Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Off topic: Now you have him on all angles Plus A homage to last week's forum posters
Thread poster: CHENOUMI (X)
CHENOUMI (X)
CHENOUMI (X)  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Sep 30, 2003

Hello all,

Last week, I had my share of annoyances, but also my share of good laughter here on ProZ fora.
I wish to pay tribute to Claudia Iglesias, Jack Doughty (who replicated Claudia's thread), Borana Moisiu and to all the positive contributors who participated in their respective threads, Claudia Iglesias, Jack Doughty (who replicated Claudia's thread), Borana Moisiu and to all the positive contributors who participated in their respective threads, for taking the time to share good jokes and their own experiences.

Last week was free of futile controversies, and the only forum spoilers we had were Monika Coulson, Mr. Q (Enrique), Mrs. Humarán just to name a few, who "spoiled" the party with their serene attitude, and reasoned comments.

We were all at awe in front of a single image: the picture of a beautiful bouncing baby boy - the most captivating Virgo on ProZ - Sir Kodi D.

I'm already missing the spirit of great laughter that so uniquely marked the forum board during the past week.

I, very often, ask myself: "Why take the time to share useful and privileged information with strangers?"
"Why waste my time contributing, participating and giving my opinion?"
"Why expose myself to unwarranted attacks, negative comments and risk bad judgment?"

To the thousands of you members and non-members out there who never participate or contribute in any posting, for fear of personal attacks, I say:
Whenever you feel like sharing, DO SO.
Whenever you feel like talking, DO SO.
Whenever you feel like suggesting innovative ideas, DO SO.

You may not get any acknowledgement, receive ungrateful remarks, but there is nothing more noble than sharing with complete strangers without expectation of anything in return, any future gratification or benefit,
just for the pleasure of
S H A R I N G.

When things are bad, people never hesitate to voice their frustrations and anger;
When things are good, we should also not silence our voice.
And when things are so good like they were, last week, I could not enjoy and...remain silent.
That's why in tribute to those who brought me great respite in the form of damn good laugh, last week, I acknowledge them by saying: THANK YOU!

Pardon me for being so vocal about a week unlike any other on ProZ.com, and for voicing outrage in reaction to today's escalating events.

Regards,
Sandra:)

[Edited at 2003-10-02 00:01]
Collapse

CHENOUMI (X)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I was talking about him... Sep 30, 2003

the great, the remarkable first translator of the bible,
Our
patron:
Saint,
St. Jerome !

Here he is:

http://www.uiowa.edu/~english/undergrad/courses/medieval_mod.jpg

[img] http://vrienden.pandora.be/awg/visualart/st_jerome.jpg[/img]

Collapse

CHENOUMI (X)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
This is the angle I like the most! Sep 30, 2003

Isn't that a beautiful picture?

[Edited at 2003-10-02 00:01]

Pamela Peralta
Pamela Peralta  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 01:02
English to Spanish
+ ...
nice paintings Oct 1, 2003

CHENOUMI wrote:

Well, I have something to say: I like the painting of Saint Jerome with the blue books I just love the Renaissance painters.

Pamela

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:02
English to German
+ ...
Attitude vs. moderators Oct 1, 2003

Hi Sandra,
Last week was free of futile controversies, and the only forum spoilers we had were Monika Coulson, Mr. Q (Enrique), Mrs. Humarán just to name a few, who "spoiled" the party with their serene attitude, and reasoned comments.

Calling moderators who devote a fair share of their time helping to run this community "forum spoilers" is not an attitude I find particularly impressive.

Regards, Ralf

Pablo Villadangos
Pablo Villadangos  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Hello again (nice paintings) Oct 1, 2003

CHENOUMI wrote:

As I already told you, Sandra DO ALLWAYS SO, when you feel like sharing. This is the key of Proz' spirit, the heart of our community. And I'll be grateful to you for it.
By the way, I love the paintings...

Greetings,

Pablo (ALTC)

Jérôme Haushalter
Jérôme Haushalter
France
English to French
+ ...
Thanks for your post Sandra! Oct 1, 2003

I haven't contributed so much to the forums so far (I have to admit, I'm a little bit shy!!). I still consider myself as a new member (signed up in 07/03, platinum since 2 weeks), but I've become a ProZ-addict! I do need my daily ProZ-injection! I work home alone, like most of you, and thanks to the prozian community, I never feel lonely. I even laugh from time to time (I'm a real fan of Alain Cotés postings). I signed up several translation portals, but ProZ.com is simply the best of all!
... See more
I haven't contributed so much to the forums so far (I have to admit, I'm a little bit shy!!). I still consider myself as a new member (signed up in 07/03, platinum since 2 weeks), but I've become a ProZ-addict! I do need my daily ProZ-injection! I work home alone, like most of you, and thanks to the prozian community, I never feel lonely. I even laugh from time to time (I'm a real fan of Alain Cotés postings). I signed up several translation portals, but ProZ.com is simply the best of all!
Thanks for the pictures!

Jérôme
Collapse

Evert DELOOF-SYS
Evert DELOOF-SYS  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
I fully second this, Ralf Oct 1, 2003

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi Sandra,

Calling moderators who devote a fair share of their time helping to run this community "forum spoilers" is not an attitude I find particularly impressive.

Regards, Ralf

Other than that, why has this 'message' been posted here? The same topic is being 'discussed' elsewhere.

Best, Evert

Martin Schmurr
Martin Schmurr  Identity Verified
Italian to German
hi Ralf, hi Evert, did you read the sentence you quoted till the end? Oct 1, 2003

there it (I mean "she") says:
"who "spoiled" the party with their serene attitude, and reasoned comments."

So obviously this "criticism" was ironical, Sandra just forgot to put "forum spoilers" in inverted commas.

Now, while I fully understand Sandra's and Jerome's need to share with others - I too like ProZ because for the rest I only have my cat - I also feel sympathy for Evert: threads which are not directly useful for others should be marked "Off Topic" by the
... See more

So obviously this "criticism" was ironical, Sandra just forgot to put "forum spoilers" in inverted commas.

Now, while I fully understand Sandra's and Jerome's need to share with others - I too like ProZ because for the rest I only have my cat - I also feel sympathy for Evert: threads which are not directly useful for others should be marked "Off Topic" by the thread starter so that they are not sent to those who opted against them.
And even those should possibly relate to translating in the largest sense, like Alain Cote's "scenes from a translator's life" or my "translation bloopers".
Yes, internet allows us to copy and paste dozens of pages and large photos easily, but "less is more" …

If someone wants to know more about some ProZians, he/she is free to visit their profile pages and eventually personal websites, where you might also find entertainment and distraction from translating…

[Edited at 2003-10-01 10:49]
Collapse

Evert DELOOF-SYS
Evert DELOOF-SYS  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
Maybe so Oct 1, 2003

Martin Schmurr wrote:

[Edited at 2003-10-01 10:49]

unless poster was being ironic.

I'm indeed more concerned with the fact that people don't seem to check other posts before posting something.
The topic at hand had been mentioned in two different forums earlier that day.

Best, Evert

CHENOUMI (X)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It was ironic!!! Oct 1, 2003

Dear Ralf,

I had no intention of mocking our dear moderators. As you may know, I have too much respect for you all. I used the quotation marks precisely because my remark was ironic. How can someone "spoil" a party with his/her serene attitude and reasoned comments? As you would notice, these are two pleasant qualitiesserene attitude and reasoned comments? As you would notice, these are two pleasant qualities which cannot have a bad effect on anyone!

Besides, if you go back to the thread: "Training Offer, Becoming a Real Man", you will quickly find out that Monika, Enrique et al were quite amusing, philosophical and NICE!

I am sorry to see you miss on the detail, and please convey my highest consideration to all moderators.

With regards always,
Sandra

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Regards, Ralf

[Edited at 2003-10-03 22:21]
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
My apologies Oct 1, 2003

Hi Sandra,
Sorry about the misunderstanding - I had not read the thread in question in full, but should have.

Best regards, Ralf

CHENOUMI (X)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I am so glad I could inspire you! Oct 1, 2003

L. Pamela Peralta wrote:

Well, I have something to say: I like the painting of Saint Jerome with the blue books I just love the Renaissance painters.

Pamela

Well, I am so glad that you were not only appreciative of the paintings, but you have now used one of them as your icon http://www.proz.com/pro/48255. Jerome in his study is quite inspirational!

I was going to use it myself! See, after all, silent and vocal forum consumers, always find their share...

[Edited at 2003-10-02 01:56]

CHENOUMI (X)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In which forum please? Oct 1, 2003

Evert DELOOF-SYS wrote:

Other than that, why has this 'message' been posted here? The same topic is being 'discussed' elsewhere.

Could you point out in which forum my topic: "Now you have him on all angles..." is being discussed, and where else a tribute is being paid "...to last week's forum posters""?

CHENOUMI (X)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Really? Oct 1, 2003

Evert DELOOF-SYS wrote:

I'm indeed more concerned with the fact that people don't seem to check other posts before posting something.
The topic at hand had been mentioned in two different forums earlier that day.

That day, the topic "Happy International Translation Day!!" was posted three times consecutively in the "Event & Announcements" forum, the "Off-topic" forum and in the "Spanish" forum under the title "30 de septiembre NUESTRO DÍA ¡¡¡Felicidades a todos los colegas!!!"

Were you concerned and bothered by the 'lack of verification'? And later, in two other posts in French and English. Could you then kindly go to all five fora and express there your profound "concern" to the posters who have repeated the same topic? That way, you could better and more appropriately convey your 'worry' about the habit that "people don't seem to check other posts before posting something."

Sometimes, the same member does post an identical subject in two languages consecutively, have you ever been as concerned?

To ease your concern, do you feel that the ProZ.com forum board belongs to a couple of members exclusively, and they should be the only ones to have a "posting" privilege?

[Edited at 2003-10-02 20:59]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Now you have him on all angles Plus A homage to last week's forum posters

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »