Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 09:34
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Stepan May 21, 2021

Stepan Konev wrote:
I have checked it right now: I scrolled to segment 603 and pressed F7 from there. Studio checked spelling to the end of the document and then returned to segment 1 and stopped at segment 603.

This reminds me of a pet peeve in Trados: when I do a find or a find/replace, it stops at the last found instance. It does not (like MS Word does) return the cursor to the point where you were when you began the find or find/replace operation. This means that I have to **remember** to take note of the segment number where I'm at *before* I start using find or find/replace. This is particularly annoying when I proofread a file and I decide to do a manual global find/replace throughout the file, and then continue proofreading from where I've left off.

Other peeves...
- I keep forgetting that Shift+Delete is means "delete" and not "cut" in Trados.
- Sometimes something breaks in Trados and it stops finding stuff with the find or find/replace dialog -- when you realise this, simply exit Trados and restart it, and the find dialog works again, but sometimes you don't realise that the reason why Trados says nothing is found is because Trados broke and not because the text isn't really present.
- It's annoying that Trados doesn't remember that you've used track changes on a file during a previous session (like MS Word does).
- Oh, I thoroughly dislike that you can't accept or reject just part of a change tracked piece of text -- you have to reject the entire deletion (or insertion) and then re-do the deletion (or insertion) on just the words that you want deleted or inserted.
- And it's annoying what happens if you use tracked changes across tags or formatting, as it makes it look like you've made a very big edit when in fact you just changed the formatting slightly.
- MemoQ's ribbon is better than Trados' (although MemoQ also has its share of oddities, e.g. some of the menu buttons are directly on the window bar instead of on the ribbon... huh... what's up with that?).
- Those tabs that slide open when you hover your mouse over them... nice idea, but the tabs are right next to the scroll bar, so you end up opening the tabs accidentally quite often, and then you have to wait a second or two for the tab to close again so that you can continue working.

MemoQ, on the other hand...
- To export, you right-click the file and select "export". Then, to import, you'd think you right-click the file and select "import", but no: you select the file, and then use an "import" button on the ribbon.
- Sometimes, it synchronizes after every single edit (the way to solve this is to plug out your internet cable so that there is no internet, and then you just have to press Escape to cancel the error message).
- Erm... when marking false positives in the QA procedure, you can't select multiple issues and mark them all as false positive all at once. You have to mark them one by one (or mark them by category, which is rarely ideal).
- There is no easy way to see comments in MemoQ: you can hover over the comment icon, but you have to be a VERY QUICK reader because the tooltip disappears after 2-3 seconds again (the alternative is to double-click the comment icon, but then it opens a new window which isn't simple to close again).
- Oh, and no drag and drop to add files to a project!
- And a big one: the only way to archive projects from the list of projects (so that the list doesn't get full) is to move them to the recycle bin and then hope you don't accidentally empty the recycle bin one day.
- You can only save one username/password combination per server (you can't e.g. save a translator username and a reviewer username both).
- Most importantly, it's very difficult/cumbersome to roll back changes when you messed something up. You must have remembered to export an MQXLIFF file before you did that great change. With Trados, you can simply make a copy of the existing SDLXLIFF file, which is a lot simpler because the file is already there.

Well, as you can see, all products have their weak points.

[Edited at 2021-05-21 19:09 GMT]

Stepan Konev

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 10:34
English to Russian
F&R v. Spellchecker May 21, 2021

Samuel Murray wrote:
This reminds me of a pet peeve in Trados: when I do a find or a find/replace,
Maybe it works like that with Find&Replace. But I replied the remark about spellchecking. And spellchecker cycles from the point you start to the end and then from the the first segment to the point where you started.
Great overview. Thanks.
A minor addition: I don't work with anything that involves the track change feature, so this set of points is moot to me. But what I strongly support is your last point about total saving all. I considered it a major advantage first: hurray, there is no Save button, memoQ saves each next character. But my excitement was short-lived. Sometimes it is more of a hindrance than a help.

[Edited at 2021-05-21 21:49 GMT]

beronike
beronike
Spain
Local time: 09:34
English to Spanish
+ ...
My laptop seems to prefer working with MemoQ Oct 14, 2021

MemoQ is faster on my laptop (also with MemoQ server projects compared to Groupshare ones).
Working with big projects is also worse on Studio, it takes way longer to jump from one segment to the next one.
As already everyone said, each program have their strengths and weaknesses.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Opinions on popular CAT tools

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »