Margaret Brunetti
Margaret Brunetti  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 16:56
French to Italian
+ ...
Jan 4

Hello dear colleagues,

I'm buying a new PC for my home workstation.

It has to meet remote interpreting and translation (CAT tools) requirements.
I have gathered some information online, but I'd like to receive direct opinions from remote interpreters and translators.

Do you have any suggestions?

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 16:56
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Margaret Jan 4

Margaret Brunetti wrote:

Any modern computer will be sufficient for CAT tools. However, for your interpreting requirements, I suggest you repost your question in the Interpreting subforum:

https://www.proz.com/forum/interpreting-67.html

Margaret Brunetti

Philippe Locquet
Philippe Locquet  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 15:56
English to French
+ ...
RAM Jan 4

Margaret Brunetti wrote:

Hello dear colleagues,

I have gathered some information online, but I'd like to receive direct opinions from remote interpreters and translators.

Do you have any suggestions?

Since we multitask a lot as translators and that CAT tools are becoming ever bigger, to be on the safe side a laptop with 16 GB is best. Sometimes they get crazy expensive for a bit of extra RAM, if you have good warranty coverage and access to someone having the know how, getting a good 8 GB RAM machine and getting a 16 GB RAM expansion kit to make the swap is very effective moneywise.

For your interpreting, it depends on if you need the camera or not. If the camera is important, check out the reviews on YouTube for the models you are looking at.

Specifically for interpreting you need good audio. So, investing in a pair of headphones and a good microphone is a good idea. Some combos headphone + Mic are quite good. Check the YouTube reviews.

I have the tendency to suggest to people to get the gaming version for laptops because they often have improved airflow which is excellent for hardware longevity and preventing the keyboard form becoming hot, which isn't great for typing.

My two cents

Margaret Brunetti

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Best portable computers for remote interpreting and translation tools

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »