De persoon die dit onderwerp heeft geplaatst: Dave Greatrix
Dave Greatrix
Dave Greatrix  Identity Verified
Verenigd Koninkrijk
Local time: 03:16
Nederlands naar Engels
+ ...
May 8, 2003

I have just been alerted to a posting at Translatorscafe.com.

It pertains to a job also posted earlier at ProZ.

They have tried the following \"trick\".

$4 dollars for 300 words.

Is that meant to sound more attractive than 1.33333333 cents per word.

Aaaaaaargh!!

Jane Lamb-Ruiz (X)
Jane Lamb-Ruiz (X)  Identity Verified
Frans naar Engels
+ ...
agree with May 8, 2003

yuck...

Fiona N�voa
Fiona N�voa
Portugal
Lid 2003
Portugees naar Engels
+ ...
cunning lot! May 8, 2003

Yes, I had a look at that one too. They must think they\'re really clever. Hope no one falls for it!

Blanca Amoroso
Blanca Amoroso  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:16
Lid 2004
Engels naar Spaans
+ ...
Naahh!! May 8, 2003

They must be kidding...what an insult!

Dave Greatrix
Dave Greatrix  Identity Verified
Verenigd Koninkrijk
Nederlands naar Engels
+ ...
ONDERWERPSTARTER
reply May 8, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-05-08 20:42, dblanche wrote:

They must be kidding...what an insult!

I did send an e-mail telling them that their rates were an insult to our industry.

As yet no reply.

SimplyMe (X)
SimplyMe (X)
Engels naar Duits
Why... May 9, 2003

don\'t you allow a free company to ask freely for rates that allows every free translator to choose freely if he wants to accept this?

Calling this an \"insult\" is an insult to that company.

If YOU do not want to accept this rates - YOU do not have to.

If other translators - maybe newcomers - are willing to accept such rates - JUST LET THEM.

Trying to expose such agencies leads to just one thing. They won\'t ask for such l
... See more
don\'t you allow a free company to ask freely for rates that allows every free translator to choose freely if he wants to accept this?

If other translators - maybe newcomers - are willing to accept such rates - JUST LET THEM.

Trying to expose such agencies leads to just one thing. They won\'t ask for such low rates again - and will stop providing chances for newcomers or for people living in countries where such low rates are a common sight.

You are free to choose if you accept such rates or not. So do not try to impose your own single perception upon others.

Just keep silent if something\'s not your cup of tea. But stop trying to expose others. It\'s just one group of people you do harm to - your fellow translators.

Freedom is the right to choose freely.
Collapse

sylvie malich (X)
sylvie malich (X)
Duitsland
Local time: 04:16
Duits naar Engels
Good for you, David! May 9, 2003

[quote]

On 2003-05-08 22:31, (Dave) wrote:

Quote:

I did send an e-mail telling them that their rates were an insult to our industry.

As yet no reply.

I was offered a job yesterday to translate 50,000 words for 3 US cents a SOURCE word (DE>EN) and a 2 week deadline. These people just have to be told and told again until they don\'t dare to submit such a ridiculous offer.

Rick Henry
Rick Henry  Identity Verified
Verenigde Staten
Local time: 21:16
Italiaans naar Engels
+ ...
Oh, PLEASE tell me where this is common. May 9, 2003

1.3 cents a word is common?!? Please tell me where. No, really. I\'m curious. It\'s not common anywhere my language pairs are used. Nor yours, as far as I know.

I think I can safely say that his \"single perception\" is shared by most in this profession.

I think I can also safely say he does me (or any other translator) no harm whatsoever by \"exposing\" (an apt choice in words) these agencies.

R.

==

... See more
1.3 cents a word is common?!? Please tell me where. No, really. I\'m curious. It\'s not common anywhere my language pairs are used. Nor yours, as far as I know.

I think I can safely say that his \"single perception\" is shared by most in this profession.

I think I can also safely say he does me (or any other translator) no harm whatsoever by \"exposing\" (an apt choice in words) these agencies.

R.

==

Quote:

On 2003-05-09 05:34, SimplyMe wrote:

Trying to expose such agencies leads to just one thing. They won\'t ask for such low rates again - and will stop providing chances for newcomers or for people living in countries where such low rates are a common sight.

You are free to choose if you accept such rates or not. So do not try to impose your own single perception upon others.

Just keep silent if something\'s not your cup of tea. But stop trying to expose others. It\'s just one group of people you do harm to - your fellow translators.

Collapse

Blanca Amoroso
Blanca Amoroso  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:16
Lid 2004
Engels naar Spaans
+ ...
You don't seem to get my point... May 9, 2003

Quote:

If other translators - maybe newcomers - are willing to accept such rates - JUST LET ... See more
Quote:

I agree that the rates acceptance depends on several factors and do completely agree that every translator has the choice of accepting low rates or not, therefore, I do not intend to establish a discussion about a subject matter that is quite known among us. But I mean that there must be a limit! The rate above referred is not a common rate, not even in South America, where I live, it is much below the lowest rate. I remember that a short time ago a proofreading job was posted here asking to proofread for 0.01 per source, and it was highly criticized by proz members, so imagine if you apply this rate for translation. So I would like to know where this is common.

I think that if you provide quality work to your clients, you deserve to be well paid, regardless of the country where you live, but the decision to accept low rates is only yours.

Best regards,

Blanca.

Collapse

OlafK
OlafK
Verenigd Koninkrijk
Engels naar Duits
+ ...
Freedom of Speech May 9, 2003

Quote:

If other translators - maybe newcomers - are willing to accept such rates - JUST LET ... See more
Quote:

Of course this is an insult and of course we have the right to complain about and expose dubious clients. Saying that some newcomer might accept a job at such a low rate just misses the point. Newcomer or not, nobody can survive with rates like that. Professionals will set their rates at a reasonable level. But there are a lot of hobby translators about, some of them work for free or for a very modest reward. As far as I\'m concerned they may. None of my clients would dream of giving them a job. ▲ Collapse

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Letland
Local time: 05:16
Engels naar Lets
+ ...
Yup, you asked and I'll tell you May 9, 2003

[quote]

1.3 cents a word is common?!? Please tell me where. No, really. I\'m curious.

[quote]

It\'s common in Russia and in some of Eastern Europe\'s internal markets. Actually few days ago there was a very nice narrative in Russian group- about some artist, for whom it is known that he never accepts offers less than 400 hundred rubles per show, he\'s at home with his friend, phone rings, and he accepts 2 shows for 200 rubles each. After ringing off his friend asks- how\'s that- everybody knows you never accept for less than four hundred, to which artist replies: you see, I did quick mental arithmetic that two shows for 200 is a way better than none for 400...

[addsig]

Pieter_H
Pieter_H  Identity Verified
Noorwegen
Noors naar Nederlands
+ ...
Well, here's another "beauty" .... May 13, 2003

http://www.proz.com/job?id=36311

Demand from outsourcer:

Do not submit quotes higher than 0.03USD per source word.

It\'s about time that something is being done about such arrogance.

xxx xxx
xxx xxx
Update your profiles! May 15, 2003

Maybe we should all define our rates in our profiles so that the system will tell the posters of this kind of \"job offers\" that 100% (well, maybe 99%) of the pros will not work for their rates!

Cheers!

Diane

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

No, translators aren\'t that stupid

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »