For matters related to payments, access to training sessions and technical issues, please submit a support request for faster assistance.
Accelerate your typing skills and memorize any typing characters

This discussion belongs to ProZ.com training » "Accelerate your typing skills and memorize any typing characters".
You can see the ProZ.com training page and participate in this discussion from there.

Zoe Perry
Zoe Perry  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:02
Portuguese to English
+ ...
What is the software? Nov 9, 2011

You state "You will learn how to install and start using the software". Can you specify which software? I ask because I once paid for a webinar on increasing business productivity only to find out during the session that it was a demonstration of a particular invoicing program that I wasn't interested in purchasing.

Epameinondas Soufleros
Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 05:02
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Not very useful Nov 9, 2011

In any case, this piece of software doesn't sound very interesting, because it will be something like a super-clipboard. Microsoft Office already has such a clipboard, where you can have multiple elements stored in it.

Paolo Sebastiani
Paolo Sebastiani  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 04:02
English to Italian
+ ...
Name of the software Nov 10, 2011

Hello Zoe, the name of this software is PhraseExpress. This software helps you memorize text sentences or any other information so that you can use it by typing a short code. Another interesting feature for professional translator is that you can memorize any font character and type it wherever you like, even if this character does not exist on your localised Keyboard. For example, you cannot type characters like these: ö ä ü Ä Ü Ö ñ Ñ ....... with an Italian or English keyboard just bec... See more
Hello Zoe, the name of this software is PhraseExpress. This software helps you memorize text sentences or any other information so that you can use it by typing a short code. Another interesting feature for professional translator is that you can memorize any font character and type it wherever you like, even if this character does not exist on your localised Keyboard. For example, you cannot type characters like these: ö ä ü Ä Ü Ö ñ Ñ ....... with an Italian or English keyboard just because they do not exist..... PhraseExpress helps you in this respect....and many others!!!!!Collapse

Epameinondas Soufleros
Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 05:02
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Those features are already there Nov 10, 2011

What this software does, then, can be accomplished by AutoText, a function available in Word and many CAT tools, and by using the International keyboard layout in Windows (it will allow you to type any accented character without problem). Aren't I right? What makes PhraseExpress so special?

Paolo Sebastiani
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Phrase Express ve MS-Word Nov 10, 2011

Epameinondas Soufleros wrote:

In any case, this piece of software doesn't sound very interesting, because it will be something like a super-clipboard. Microsoft Office already has such a clipboard, where you can have multiple elements stored in it.

You are right, MS-Word already has this feature, but what happens if you need to use your clipboards when you are writing on your browser or any othre software? The feature you are talking about only works when you are editing a MS-Word document but it does not work when you are filling a form on a PDF file or on a Browser or any other application ather than MS-Word.
Moreover, the software I am referring to has got many other features, of great interests for translators, which go far beyond the simple clipboard feature of MS-Word!!

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
To recap Nov 10, 2011

- This isn't about "accelerating your typing skills", which could be achieved by practicing touch tpying.
- It's a text expander á la AutoText, only systemwide.

Note: the free AutoHotkey can do the same thing, and you can also use it to reprogram your keyboard layout.

Paolo Sebastiani
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
I know phrase express is not the ONLY software of that kind Nov 10, 2011

As with reference to any type of softwares there are tens on the market. This is just the one I have selected to use and teach in my webinars. What Phrase Express can do is not exacltly the same as what AutoHotKey does. I could mention any feature of this software and any of you could reply that the same feature is performed by another software. Just think about CAT TOOLs they almost do the same thing, but one is different from the other!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Helen Shepelenko[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Accelerate your typing skills and memorize any typing characters

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »