Petition: Help make Phrase/Memsource MXLIFFs compatible with tools other than Trados/MemoQ (DVX3)
Thread poster: Jade-Roxanne Garnham
Jade-Roxanne Garnham
Jade-Roxanne Garnham  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 15:11
French to English
+ ...
Nov 9, 2023

Hi gang,

Phrase/Memsource have heard my pleas, and have posted a petition to make their MXLIFFs compatible with CAT tools other than Trados/MemoQ.

For context, I have been using Atril's Déjà Vu X3 (DVX3) for 10-odd years, and most clients would send me compatible XLIFFs (MQXLIFF/SDLXLIFF) so that we each retained a copy of our work.
But with Phrase/Memsource taking over the market for a lot of the agencies with whom I work, things have gotten complicated...
... See more
Hi gang,

Phrase/Memsource have heard my pleas, and have posted a petition to make their MXLIFFs compatible with CAT tools other than Trados/MemoQ.

For context, I have been using Atril's Déjà Vu X3 (DVX3) for 10-odd years, and most clients would send me compatible XLIFFs (MQXLIFF/SDLXLIFF) so that we each retained a copy of our work.
But with Phrase/Memsource taking over the market for a lot of the agencies with whom I work, things have gotten complicated...
If the Download feature is enabled, you can download an MXLIFF or bilingual docx, but neither are compatible with anything other than Trados/MemoQ.
This means that if I want to save my translations to my local TMs, I have to create an alignment file at the end of a project, and obviously cannot automatically use my existing TMs to aid me during.

I contacted Phrase/Memsource, and they're happy to think about adding basic XLIFF compatibility as a feature, but the petition will require interest (and upvotes) to get there.

If anyone here is in the same boat as me, would like to be able to work offline, use their own TMs as well as their clients', and save their finalised translations to their local TMs, check out the following link and let Phrase/Memsource know:

https://support.phrase.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/11204912728476-Make-MXLIFFs-compatible-with-DVX3-and-other-TMS-tools

Please and thank you!

JR
Collapse

Rodolfo Raya
Rodolfo Raya  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:11
English to Spanish
Valid XLIFF should be supported by any tool Nov 9, 2023

XLIFF is an interchange format. Tools that claim to support XLIFF should be able to export and import XLIFF from other applications.

If Phrase/Memsource XLIFF is valid and a tool can't handle it, then the problem is not with Phrase, but with the tool that doesn't support proper XLIFF.

As far as I know, Swordfish can also handle Phrase/Memsource XLIFF. I checked some sample files and they seemed valid, so I won't blame Phrase if the tool you prefer doesn't work with XLI
... See more
XLIFF is an interchange format. Tools that claim to support XLIFF should be able to export and import XLIFF from other applications.

If Phrase/Memsource XLIFF is valid and a tool can't handle it, then the problem is not with Phrase, but with the tool that doesn't support proper XLIFF.

As far as I know, Swordfish can also handle Phrase/Memsource XLIFF. I checked some sample files and they seemed valid, so I won't blame Phrase if the tool you prefer doesn't work with XLIFF.

Regards,
Rodolfo
Collapse

Jorge Payan

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 16:11
English to Russian
Rename mxliff to xliff Nov 9, 2023

Did you try to rename mxliff to xliff?

Jade-Roxanne Garnham
Jade-Roxanne Garnham  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your feedback Nov 9, 2023

Thanks for getting back to me!

I realise that XLIFFs are supposed to be compatible with all (or at least most) CAT tools, are all other forms of XLIFF work with DVX3.
I use SDLXLIFFs and MQXLIFFs all the time.
But MXLIFFs are, intentionally, only compatible with Phrase itself, as well as Trados and MemoQ.
It doesn't look like a DVX3 problem, but rather a Phrase one.

I have tried everything I could think of, from renaming to fiddling with every little f
... See more
Thanks for getting back to me!

I realise that XLIFFs are supposed to be compatible with all (or at least most) CAT tools, are all other forms of XLIFF work with DVX3.
I use SDLXLIFFs and MQXLIFFs all the time.
But MXLIFFs are, intentionally, only compatible with Phrase itself, as well as Trados and MemoQ.

I have tried everything I could think of, from renaming to fiddling with every little filter I could find, but DVX3 and Phrase are not friends and I apparently cannot force them to be.
Phrase, on the other hand, can sit them down in a room together and turn them into total besties as long as I'm not the only person interested in this as a feature
Collapse

Rodolfo Raya
Rodolfo Raya  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:11
English to Spanish
XLIFF compatibility Nov 9, 2023

Jade-Roxanne Garnham wrote:

This is incorrect; other CAT tools can handle MXLIFF. The tool that may need to be fixed is Déjà Vu.

Jorge Payan

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 16:11
English to Russian
DVX3 Nov 9, 2023

If Trados and memoQ can handle mxliff unlike DVX3, it is DVX3 where the problem is.
When you add a file to DVX, there is a list of supported files. It includes XLIFF. And in its turn, the XLIFF category includes mqxliff/mqxlz and sdlxliff, but not mxliff. That means Atril didn't bother themselves to create an mxliff filter.

[Edited at 2023-11-09 16:40 GMT]

Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Try Cafetran, it handles mxliff like a charm Nov 9, 2023

[quote]Jade-Roxanne Garnham wrote:

Hi gang,

Mario Cerutti
Mario Cerutti  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 22:11
Italian to Japanese
+ ...
DVX3 can do it Nov 10, 2023

... but DVX3 and Phrase are not friends and I apparently cannot force them to be.

They can be made friends. In the Property pane just choose the XLIFF filter to import the mxliff files, then put a certain regular expression into the "Ignore Regex Matches" in order to manage tags correctly. We do this all the time when we work with DVX3. (Yes, Cafetran is a way better at this.) I can send you the regular expression privately, if you want.

[Edited at 2023-11-10 02:15 GMT]

[Edited at 2023-11-10 02:16 GMT]

Matthias Brombach

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Correct Nov 10, 2023

Mario Cerutti wrote:

... but DVX3 and Phrase are not friends and I apparently cannot force them to be.

They can be made friends. In the Property pane just choose the XLIFF filter to import the mxliff files, then put a certain regular expression into the "Ignore Regex Matches" in order to manage tags correctly. We do this all the time when we work with DVX3. (Yes, Cafetran is a way better at this.) I can send you the regular expression privately, if you want.

[Edited at 2023-11-10 02:15 GMT]

[Edited at 2023-11-10 02:16 GMT]

Have a look here:

https://www.proz.com/forum/déjà_vu_support/347716-regex_to_work_with_memsource_mxliff.html

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Petition: Help make Phrase/Memsource MXLIFFs compatible with tools other than Trados/MemoQ (DVX3)

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »