ibz
ibz  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:11
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Mar 22, 2022

Hello,
I wanted to update my Cafetran from Brownies to Poppy Seed Roll. As it was written that the current CafeTran version must at least be 10.7, I downloaded Cafetran Cornetto first, with the idea to then install Poppy Seed Roll. But now I get the forrowing error message :

Unsupported Java version 1.8.0_161 detected. Please instal the latest version of CafeTran Espresso.

However, I can't open Cafetran anymore and therefore can't install the latest version. What
... See more
Hello,
I wanted to update my Cafetran from Brownies to Poppy Seed Roll. As it was written that the current CafeTran version must at least be 10.7, I downloaded Cafetran Cornetto first, with the idea to then install Poppy Seed Roll. But now I get the forrowing error message :

Unsupported Java version 1.8.0_161 detected. Please instal the latest version of CafeTran Espresso.

However, I can't open Cafetran anymore and therefore can't install the latest version. What can / should I do?

Thank you very much for your help!

PS: The installation of the latest version of Cafetran on my second (home) computer which is exactly the same as here in my office worked like a charm...
Collapse

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Updating CafeTran Mar 22, 2022

Hey there!

I suggest the following:

Go to the Applications folder and rename the CafeTran.app to something like CafeTran-old.app.

Download and install the latest CafeTran from scratch from: https://www.cafetran.com/download-for-mac/

Launch the new app and see if everything is in place. If anything is missing, you can right-click on the old app
... See more
Hey there!

I suggest the following:

Go to the Applications folder and rename the CafeTran.app to something like CafeTran-old.app.

Download and install the latest CafeTran from scratch from: https://www.cafetran.com/download-for-mac/

Launch the new app and see if everything is in place. If anything is missing, you can right-click on the old app and show package contents to copy anything user-related to the same location in the new app (please do this with CafeTran not running).

The latest CafeTran provides an internal Java runtime server and does not depend anymore on any Java version that might be installed on your system.

---

If there is a problem, please state your MacOS version. Could it be that it is too old to run the latest Java and CafeTran?

[Edited at 2022-03-22 08:03 GMT]
Collapse

Hans Lenting

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Once you've got CafeTran Espresso running again Mar 22, 2022

Another word of advice, coming from my own experiences.

Once you've got CafeTran Espresso running again, export its settings to an external file:

Screen Shot 2022-03-22 at 09.06.13

[Edited at 2022-03-22 08:07 GMT]

ibz
ibz  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Jean and Hans Mar 22, 2022

Thanks a lot to both of you!
I'll try it and keep my fingers crossed
My Mac OS version is Catalina, so this should not be a problem, right?

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:11
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Keep us posted please Mar 22, 2022

ibz wrote:

Thanks a lot to both of you!
I'll try it and keep my fingers crossed
My Mac OS version is Catalina, so this should not be a problem, right?

I'm using Catalina too- but sticking to the tried and tested Cornetto version of CafeTran - and I can't allow any software issues to disrupt my work.

Please keep us up to date !

ibz
ibz  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Tom Mar 22, 2022

Will do!
The re-installation as recommended by Jean worked fine - everything is here except the licence 😬 and I can't import my current licence. But I contacted Igor and will surely get a new one. So stay tuned...

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
thanks Mar 22, 2022

ibz wrote:

Will do!
The re-installation as recommended by Jean worked fine - everything is here except the licence 😬 and I can't import my current licence. But I contacted Igor and will surely get a new one. So stay tuned...

Thanks- as a Mac user I always expect that by clicking on the button (see arrow) the application will update itself.

I dislike the idea of needing to bother Igor personally to get the licence updated.

So I think I'll wait in the hope that at some point, the application will update itself with a click on that button.

For now, with Cornetto on Catalina, I'm a happy translator, with no immediate need to upgrade - unless I'm missing some amazing new feature!

What's different/better about the upgraded version?

Screenshot

ibz
ibz  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Tom Mar 22, 2022

Oh, I wasn't aware of that button! Maybe I should try it...?
Though I'm a little bit worried as I have two licences which I use on three computers. Not sure which one is valid for which computer and I would hate to mess up everything.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Don't touch that button! Mar 22, 2022

ibz wrote:

Oh, I wasn't aware of that button! Maybe I should try it...?
Though I'm a little bit worried as I have two licences which I use on three computers. Not sure which one is valid for which computer and I would hate to mess up everything.

I'm always tempted to click on that button - but I hold back!

ibz
ibz  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved Mar 22, 2022

I just got a new licence file from Igor (thanks again for this splendid support!) and everything is in order now.

Thanks to everyone for helping me - I really appreciate it.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
New features? Mar 22, 2022

ibz wrote:

I just got a new licence file from Igor (thanks again for this splendid support!) and everything is in order now.

Thanks to everyone for helping me - I really appreciate it.

What are the new features?

Jean Dimitriadis
English to French
+ ...
CafeTran updates Mar 22, 2022

New CafeTran Espresso releases are announced at and can be downloaded from: https://cafetran.freshdesk.com/support/discussions/forums/6000148195 (one can also subscribe to receive an email notification).

The ChangeLog offers an aggregate view of all announce
... See more
New CafeTran Espresso releases are announced at and can be downloaded from: https://cafetran.freshdesk.com/support/discussions/forums/6000148195 (one can also subscribe to receive an email notification).

The ChangeLog offers an aggregate view of all announced changes over the years for an easy overview: https://github.com/idimitriadis0/TheCafeTranFiles/wiki/0-ChangeLog

There haven't been too many updates since the last Cornetto version (February 2021). You can review the changes and judge for yourself.

Some highlights since Cornetto that are of value to me include:

- Changing tabs divider orientation does not require a restart.
- Amazon Polly (Text to Speech) for both source and target segments
- Tracking Changes (feature compatible with native and Trados projects)
- Single-click addition of the selected terms to the glossary or translation memory

[Edited at 2022-03-22 13:21 GMT]
Collapse

Jean Dimitriadis
English to French
+ ...
CafeTran update Mar 22, 2022

Oh, and I am glad to read that you've sorted this out, Irene!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Urgent: Problem updating

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »