Suggestion for the vetting of messages in forums
Thread poster: Ruxi
Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 08:28
SITE FOUNDER
ProZ.com is a workplace Mar 15, 2005

Hi Ruxi,

I am the person perhaps most responsible for supporting rules--and what some call censorship--at ProZ.com. As such, I'll add my reasoning.

ProZ.com is a "workplace", not a country or society. When our members are done "working" here (exchanging terms help, meeting new clients), they exit to the "free world" you refer to. Don't think of ProZ.com as a "prison", but as a workplace where the focus is on translation and translation work only. As Derek notes, you can
... See more
Hi Ruxi,

I am the person perhaps most responsible for supporting rules--and what some call censorship--at ProZ.com. As such, I'll add my reasoning.

ProZ.com is a "workplace", not a country or society. When our members are done "working" here (exchanging terms help, meeting new clients), they exit to the "free world" you refer to. Don't think of ProZ.com as a "prison", but as a workplace where the focus is on translation and translation work only. As Derek notes, you can ask how to translate any term... but you can not talk about your favorite race car drivers. It is simply a matter of focus.

Some people think this is a cold vision, that defining the scope to translation work and enforcing that scope somehow limits a sense of community. I disagree; I think working together with each other is a great way to develop camaraderie that carries over into the real world. Just look around here or go to a powwow (and get vidded), I think you will agree this is true.

As for the vetting process, I am proud of the work our moderator team does. They get to forum posts quickly, 24x7, and consistently enforce the set of rules that has been mutually defined, and which incidentally they are sworn to enforce regardless of their own views. Our system is not perfect, but it works OK; looking at the database now, I can say that fewer than 1% of all posts are refused vetting.

For more on ProZ.com's scope, see this: http://proz.com/scope
The forum rules are here: http://proz.com/forumrules

Thanks for your post, Ruxi. While I disagree with your arguments, I appreciate the sentiment. Nevertheless, the rules are here to stay.

I am closing this thread.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Suggestion for the vetting of messages in forums

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »