Saeid Hasani
Saeid Hasani  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 03:01
Persian (Farsi) to English
+ ...
Jul 27, 2009

Dear All,

I wonder if any of you have had any experience with LSP ERPs and/ or any other suitable SW to manage an LSP both front-end and back-end i.e. clients, FLs, projects and Office Affairs that you can share with me.

Do you know any commercial or free software including ERP??!!

[Edited at 2009-07-27 11:55 GMT]

Miroslav Jeftic
Miroslav Jeftic  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:01
Member (2009)
English to Serbian
+ ...
Hm. Jul 27, 2009

Are you sure you need an ERP software? Do you have some solution you are using already?
The decision regarding ERP software is not so easy and can oftern be a significant investment, so it would need a very careful analysis of your current business process and requirements, not sure a forum can help you much about that.

Gergely Vandor
Gergely Vandor
Hungary
English to Hungarian
specialized management software for LSPs Jul 27, 2009

Dear Saeid,

I beleive the first options to check are management systems specifically designed for LSPs. The ones that immediatelly come to mind are:

Beetext Flow
Plunet BusinessManager
Lido-Lang XTRF
LTC Worx
project-open
AIT Projetex

There are some systems I have little knowledge of, because they are either very expensive, or not available off-the-shelf at all, only through a contract with a large LSP.

(excuse the
... See more
Dear Saeid,

I beleive the first options to check are management systems specifically designed for LSPs. The ones that immediatelly come to mind are:

Beetext Flow
Plunet BusinessManager
Lido-Lang XTRF
LTC Worx
project-open
AIT Projetex

There are some systems I have little knowledge of, because they are either very expensive, or not available off-the-shelf at all, only through a contract with a large LSP.

(excuse the small plug) For best efficiency, I suggest checking how well such a system integrates with your translation software. For example, Beetext Flow already integrates with MemoQ Server very deeply, making project management more efficient.

Best regards,

Gergely Vandor
Lifecycle Manager, Kilgray
Collapse

Sergio Ruffolo
Sergio Ruffolo  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
QuickBooks with Customer Manager Jul 27, 2009

We have been using Quickbooks, which is very good for proposals, sales, customer information, billing, accounting and taxes, with QB Customer Manager, that does a so - so job with project management. I wish they were totally integrated, but there is a sync function that helps data integrity.

Saeid Hasani
Canada
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Gratitude Jul 28, 2009

Dear All,

Many Thanks for your input, I will check the proposed ones and come back to you.

Thank you again.

Best Regards,

Saeid

Saeid Hasani
Canada
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Question Jul 28, 2009

Miroslav Jeftic wrote:

Are you sure you need an ERP software? Do you have some solution you are using already?
The decision regarding ERP software is not so easy and can oftern be a significant investment, so it would need a very careful analysis of your current business process and requirements, not sure a forum can help you much about that.

Dear Sir,

the point is that I have just established the LSP and have not inegrated a system yet. sure we use SDL Trados as CAT tool.

can you give me some insight? certainly it is highly appreciated

Best Regards,

Saeid

Miroslav Jeftic
Miroslav Jeftic  Identity Verified
Member (2009)
English to Serbian
+ ...
Hm... Jul 28, 2009

I'm not sure, but since you've just started, maybe it wouldn't be bad to postpone your decision for a later period, to allow some time for you to better understand your needs and expectations from an ERP. Just an idea.

Anmol
Anmol
Local time: 12:31
General purpose ERPs - overkill Jul 28, 2009

Purchasing a general ERP system such as SAP would be overkill, surely, even if it has a lite version.

For an LSP-centric ERP, Gergely's list would be an excellent place to start.

A combination of Translation Office 3000 + Quicken (or Quickbooks) would meet the needs of most freelancers quite adequately.

Saeid Hasani
Canada
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Trados Aug 16, 2009

Gergely Vandor wrote:

Dear Saeid,

Beetext Flow
Plunet BusinessManager
Lido-Lang XTRF
LTC Worx
project-open
AIT Projetex

(excuse the small plug) For best efficiency, I suggest checking how well such a system integrates with your translation software. For example, Beetext Flow already integrates with MemoQ Server very deeply, making project management more efficient.

Best regards,

Gergely Vandor
Lifecycle Manager, Kilgray

thank you very much,

I have gone through them shortly, do you know anything best integrating with SDL Trados?

regards,

Philippe Morgan de Rivery
Philippe Morgan de Rivery  Identity Verified
France
Member (2009)
English to French
I recommend XTRF Oct 23, 2010

Hi,

I am using XTRF now and I am very happy about it, it can do basically all you want to do as a LSP, and you can request a free online demo so that they can show you what they can do.

I had bought the Translation module from Project Open before but I felt sorry about this: their documentation is outdated, customer support is terrible and there are bugs all the time. For instance, my core business is with Chinese language, and contrary to what they said, the Chinese c
... See more
Hi,

I am using XTRF now and I am very happy about it, it can do basically all you want to do as a LSP, and you can request a free online demo so that they can show you what they can do.

I had bought the Translation module from Project Open before but I felt sorry about this: their documentation is outdated, customer support is terrible and there are bugs all the time. For instance, my core business is with Chinese language, and contrary to what they said, the Chinese characters in my documents' titles didn't show up in their application, even with UTF-8 encoding. I ended up having the choice between giving up using the product and paying three times what I had first paid just to get it fixed, without even being sure I wouldn't have similar problems in the future... I chose the first option, and they didn't want to give me a refund. Basically, 950 euros down the drain.

There are probably other similar tools around that I am not aware of (see previous messages) but for the two ones I have tried, XTRF is really worth your money, I just feel sorry I didn't discover it earlier.

Philippe
Collapse

Saeid Hasani
Canada
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Oct 23, 2010

thanks indeed, I will give it a try.

Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 08:01
German to English
+ ...
ProZ article covering this subject Nov 2, 2010

See http://www.proz.com/translation-articles/articles/3109/

There has been some change in the available options since the original post; my conclusion after several years of investigating various options such as Project ]open[ Translation or Projetex is that most of what's on the market isn't worth the time to delete it from one's hard drive, and the smart money will g
... See more
See http://www.proz.com/translation-articles/articles/3109/

There has been some change in the available options since the original post; my conclusion after several years of investigating various options such as Project ]open[ Translation or Projetex is that most of what's on the market isn't worth the time to delete it from one's hard drive, and the smart money will go after well-engineered SaaS (software as a service) solutions.

The aforementioned XTRF has an SaaS option (no idea regarding the cost, though I did get some figures quoted for the enterprise version for one's own servers a while back, and I'd rather buy a new Jeep with the money). LTC Worx is another SaaS possibility (once again, no costs indicated as far as I could see). I used to use the company's old desktop/server solution for years and was happy with it despite the bugs and the developers' unwillingness to do anything about them.

I'm currently using and supporting (for English localization) the SaaS solution Online Translation Manager (OTM) from LSP.net. A former ProZ moderator I respect tipped me off to this solution months before it was released to the general public after many years of use in an international agency group, and I've watched it develop rapidly over the past year to meet the needs of a diverse group of international customers. It was also the only online solution I found (except one in Sweden where all the web pages in English were misspelled) where I could figure out the costs to expect (about 50 euros/month for an unlimited use PM account, less if you don't assign jobs to others). There are some things I miss with this solution that I had with software I used earlier, but overall the availability from anywhere, the secure data transfers from and to customers and the legal security of the processes far outweigh any negative aspects for me. It also opened my eyes to certain aspects of business management and costing that will influence how I evaluate any other alternatives.

In any case, this is an area currently undergoing active development in a number of quarters, and the number of robust, scalable software infrastructure options for building a language services agency can be expected to increase.
Collapse

Saeid Hasani
Canada
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
gratitude Nov 3, 2010

thank you very much for your contribution and input.

I am looking forward to the improvements as well as there are grave needs for robust and scalable solutions.

regards,

Siegfried Armbruster
Siegfried Armbruster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
My experience only covers 2 systems Nov 3, 2010

KSL Berlin wrote:
I'm currently using and supporting (for English localization) the SaaS solution Online Translation Manager (OTM) from LSP.net.

OTM is definitely a nice solution for freelances or small agencies. It does not yet provide any integration with Trados or other TM sytems.

Plunet is a excellent full blown system for LSPs, with many modules. It integrates with Trados, across, MemoQ and others. Definitely one of the most mature systems. It also integrates with Outlook, Quickbooks etc. Plunet is easily scalable and can boost your productivity dramatically.

What do you need, where do you position yourself? In my opinion these questions will determine which system is the best for your organisation.

Saeid Hasani
Canada
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Great Nov 3, 2010

Thank you Armbruster,

I hope we can hve a very good post as a time-saving ref for all the translators here by your contributions and thanks for the input.

I have already tested Plunet, it is a nice one. but the point is that I am trying to find thebest to meet my requirement as per thelocal market in order to assist the provider to localize it for our market if possible and the language is Persian and RTL language with Arabic letters and its restraints in localization.<
... See more
Thank you Armbruster,

I hope we can hve a very good post as a time-saving ref for all the translators here by your contributions and thanks for the input.

I have already tested Plunet, it is a nice one. but the point is that I am trying to find thebest to meet my requirement as per thelocal market in order to assist the provider to localize it for our market if possible and the language is Persian and RTL language with Arabic letters and its restraints in localization.

I ahve also applied for OTM online demo to see how it works.

nevertheless, SaaS seems the best of all for small offices

thank you once again

Saeid
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

what is the best ERP and/or SW to manage an LSP

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »