For matters related to payments, access to training sessions and technical issues, please submit a support request for faster assistance.
Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Free Webinar - SDL Trados Studio 2011 for beginners

This discussion belongs to ProZ.com training » "Free Webinar - SDL Trados Studio 2011 for beginners".
You can see the ProZ.com training page and participate in this discussion from there.

vird
vird
Local time: 17:22
English to Spanish
+ ...
Interested Jan 2, 2012

I have just purchased Trados Studio with 2 add-ons, though I´m totally new to Trados, I used to work with MT (Promt-post editing) which does use TM, but would be great to know if there is a way to export my glossaries into Trados.
Regards,
Virgil

[Edited at 2012-01-02 00:20 GMT]

Drew MacFadyen
Drew MacFadyen  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:22
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes, using Xliff standard Jan 2, 2012

You can certainly ask to have this demonstrated on the demo, no guarantee we will be able to. None the less, if you can export your termbase/glossary in XML format you will then be able to re-import those and use within Trados. Most CAT Tools utilize a standardized format for exchanging terminology glossaries and your previous CAT should have a way to export in one of those standardized formats...even if it were an CSV, XLS format there would be ways to work with that (just more formatting and... See more
You can certainly ask to have this demonstrated on the demo, no guarantee we will be able to. None the less, if you can export your termbase/glossary in XML format you will then be able to re-import those and use within Trados. Most CAT Tools utilize a standardized format for exchanging terminology glossaries and your previous CAT should have a way to export in one of those standardized formats...even if it were an CSV, XLS format there would be ways to work with that (just more formatting and work to set up).

Good luck

Drew
Collapse

vird
vird
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thanks Jan 2, 2012

Drew, I thank you for your input about this topic, I feel relieved to know there is a way.
Regards,
Virgilio

Stéphanie Klebetsanis
Stéphanie Klebetsanis  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 01:22
English to French
+ ...
Recording? Jan 12, 2012

Hello,

Will the webinar be recorded for those who might not be able to attend?

Thank you,

Stéphanie

MollyRose
MollyRose  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:22
English to Spanish
+ ...
Time to discuss screen optimization in Trados? Jan 12, 2012

I've been learning how to use Trados Studio 2009 and have set up my own termbase and TM, continually adding to it as I translate. I've done mostly Word docs, but also an Excel and a pdf which converted to Word when I Saved Target. I have 2011 but I have to wait for IT with admin rights to install it.

Will this training mostly be about new features in 2011, as opposed to 2009?

I also would be interested in learning how to optimize my work screen so that I can see bette
... See more
I've been learning how to use Trados Studio 2009 and have set up my own termbase and TM, continually adding to it as I translate. I've done mostly Word docs, but also an Excel and a pdf which converted to Word when I Saved Target. I have 2011 but I have to wait for IT with admin rights to install it.

Will this training mostly be about new features in 2011, as opposed to 2009?

I also would be interested in learning how to optimize my work screen so that I can see better what I'm doing. I have a 20" screen, but I think it needs to be a lot bigger. I wanted to increase the font size of the target segments so that I can see my typing better but couldn't figure out how to do it. And if it can be done, it might sacrifice being able to see other parts, such as Termbase viewer, etc. Would there be time to talk some about this?
Collapse

Clare Hogg
Clare Hogg  Identity Verified
Spain
French to English
+ ...
Would this course be suitable for people like me who don't yet have SDL Trados Studio? Jan 12, 2012

I have a pretty old version of Trados Freelance (v 6.5?). I am thinking of upgrading, but haven't had time to look into it yet. see my above question.
also, is there a cheaper package/version of SDL available for less intensive users? If so, what are the benefits and the limitations?

Drew MacFadyen
Drew MacFadyen  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
Upgrades and Starter edition Jan 12, 2012

Not sure exactly what the webinar will cover, but you are encouraged to ask those questions during the presentation.

ProZ.com community members do have discounted options to upgrade to Studio 2011 at http://www.proz.com/sdltrados/upgrade but it does not appear that 6.5 is included...I am not 100% certain, but I thought that prior to the release of Studio 2011 upgrades were available fro
... See more
Not sure exactly what the webinar will cover, but you are encouraged to ask those questions during the presentation.

ProZ.com community members do have discounted options to upgrade to Studio 2011 at http://www.proz.com/sdltrados/upgrade but it does not appear that 6.5 is included...I am not 100% certain, but I thought that prior to the release of Studio 2011 upgrades were available from as far back as 6.5, but once 2011 was officially released 6.5 was no longer eligible for upgrade...i.e you would need to buy the full license outright.

SDL does offer a "starter edition" which has a more limited functionality, but allows you to accept projects and log in to agency servers for work and is only 99 euros a year - this page compares the options http://www.translationzone.com/en/translator-products/sdl-trados-studio-starter/#tab2

Hope to "see you" at the webinar

Drew
Collapse

ifumo
ifumo  Identity Verified

English to Spanish
+ ...
I don't have Trados and have never used it before...do I need a demo version for the weminar? Jan 13, 2012

If so, where can I download it?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Irene

Alejandro Cavalitto
Alejandro Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 20:22
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
You do not need to have Trados for this webinar Jan 13, 2012

Dear Irene,

You do not need to have Trados for this webinar. The program will be shown through the trainer's computer. Please let me know if you need anything else.

Best regards,
Alejandro

Kelly Venz
Kelly Venz  Identity Verified
France
Member (2010)
French to English
Recording? Jan 13, 2012

Hello,
I am interested in attending this webinar but the time does not suit, will I be able to view a recording?

Thanks
Kelly

vird
vird
English to Spanish
+ ...
Newbie Jan 14, 2012

I´m certainly interested in knowing there´s a recorded session of this webinar. BTW, I just bought Freelance 2011 and have no clue as how to start, will this webinar start from scratch?, it also seems it doesn´t recognize documents in .rtf. I use Windows 7 64 bit, could that be an issue?
Regards

Melanie Meyer
Melanie Meyer  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2010)
English to German
+ ...
Recording? Jan 18, 2012

Like some of my valued colleagues have asked before me, I would also like to know whether there will be a recording available after this seminar, since I will most likely not be able to make it at the scheduled time.

Thank you very much!

André Vanasse (X)
André Vanasse (X)
South Korea
Local time: 08:22
English to French
+ ...
Where do I register? Jan 19, 2012

I bought SDL 2009 and never used it much. Would it be worth it for me to upgrade?

Riccardo Di Salvatore
Riccardo Di Salvatore  Identity Verified
Germany
German to Italian
+ ...
Where do I register? Jan 19, 2012

André Vanasse wrote:

I bought SDL 2009 and never used it much. Would it be worth it for me to upgrade?

I started using Studio 2009 a few months ago and installed 2011 one month ago. I'm still a beginner in using Trados Studio, but I think there is no need for you to rush into the 2011 version. Most new features with the new version are about reviewing, so if you're mainly interested in translating and not in reviewing, I think that 2009 is more than enough! Best regards.

GUSTY999
GUSTY999
Local time: 06:22
English to Indonesian
I want Trados Jan 19, 2012

I'm a newbie in translating business,
and apparently all the big fish clients demand that i use trados.
Which i think is very expensive (+/- 800 Euros??)
But if it's worth it, i guess i would buy it someday.
If i never used the 2007/2009 version, could i still use the 2011 version?
Would there be a discount in this webinar?
Thanks in advance.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Helen Shepelenko[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Free Webinar - SDL Trados Studio 2011 for beginners

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »