Simple text editor for Windows -- any recommendations?
Thread poster: Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 10:25
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Sep 1, 2021

Hello everyone

Today, my text editor (Akelpad) stopped working. I mean, it insisted that a UTF8 file is ANSI and I could not convince it otherwise. So, I'm on the prowl for a new text editor. I would like something simple but capable of doing the most basic functions, including using wildcards or regex in find/replace, the ability to correctly guess a file's encoding (or to allow me to specify it and then reload the file with that encoding), the ability to open individual files i
... See more
Hello everyone

Today, my text editor (Akelpad) stopped working. I mean, it insisted that a UTF8 file is ANSI and I could not convince it otherwise. So, I'm on the prowl for a new text editor. I would like something simple but capable of doing the most basic functions, including using wildcards or regex in find/replace, the ability to correctly guess a file's encoding (or to allow me to specify it and then reload the file with that encoding), the ability to open individual files in individual windows, and the ability to change the display font. Free or paid.

Do you have any recommendations?

Samuel
Collapse

Philippe Locquet
Philippe Locquet  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 09:25
English to French
+ ...
EmEditor Sep 1, 2021

Hi,

For me, EmEditor is the best to handle big files without crashing and opening them fast.
It can also use Regex.
https://www.emeditor.com/#features

My bests

Jean Dimitriadis

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 09:25
Danish to English
+ ...
Notepad++ Sep 1, 2021

Have a look at Notepad++.

https://notepad-plus-plus.org/

Endre Both
Darius Sciuka
Recep Kurt
John Fossey
Gerard de Noord
Jean Dimitriadis
Philip Lees

wotswot
wotswot  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 10:25
Member (2011)
French to English
Try Editpad Pro Sep 1, 2021

Notepad ++ is very good, but I've been using Editpad Pro ([url=https://www.editpadpro.com/[/url]) for many years and it's never let me down, even with huge TBX/TMX files. And you can choose any system font for the display.
As for file encoding, it has a really useful file encoding feature that detects (best-guess) the file's encoding and lets you easily switch encoding, say between UTF8, Unicode 16 little/big endian, and many more encoding options then you preview the result before saving
... See more
Notepad ++ is very good, but I've been using Editpad Pro ([url=https://www.editpadpro.com/[/url]) for many years and it's never let me down, even with huge TBX/TMX files. And you can choose any system font for the display.
As for file encoding, it has a really useful file encoding feature that detects (best-guess) the file's encoding and lets you easily switch encoding, say between UTF8, Unicode 16 little/big endian, and many more encoding options then you preview the result before saving (or abandoning).
And its Regex is very powerful too see the developer's other products at https://www.just-great-software.com/).
In short, it does everything you mentioned (and probably much more) for a very reasonable licence price (€49).
Good support too.

Richard
Collapse

Andriy Yasharov
Andriy Yasharov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 11:25
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Text Edit Plus for PC Sep 1, 2021

I use Text Edit Plus available at vovsoft.com/software/text-edit-plus

Key Features are:

Spell checker

Syntax Highlighter

Generate text stats

Encode and decode text

Combine lines

Command system for extracting desired text

Delete empty lines

Delete duplicate lines

Filter lines

Generat
... See more
I use Text Edit Plus available at vovsoft.com/software/text-edit-plus

Key Features are:

Spell checker

Syntax Highlighter

Generate text stats

Encode and decode text

Combine lines

Command system for extracting desired text

Delete empty lines

Delete duplicate lines

Filter lines

Generate e-mail lists

Generate word lists

Lowercase and uppercase conversion

Regular expressions

Randomize lines

Reverse lines

Sort lines

Split lines

Crop lines

Unicode Detector

UTF-8 support
Collapse

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:25
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
jEdit Sep 2, 2021

jEdit is a Java program, thus, cross-platform. It is very powerful but can be used in a simple, open-and-edit fashion. Its functionality can be expanded with tons of plugins (I recommend to immediately install TextTools).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Simple text editor for Windows -- any recommendations?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »