Do you regret buying (or not buying) a curved 3440 pixel monitor?
Thread poster: Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 19:34
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Jul 10, 2023

Hello everyone

For anyone who bought a 3440 pixel monitor -- are you happy with your decision w.r.t. curved or non-curved? Do you regret not choosing the other option?

I'm thinking of getting a 34" 3440x1440 monitor so that I can view two full-page Word files side by side (my current 2560x1400 is just not wide enough, now with "modern comments" and the left-hand Find panel). I'm 60 cm from the monitor and I have enough room to adjust the angle the monitor while workin
... See more
Hello everyone

For anyone who bought a 3440 pixel monitor -- are you happy with your decision w.r.t. curved or non-curved? Do you regret not choosing the other option?

I'm thinking of getting a 34" 3440x1440 monitor so that I can view two full-page Word files side by side (my current 2560x1400 is just not wide enough, now with "modern comments" and the left-hand Find panel). I'm 60 cm from the monitor and I have enough room to adjust the angle the monitor while working. I can control the angle of the light falling on the screen. I've also noticed that most curved monitors don't curve smoothly -- often, the centre is very curved and the edges are almost flat. In the lower price range there is little price difference between curved and flat for this particular resolution (curved is usually VA and flat is often IPS, but I understand that for office applications there is no difference between IPS and VA). Your thoughts?

Thanks
Samuel
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:34
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Light Jul 10, 2023

Samuel Murray wrote:

...... I can control the angle of the light falling on the screen...

I went out of my way to find a NON-REFLECTIVE screen. I can't understand why the manufacturers make reflective screens - the reflections are a terrible nuisance and are bad for the eyes!

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Tom Jul 10, 2023

Tom in London wrote:
Samuel Murray wrote:
... I can control the angle of the light falling on the screen...

I went out of my way to find a NON-REFLECTIVE screen.

Even matt monitors have some reflection (if you shine a light on it at an angle, you'll see a reflection... if you can't see the reflection, try it without the monitor being switched on).

I can't understand why the manufacturers make reflective screens - the reflections are a terrible nuisance and are bad for the eyes!

Some people's eyes/brains are able to filter out the reflection. I notice this when watching television with my wife, and the curtains are open on a very sunny day: to me, under those conditions, I can only see the garden outside when I look at the screen, but to my wife it makes no difference whether the curtains are drawn or not -- she doesn't see the outside.

Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
... Jul 10, 2023

Back in 2015-16 I was looking for a good no-glare monitor to be used both for office and art work.

For German speaking countries, Prad.de is one of the most renowned monitor test and review sites, so I went there and read quite a bit.
Finally I opted for two Asus from the PB series, a 24" first and a few years later a 27" one. The former was one of the best displays around at th
... See more
Back in 2015-16 I was looking for a good no-glare monitor to be used both for office and art work.

For German speaking countries, Prad.de is one of the most renowned monitor test and review sites, so I went there and read quite a bit.
Finally I opted for two Asus from the PB series, a 24" first and a few years later a 27" one. The former was one of the best displays around at that time for my purposes: https://www.prad.de/testberichte/test-monitor-asus-pb248q/
They do not stand out for design but they are very good in what they should do, I still work with them combined with an Apple Mini (the 27") and a spare Windows pc (the 24") and am really happy. There are still some out there.

Current recommended 34" multi purpose monitors on Prad.de (there's a curved IPS one from LG in first place, followed by a plane Asus):
https://www.prad.de/top10/top-10-bestenliste-34-zoll-allround-monitore/?i=1#produkte
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Zea Jul 10, 2023

Zea_Mays wrote:
Current recommended 34" multi purpose monitors on Prad.de (there's a curved IPS one from LG in first place, followed by a plane Asus).

When I looked at their recommendations, I was reminded that different things matter to different people. To me, a small pedestal is important (i.e. one that doesn't stick out like two long fingers and force me to move the keyboard further away from the screen).

Dan Lucas

Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Mine is placed on a support Jul 10, 2023

with drawers and space underneath.

Samuel Murray wrote:

To me, a small pedestal is important (i.e. one that doesn't stick out like two long fingers and force me to move the keyboard further away from the screen).

How long are those fingers? Or how big is your keyboard? With 60 cm there should be enough room.

Andrus Lauringson
Andrus Lauringson  Identity Verified
Estonia
Local time: 20:34
Member (2022)
English to Estonian
Not sure Jul 11, 2023

I bought a curved monitor about a year ago and I'm not sure it was a good choice. The curve took some time to get used to. Now I don't notice it as much, but I also feel that I don't need it at all. It also somehow feels harder on my eyes, no matter which settings I try. Looking back I wish I had bought another usual widescreen monitor instead. Using two monitors would provide plenty of screen estate when working with commented word files, etc., and it's easy to use just one monitor for simpler ... See more
I bought a curved monitor about a year ago and I'm not sure it was a good choice. The curve took some time to get used to. Now I don't notice it as much, but I also feel that I don't need it at all. It also somehow feels harder on my eyes, no matter which settings I try. Looking back I wish I had bought another usual widescreen monitor instead. Using two monitors would provide plenty of screen estate when working with commented word files, etc., and it's easy to use just one monitor for simpler tasks where huge screen space is redundant and feels slower to work with.Collapse

Tom in London
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei

Richard Varga
Richard Varga  Identity Verified
Slovakia
English to Slovak
+ ...
No regrets Jul 13, 2023

I have a 34'' curved monitor and I consider it to be one of my work tools. That is quite subjective but I hate working on small laptop screens and having to alt-tab often so on my widescreen monitor, I can use the screen real estate to be efficient.

I don't have any issues with glares/reflection (probably because, and I just looked up the specs, I have anti-glare coating), neither have I noticed a difference in the curve between the middle and the edges.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do you regret buying (or not buying) a curved 3440 pixel monitor?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »