Eleonora Imazio  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 13:11
Member (2009)
French to Italian
+ ...
Mar 26

Hi,

I think it would be really helpful for freelancers applying for a job to differentiate between posts from agencies and posts from direct clients. This distinction is currently not so apparent and this may lead to offer inappropriate rate ranges, especially to direct clients.

Thanks!

Josephine Cassar
Zea_Mays
Christel Zipfel
Évariste Willy Noah
Ivana Kahle

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 14:11
English to Turkish
Direct clients Mar 26

Eleonora Imazio wrote:
This distinction is currently not so apparent

I don't think I've seen any direct clients who posted a job ad in my language pair, but I'd think the distinction would be apparent enough if you were to check the poster on the Blue Board.
I'd also assume a good number of 'direct clients' would be using a gmail account, which would be another distinction and one that would not inspire a great deal of trust and confidence.

Eleonora Imazio
Eleonora Imazio  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
French to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
. Mar 27

Hi Baran,

I actually got some jobs from direct clients here on Proz (and they did not have a Gmail account because they were companies) and I think that, even though posts from direct clients are not so frequent, it would be great to be able to differentiate between direct clients and agencies at once. Maybe a specific icon close to the name of the poster could help.

Baran Keki
Kay Denney
Christel Zipfel

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Belgium
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
Direct clients Mar 27

Baran Keki wrote:
I'd also assume a good number of 'direct clients' would be using a gmail account.

"Direct clients" mostly refer to small or larger companies. The large majority of those will have a specific company email account.

Baran Keki
Türkiye
English to Turkish
True enough Mar 27

Lieven Malaise wrote:
"Direct clients" mostly refer to small or larger companies. The large majority of those will have a specific company email account.

Those "small or larger companies" usually go to translation agencies to have their content translated to multiple languages rather than seeking individual translators in every language pair. The type of "direct client" that is most likely to use Proz or any other translators directory to find translators are individuals such as academics, authors, doctors, boutique business owners etc. that are looking to get their stuff translated into one specific language only, and they more often than not use their personal gmail/yahoo accounts even if they do have a corporate email account. I've been approached by those kinds of individuals, and it's taking a gamble working with them. Even if Proz made a distinction between agency and non-agency clients, the lack of BB entries is likely to influence one's decision (is what I'm saying).

Lieven Malaise

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
. Mar 27

Baran Keki wrote:

Those "small or larger companies" usually go to translation agencies to have their content translated to multiple languages rather than seeking individual translators in every language pair. The type of "direct client" that is most likely to use Proz or any other translators directory to find translators are individuals such as academics, authors, doctors, boutique business owners etc. that are looking to get their stuff translated into one specific language only, and they more often than not use their personal gmail/yahoo accounts even if they do have a corporate email account. I've been approached by those kinds of individuals, and it's taking a gamble working with them. Even if Proz made a distinction between agency and non-agency clients, the lack of BB entries is likely to influence one's decision (is what I'm saying).

That may be true for your language pair. In mine, I think almost all of the clients I found on Proz were direct clients. I put my agency rate because I didn't realise they were not agencies: no website supplied, either because they didn't have one or because they knew they'd get a better price masquerading as an agency. One of them actually told me that: their assistant used to be a translator and she told them to post here without saying who they were exactly.

I suppose if I'd known they were direct clients I'd have put my direct client rate and would have been far too expensive. I did get a fair bit of work from the masquerading client I suppose.

Baran Keki
Eleonora Imazio
Rachel Waddington

Baran Keki
Türkiye
English to Turkish
Et tu, Brute? Mar 27

Kay Denney wrote:
their assistant used to be a translator and she told them to post here without saying who they were exactly.

A translator stabbing her fellow colleagues in the back by giving such brilliant advice! Nice going! She probably saw the wisdom of getting out of this dying, moribund profession and said the hell with them translators, let them get stuffed.
I'm sorry to hear about your experiences here. I wonder how much you charged that client of yours who masqueraded as a dog walker in the park (and was it another translator who advised them to get a dog and look for potential translators walking their dogs in the park)?

Rachel Waddington
texjax DDS PhD

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Differentiate direct clients from agencies when applying for a job

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »