Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
Off topic: What UK magazine would you recommend for a subscription?
Thread poster: Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Anne Carnot
Anne Carnot  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 16:20
Member (2009)
English to French
The Economist Oct 20, 2009

Definetely, even if you don't agree with what they write Last year's Social Science paper was an extract of an article of this magazine, which was published just a few months before the exam... they do this quite often, so it's a good bet, and the language level is very good.
Otherwise, Sunday papers are quite good too as is The Specator, very British.
Good luck!

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
WOW! Oct 20, 2009

Thank you so much for all the tremendously useful hints!

Initially I did not want to subscribe to two separate publications, but I see a potential not only of being more up-to-date but also of having a nice time with some of the suggestions. As Anne reports, it is true that texts from The Economist often land in the DipTrans' papers. Another frequent source seems to be Sunday newspapers. I am slightly concerned that The Economist might be less agreeable for me as a Spanish citizen,
... See more
Thank you so much for all the tremendously useful hints!

Initially I did not want to subscribe to two separate publications, but I see a potential not only of being more up-to-date but also of having a nice time with some of the suggestions. As Anne reports, it is true that texts from The Economist often land in the DipTrans' papers. Another frequent source seems to be Sunday newspapers. I am slightly concerned that The Economist might be less agreeable for me as a Spanish citizen, so after all I think I will choose something else.

After considering all pro's and con's, I think I am going to take two suggestions: Jenny's suggestion (with Anne's confirmation) about The Spectator --to be honest, I'd never heard of it, which means I am REALLY rusty about British matters and media-- and Giles' great advice on The Telegraph. All in all, both subscriptions will mean a cost of GBP 212 for a year, which is acceptable for my purposes, as it will only be a fraction of the exam fees and the British Council's fees for sitting the exam in their premises.

I thank you all so very much for the great advice and information!!
Collapse

LuciaC
LuciaC
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:20
English to Italian
+ ...
DipTrans Oct 20, 2009

I used to teach a preparatory course for the DipTrans and I quickly went through a pile of exam papers gathering dust in a corner...
Here are a few sources, at random:
- The Guardian
- The Times
- Money Marketing
- The Spectator
- The Observer
- The Economist
- The EU website
- The New Scientist
- The Scientific American
- various websites
- an extract from a book by Alain De Botton

and many more.

... See more
I used to teach a preparatory course for the DipTrans and I quickly went through a pile of exam papers gathering dust in a corner...
Here are a few sources, at random:
- The Guardian
- The Times
- Money Marketing
- The Spectator
- The Observer
- The Economist
- The EU website
- The New Scientist
- The Scientific American
- various websites
- an extract from a book by Alain De Botton

and many more.

Good luck!
Collapse

urbom
urbom
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
another weekly Oct 20, 2009

For those who disagree with the Spectator's editorial stance, the New Statesman might prove a better fit:
http://www.newstatesman.com/

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Lost in stances Oct 20, 2009

urbom wrote:
For those who disagree with the Spectator's editorial stance, the New Statesman might prove a better fit

(I have to say that the subscriptions have been ordered already, so this is just to gather more information)

Can you tell me more about this editorial stance? What would be disagreeable in The Spectator's editorial stance in your opinion?

Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 11:20
Portuguese to English
+ ...
It depends Oct 20, 2009

It all depends on what you like. There are plenty of magazines about sport, fashion, cooking, railways, cars, pets... I remember WH Smith's in Coventry with a whole shelf devoted to magazines.

One magazine I always remember, although a bit old-fashioned, is This England (www.thisengland.co.uk), packed with information and pictures of the beautiful English countryside. And it's quarterly, not mon
... See more
It all depends on what you like. There are plenty of magazines about sport, fashion, cooking, railways, cars, pets... I remember WH Smith's in Coventry with a whole shelf devoted to magazines.

One magazine I always remember, although a bit old-fashioned, is This England (www.thisengland.co.uk), packed with information and pictures of the beautiful English countryside. And it's quarterly, not monthly, so shouldn't cost too much.

Regarding news, I like the Economist and Business Week. Another suggestion is to buy a Saturday or Sunday paper which is packed with supplements that make fascinating reading. When I lived in the UK I always indulged in the Daily Telegraph - never could do the crossword, though.
Collapse

urbom
urbom
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
YMMV Oct 20, 2009

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

What would be disagreeable in The Spectator's editorial stance in your opinion?

I didn't actually give my own opinion of The Spectator in that post.

Someone on Wikipedia, writing about the Spectator, wrote:

It generally takes a right wing, conservative editorial line ... Like its sister publication The Daily Telegraph, The Spectator is generally Atlanticist and Eurosceptic in outlook, favouring close ties with the United States rather than with the European Union...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Spectator

Someone on Wikipedia, writing about the New Statesman, wrote:

The New Statesman is a British left-wing political magazine published weekly in London. ... The magazine is committed to "development, human rights and the environment, global issues the mainstream press often ignores".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Statesman

Horses for courses, as they say.

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot! Oct 20, 2009

urbom wrote:
Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:
What would be disagreeable in The Spectator's editorial stance in your opinion?

I didn't actually give my own opinion of The Spectator in that post.
orses for courses, as they say.[/quote]

OK! Thanks a lot for the information. Hm... I think I am fine with The Spectator then. I must be getting old or som'ing!

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
Another suggestion Oct 20, 2009

Not The Economist, because as well as being biased, it's dull.
Not The Guardian or The Telegraph, because they're biased (though I love them both)
Not Private Eye, because both the investigative journalism and the humour would be incomprehensible to a foreigner.

How about The Week? It's basically articles and bits of articles lifted from other publications, it's very lively and diverse, and it would be perfect for your ne
... See more
Not The Economist, because as well as being biased, it's dull.
Not The Guardian or The Telegraph, because they're biased (though I love them both)
Not Private Eye, because both the investigative journalism and the humour would be incomprehensible to a foreigner.

How about The Week? It's basically articles and bits of articles lifted from other publications, it's very lively and diverse, and it would be perfect for your needs.

http://www.theweek.co.uk/
Collapse

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
If you don't mind a short time on your computer Oct 20, 2009

You could always subscribe to The Guardian's online version (pdf). Then download and print all or some page before retreating to your garden/a nice cafe to read. I haven't tried myself, but it seems to a cheaper and more reliable way of getting news than by snail mail (the national postal strike is due to begin this Thursday and i have a feeling it might last for some time).

The price for Guardian only appears to be GBP9.99, and a bit more if want The Observer as well. You'll find i
... See more
You could always subscribe to The Guardian's online version (pdf). Then download and print all or some page before retreating to your garden/a nice cafe to read. I haven't tried myself, but it seems to a cheaper and more reliable way of getting news than by snail mail (the national postal strike is due to begin this Thursday and i have a feeling it might last for some time).

The price for Guardian only appears to be GBP9.99, and a bit more if want The Observer as well. You'll find it here. Click on today's paper and then the Save button at the bottom which should take you to the page with prices.
Collapse

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The Week sounds really good Oct 20, 2009

philgoddard wrote:
How about The Week? It's basically articles and bits of articles lifted from other publications, it's very lively and diverse, and it would be perfect for your needs.
http://www.theweek.co.uk/

This does look like a very interesting option indeed! I have ordered my The Spectator and Weekly Telegraph subscriptions and the budget is used up already, but I thank you for a very insightful proposal!

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not the same! Oct 20, 2009

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo wrote:
You could always subscribe to The Guardian's online version (pdf). Then download and print all or some page before retreating to your garden/a nice cafe to read.

Indeed it looks like a very cost-effective solution as far as the price per issue goes, but honestly I would not have the humour to print the pages locally. It is not as environmentally-friendly as it may look. Industrial-scale printing and the increasing approach of printing locally with in-country digital printing systems generate a much lower carbon footprint all things considered.

On top of that, nothing compares to the look and feel of a professionally printed image... despite the fact that you have to cope with all the ads in most pages!

I thank you nevertheless for a very sensible suggestion!

Nicholas Stedman
Nicholas Stedman  Identity Verified
Italy
French to English
Some other suggestions all free on the web Oct 20, 2009

I'm amazed or have I not read carefully enough? no-one has mentioned prospect magazine!

http://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/
and lots of the best articles are free on the web

Also for "middle england" I recommend Jeremy "Top Gear" Clarkson's articles for the Times, also free on the Times website

Angela Dickson (X)
Angela Dickson (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Maybe not relevant now... Oct 21, 2009

... This possibly won't help you pass your exams, but when they're over I recommend the London Review of Books:

http://www.lrb.co.uk/

which isn't just a narrowly focused literary magazine - it contains long articles on a whole variety of subjects. The writers do talk about the "issues of the moment" but usually in a more reflective way than your average daily newspaper.

Rachel Fell
Rachel Fell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Prospect Oct 21, 2009

I was about to mention this - it is monthly and also has a good crossword!
And in "Private Eye" they often have a good "Lookalike" submission, - e.g. http://www.private-eye.co.uk/sections.php?section_link=lookalikes&

[Edited at 2009-10-21 11:38 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

What UK magazine would you recommend for a subscription?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »