Netherlands
Local time: 17:29
English to Dutch
+ ...
Mm... May 4, 2010

Lingua 5B wrote:

Maurizio Spagnuolo wrote:
I'm happy Google Translate confirms the Accademia della crusca

So, no plurals for English words in Italian (at least for established words such as hamburger, film, bar, cocktail, etc.)

Google MT seems to process very simple phrases nicely! I just saw it translated "two hamburgers" correctly into my native language, that's why I trusted it for Italian too.

Yes, it obviously applies to the words of English origin commonly used in modern Italian.

In my experience, when Google Translate doesn't know a word (either the source word is unknown or it doesn't know a translation), it simply copies it. So it might just be that GT simply doesn't know the Italian for 'hamburger', blindly copies the word and ends up doing it right, just once, but by sheer accident.

Giulia TAPPI
Giulia TAPPI  Identity Verified
France
French to Italian
+ ...
Back to panini May 4, 2010

In France, most people ask for "a" paninI. But sometimes it is even worse. I guess somebody said paninI is plural, and the singular is with O, so once I saw a paninIO!

Another time, I asked the waitress if she would like me to correct the italian terms in the menu; she told me she would ask her boss, and his prompt reply was he could not care less!

On the other hand, I agree every language takes foreign words and adapts them; let's think of the italian "bistecca", which
... See more
In France, most people ask for "a" paninI. But sometimes it is even worse. I guess somebody said paninI is plural, and the singular is with O, so once I saw a paninIO!

Another time, I asked the waitress if she would like me to correct the italian terms in the menu; she told me she would ask her boss, and his prompt reply was he could not care less!

On the other hand, I agree every language takes foreign words and adapts them; let's think of the italian "bistecca", which clearly comes from beef steak...

Have a nice day!

Giulia
Collapse

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
As far as bimbo is concerned... May 4, 2010

... I doubt that many (if any) non-Italian speaking NES are aware of the word's etymology. I certainly wasn't, and I was highly tickled the first (and second, and third...) time I saw a "bimbo a bordo" sticker in a car window.

Anyway, I'll take your "bimbo" and raise you "sexy shop". What have you got to say about that, eh?

[Edited at 2010-05-04 08:00 GMT]

Susanna Martoni
Susanna Martoni  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
Bimbi, Spaghetti May 4, 2010

Marie-Hélène Hayles wrote:

... I doubt that many (if any) non-Italian speaking NES are aware of the word's etymology. I certainly wasn't, and I was highly tickled the first (and second, and third...) time I saw a "bimbo a bordo" sticker in a car window.

Anyway, I'll take your "bimbo" and raise you "sexy shop". What have you got to say about that, eh?

[Edited at 2010-05-04 08:00 GMT]

More confusion about Bimbo and Bimbi:
in Italy we also have a very famous kitchen appliance called Bimbi.
(something crushing, grounding, cooking, warming and preparing food)
Everyone talks about this robot as if it were a real Bimbo!

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote: ...try our "espaguetis"! Italians say we make them disgustingly soft (and I agree), but this is how our mothers have prepared them ever since pasta exists in Spain.

AAhhhhhhhhhh!
I am sure that you enjoy your Spaghetti very much, Tomás, but no - thanks - next time maybe.
And that restaurant.. ah OK next time even that restaurant.
And next time I'll prepare a big big quantity of spaghetti for you all

/PASTE_SECCHE_PAG42.jpg

(am I able to insert a photo or... is it so difficult, Susanna?)

Susanna Martoni
Italy
Member (2009)
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
Pity May 4, 2010

It should have been a nice dish of Espaguetis.

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:29
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
One cat is enough! May 4, 2010

We named our cat Koshka, which is Russian for cat (кошка). But my wife sometimes used to call her "Koshky", as a sort of affectionate familiar form of her name. I explained that koshki (кошки) is the plural, and one cat is enough for us!

Susanna Martoni
Italy
Member (2009)
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
I love it May 4, 2010

Karen W wrote:

And how about ta-G-liatelli with a nice big 'G' in the middle of there? Although the problem exists both ways round. As for plurals of English words in Italian, should they use an 's' or not?? VIPs for example, who are already terrible enough to contemplate in themselves, all muttered in one breath...
Let's hope this isn't going to give me bad dreams...Notte

I love this kind of terrible things.
With very suggestive and personal pronounciations.
Intersting; a case study.

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
visa May 4, 2010

I'll never get used to the English "a visa". Seeing something like that on official documents makes me shiver ...

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
No a translation issue May 4, 2010

The main gist of the poster's complaint seems to be a personal foible regarding non-native or anglicised pronunciation of foreign words. In my view this is taking petty pedantry to an ridiculous extreme. Either that or demonstrating a desire to show off (e.g. knowing that pannini is plural, how to pronounce latte... puhlease) in the face of those poor plebs too unenlightened to appreciate such linguistic arcanery.
There will always be sounds or grammatical forms in our languages that are
... See more
The main gist of the poster's complaint seems to be a personal foible regarding non-native or anglicised pronunciation of foreign words. In my view this is taking petty pedantry to an ridiculous extreme. Either that or demonstrating a desire to show off (e.g. knowing that pannini is plural, how to pronounce latte... puhlease) in the face of those poor plebs too unenlightened to appreciate such linguistic arcanery.
There will always be sounds or grammatical forms in our languages that are difficult or uncomfortable for non-natives to deal with, so live with it. Life's too short.
Collapse

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
French to English
OO(h) matron! May 4, 2010

Anyway, I'll take your "bimbo" and raise you "sexy shop"

Does it have a large.... frontage?

To return to the point as issue, offhand, I can't think of a single gerund that French has borrowed from English that is used 'correctly'. And some uses are an absolute travesty. I think they just like the sound of 'ing'. And who can blame them?

David Wright
David Wright  Identity Verified
Austria
German to English
+ ...
Absolutely agree with Nielmac May 4, 2010

Of course it's "two paninis," and of course it's "the spaghetti is..." etc. The grocer is speaking ENGLISH, the language spoken in ENGLAND (and other places of minor interest)) and not ITALIAN, which is spoken in ITALY. Please remember this on your travels. Asking for things in ITALIAN in an ENGLISH grocer's shop is not likely to achieve the desired communicative objective, and will earn you - deservedly or not - a few choice epith... See more
Of course it's "two paninis," and of course it's "the spaghetti is..." etc. The grocer is speaking ENGLISH, the language spoken in ENGLAND (and other places of minor interest)) and not ITALIAN, which is spoken in ITALY. Please remember this on your travels. Asking for things in ITALIAN in an ENGLISH grocer's shop is not likely to achieve the desired communicative objective, and will earn you - deservedly or not - a few choice epithets in very native-like ENGLISH.

[Edited at 2010-05-04 10:55 GMT]
Collapse

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
... and "a criteria" May 4, 2010

efreitag wrote:

I'll never get used to the English "a visa". Seeing something like that on official documents makes me shiver ...

I hadn't realised - shame on me - that "visa" was (were?) plural! And then there's the currently ubiquitous "a criteria" and "a media" - ugh, I can't bear it!
Cheerfully resigned,
Jenny ('O' level Latin, Hons)

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
ing words in French May 4, 2010

Charlie Bavington wrote:

Anyway, I'll take your "bimbo" and raise you "sexy shop"

Does it have a large.... frontage?

To return to the point as issue, offhand, I can't think of a single gerund that French has borrowed from English that is used 'correctly'. And some uses are an absolute travesty. I think they just like the sound of 'ing'. And who can blame them?

Oui, par exemple, "Je te rencontrerai au bowling ce soir. Laisse ta voiture dans le parking".

Back to Italian - what about "graffiti"? "Oh look, there's a new graffito outside the post office" - how posh does that sound?
Jenny again.

Susanna Garcia
Susanna Garcia  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Hmmm May 4, 2010

neilmac wrote:

There will always be sounds or grammatical forms in our languages that are difficult or uncomfortable for non-natives to deal with, so live with it. Life's too short.

Neil - take a look at the Forum's title, then go have a camomile tea, or a hot latte to calm down

Suzi

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:29
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Bimbo May 4, 2010

Recent news enlightened me:

The male form is either bimboy or him-bo. Har!!

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Two paninis...............NOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »