? Who else can do this? In that short time, I cannot even those hot keys unique with Trades.

You are fantastic!

Doroto
Doroto
angol - kínai
+ ...
TÉMAINDÍTÓ
I think I will try this version fo WF Jun 27, 2007

Claire Cox wrote:

Why not try the free demo version of Wordfast? It's identical to the full version apart from the fact that your translation memory is limited to a certain number of units - 500, I think. However, that should be plenty to help you try it out and see what you think. I've found it very straightforward and easy to use. It's compatible with Trados, so no problems with agencies requesting Trados. It can also be used with Powerpoint and Excel files. I've certainly found it well worth the money and very good value. Before I opted for Wordfast I did a training session where we were able to play with Trados, Wordfast and Déja Vu and that helped me make up my mind. I just didn't think that, for my purposes, it was worth paying the extra money for Trados or Déja Vu, when Wordfast did everything I needed.

Good luck!

Thanks for your adivce.

Btw, do you know whether this version is compatible with Word 2007? I just installed this latest version Word and it is very diferrent with most widely used Word 2003. Otherwise, I may have to go back for Word 2003.

Thanks.

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
Egyesült Királyság
francia - angol
+ ...
Wordfast group on the web Jun 27, 2007

Hi Doroto,

I'm not sure about Word 2007, but I should think so! There's a really useful support group on the web for any technical queries:

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/wordfast/

Wordfast's founder, Yves Champollion, plays an active role and resolves any blips, so if you've any problems, I'm sure someone will be able to point you in the right direc
... See more
Hi Doroto,

I'm not sure about Word 2007, but I should think so! There's a really useful support group on the web for any technical queries:

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/wordfast/

Wordfast's founder, Yves Champollion, plays an active role and resolves any blips, so if you've any problems, I'm sure someone will be able to point you in the right direction!

Best of luck again - I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Claire
Collapse

Sergei Tumanov
Sergei Tumanov  Identity Verified
angol - orosz
+ ...
each joke has a piece of truth in it Jun 27, 2007

have a look at it
http://catcompare.narod.ru

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
Egyesült Királyság
francia - angol
+ ...
How true! Jun 27, 2007

I love that, Sergei - very amusing!

Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
Franciaország
francia - angol
Fantastic Sergei ! Jun 27, 2007

Great analogy

Margreet Logmans (X)
Margreet Logmans (X)  Identity Verified
Hollandia
angol - holland
+ ...
Sergei, can you really Jun 27, 2007

build a CAT-tool yourself? Funny link, thank you.

I like to work with Trados, by the way. And it didn't take me much more than 15 minutes either to learn the basics.

Best,
Margreet

Doroto
Doroto
angol - kínai
+ ...
TÉMAINDÍTÓ
great fun. Jun 28, 2007

Sergei Tumanov wrote:

have a look at it
http://catcompare.narod.ru

Yes, yes, Wordfast! I was wondering whether you have been hired by Wordfast? : )

Anyway, thanks guys.

Alan Halls
Alan Halls  Identity Verified
Németország
német - angol
Not too late I hope! Sep 20, 2007

I've just come across this discussion and find it very interesting. The analogy provided by Sergei rings true. However, on the left-hand side I would place Transit. In the last ten years I have tried Trados, Wordfast and Transit intensively and decided on Transit for a number of reasons. Firstly, it handles all formats such as Word, PowerPoint Excel, Quark, HTML etc. etc. in the same interface. You never have to get used to working with a tag editor for one, fumbling around in word tables for an... See more
I've just come across this discussion and find it very interesting. The analogy provided by Sergei rings true. However, on the left-hand side I would place Transit. In the last ten years I have tried Trados, Wordfast and Transit intensively and decided on Transit for a number of reasons. Firstly, it handles all formats such as Word, PowerPoint Excel, Quark, HTML etc. etc. in the same interface. You never have to get used to working with a tag editor for one, fumbling around in word tables for another. Secondly, it is document based, rather than being database orientated. This means that, if you remember using a key phrase in the past and search for it via the concordance function (source or target language!!), you can then browse the entire file to check the context. Also, because of the way the reference files are handled, you do not have to recreate "TMs" every time you change the direction of translation. The files are simply used the other way round. Also, if you organise the reference files in folders for each key customer or field, you can guarantee that a 100% hit really is a 100% hit. In a comparison ot CAT tools, I once read that if you like Transit you get obsessed with it. Sure did! It has increased my output by at least 20% and the dictionary function is also a dream. Ensuring consistent use of terminology is dead simple (with graphics if you wish). I could go on, and on, and on.

Alan, hooked
Collapse

Martin Bruckmann
Martin Bruckmann  Identity Verified
Portugália
portugál - francia
+ ...
CAT tools comparison board Oct 18, 2007

Hi all,

The site presented by Sergei is very interresting , but, seriously, is there such a useful site somewhere ?

This question, "which CAT tool should I use", shows up very often in this and other forums, newsgroups, blogs etc... It defenitely would be a good thing to have such a comparison board somewhere... and possibly with all existing CAT tools there are on Earth (and elsewhere...
See more
Hi all,

The site presented by Sergei is very interresting , but, seriously, is there such a useful site somewhere ?

This question, "which CAT tool should I use", shows up very often in this and other forums, newsgroups, blogs etc... It defenitely would be a good thing to have such a comparison board somewhere... and possibly with all existing CAT tools there are on Earth (and elsewhere ).

Each time I read these posts, hoping I would after all get the ultimate answer, I discover from the answers that there are even more, and more, and more useful tools for translators, names I even never had heard of before...

Ok then, as a starting point, I'd suggest we all put all the CAT tools' names we know of in a list, with no other details for now. We'll add their features later...

Let's start : (see new thread : LIST OF CAT TOOLS )

Thanks in advance for your contribution,

Martin

[Modifié le 2007-10-18 02:01]
Collapse

A témához tartozó oldalak:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados and Wordfast, which one?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »