Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spanje
Local time: 20:18
Lid 2007
Engels
+ ...
Feb 10, 2011

It seems to be possible to create a ProZ registration with nothing more than a username (which, of course, can be totally meaningless) and a profile type.

I find this annoying when answering questions in KudoZ where certain information is often critical to the question/answer. But what concerns me more is when I receive an email through ProZ asking for a quote for a job, and the profile only says "translation company" and gives a generic username of the type "henry1".

A
... See more
It seems to be possible to create a ProZ registration with nothing more than a username (which, of course, can be totally meaningless) and a profile type.

I find this annoying when answering questions in KudoZ where certain information is often critical to the question/answer. But what concerns me more is when I receive an email through ProZ asking for a quote for a job, and the profile only says "translation company" and gives a generic username of the type "henry1".

Aren't we entitled to a little more information? I know I often have to give a lot more information than that when I register on other sites. There are "required" fields on ProZ but they are not at all required - in fact I can't imagine why they are given the name!

If a company is registering on the site, shouldn't they at least give the company name?
Collapse

Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
Verenigde Staten
Local time: 15:18
Spaans naar Engels
+ ...
I received the same notification today, and I share your general concern Feb 10, 2011

For a proofreading job from South Korea, right?

I also think that this site should require minimal information be entered. I think that their not requiring more than the minimal and meaningless info you mention has to do with the number of registrations taking priority over the quality of the information registered (i.e., "the more the merrier," for purposes of advertising).

[Edited at 2011-02-10 18:48 GMT]

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
Verenigde Staten
Local time: 13:18
Engels naar Spaans
+ ...
In memoriam
I agree Feb 10, 2011

I agree with both of you. I also get tired of seeing different "participants" with empty profiles or who appear to be intentionally attempting to mask their true identity. Some of them have remained like that for extended periods of time. Who can possibly trust or even respect someone like that?

I would submit that Proz.com should require everyone registering on the site to provide required minimum information and even have a mandatory process for positively identifying everyone and
... See more
I agree with both of you. I also get tired of seeing different "participants" with empty profiles or who appear to be intentionally attempting to mask their true identity. Some of them have remained like that for extended periods of time. Who can possibly trust or even respect someone like that?

I would submit that Proz.com should require everyone registering on the site to provide required minimum information and even have a mandatory process for positively identifying everyone and verifying their information within a specified time period. Yes, this is the Net which means it is very open to frauds of all kinds, so action should be taken to remedy that situation as much as possible.

After all, if we are honest enough to reveal our true identity, then why not everyone?
Collapse

Neil Coffey
Neil Coffey  Identity Verified
Verenigd Koninkrijk
Frans naar Engels
+ ...
Registration vs job posting/contact Feb 10, 2011

I share your concerns for the purpose of job posting/contacting translators, but I don't think registration per se should be so burdensome if the idea of the site is to allow anyone to use KudoZ. (Rightly or wrongly, I think that's the idea.)

I always hate it when sites require you to enter your great-grandmother's tombstone details just to make a simple posting on a forum etc. But I agree in principle with certain functionality being restricted depending on how much information you
... See more
I share your concerns for the purpose of job posting/contacting translators, but I don't think registration per se should be so burdensome if the idea of the site is to allow anyone to use KudoZ. (Rightly or wrongly, I think that's the idea.)

I always hate it when sites require you to enter your great-grandmother's tombstone details just to make a simple posting on a forum etc. But I agree in principle with certain functionality being restricted depending on how much information you've entered.
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Spanje
Lid 2007
Engels
+ ...
ONDERWERPSTARTER
"Other" for no information Feb 10, 2011

@ Robert
Yes, same job, but there have been others

@ Neil
I share that frustration and it's a problem with all sorts of things on the internet. I don't know how many times I've had to enter full invoice and delivery address and go through the entire buying process just to find out that the delivery cost is exhorbitant.

The thing is, there are no less than seven classes of user on ProZ. If you just want to ask a KudoZ question, there's "other".

Catherine GUILLIAUMET
Catherine GUILLIAUMET  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:18
Engels naar Frans
+ ...
In memoriam
I share totally your concerns / connection with the BB Feb 10, 2011

Hi Sheila,

I think that for asking questions on Kudoz, it can be relatively open : not too much data to be given.

BUT, for answering Kudoz AND particularly for job offers, the registration process should be stricter, and even more particularly, companies should clearly identify themselves. In fact, they should fill in the same form than we have to fill in when we want to enter a not-yet-registered outsourcer in the Blueboard.

On the practical side, any out
... See more
Hi Sheila,

I think that for asking questions on Kudoz, it can be relatively open : not too much data to be given.

BUT, for answering Kudoz AND particularly for job offers, the registration process should be stricter, and even more particularly, companies should clearly identify themselves. In fact, they should fill in the same form than we have to fill in when we want to enter a not-yet-registered outsourcer in the Blueboard.

On the practical side, any outsourcer filling in the mandatory form would be systematically entered in the Blueboard, so, it will spare time to everybody. I think it is easy to implement because the Blueboard form already exists. ProZ has just to connect it also to every new registration of company/outsourcer.
And this registration will trigger automatically a call for entry/comment.

Isn't it that easy ?

Catherine

[Edited at 2011-02-10 20:05 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-02-10 20:43 GMT]
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Spanje
Lid 2007
Engels
+ ...
ONDERWERPSTARTER
Good idea, Catherine Feb 10, 2011

Catherine GUILLIAUMET wrote:
companies should clearly identify themselves. In fact, they should fill in the same form than we have to fill in when we want to enter a not-yet-registered outsourcer in the Blueboard.

Yes, that would ensure that we all had the basic information. It really seems illogical to me that if an outsourcer posts a job, the email we are sent says:

================== Tips for service providers ===================
Before accepting work from an outsourcer, you may want to:
* Check the Blue Board, http://www.proz.com/blueboard/
* Check the outsourcer's contact information for reliable email addresses, telephone numbers, etc.
* Investigate the outsourcer as fully as possible
* Don't forget to request a Purchase Order (PO)
* Be wary of large test translations
=======================================================

but if the same outsourcer contacts us through our profile, there is often nothing available for checking.

Catherine GUILLIAUMET
Engels naar Frans
+ ...
In memoriam
We should contact Jared Feb 10, 2011

and submit this idea to him.

Catherine

Sheila Wilson
Spanje
Lid 2007
Engels
+ ...
ONDERWERPSTARTER
It is done Feb 10, 2011

I've just sent a support request

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
Verenigd Koninkrijk
Zweeds naar Engels
+ ...
How are you/ProZ going to police the requirement? Feb 10, 2011

Unless you are prepared to pay more (or in my case just pay) for ProZ's staff to spend time manually checking each profile entry, the profile form is most likely to be checked by a client-side script - possibly javascript.

This is how I fill in forms unless I have a reason to think that it might be useful for me to fill in correct information:

Name - I enter XXX, test or similar as I guess that the javascript will most likely verify for letters from A to Z

... See more
Unless you are prepared to pay more (or in my case just pay) for ProZ's staff to spend time manually checking each profile entry, the profile form is most likely to be checked by a client-side script - possibly javascript.

This is how I fill in forms unless I have a reason to think that it might be useful for me to fill in correct information:

Name - I enter XXX, test or similar as I guess that the javascript will most likely verify for letters from A to Z

Phone - I enter 0888888888 as as I guess that the javascript will most likely verify for digits, possibly with a minimum of say eight

Email - I enter [email protected] as I guess that the javascript will most likely verify for at least one or two letters, followed by @ and at least one or two more letters before the full stop which has to be followed by at least one or two more letters
Collapse

Catherine GUILLIAUMET
Engels naar Frans
+ ...
In memoriam
Good job ! Feb 10, 2011

Sheila Wilson wrote:

I've just sent a support request

Bravo!
Let's wait and see
Bonne soirée
Catherine

Sheila Wilson
Spanje
Lid 2007
Engels
+ ...
ONDERWERPSTARTER
But you're Madeleine, not XXX or Test Feb 10, 2011

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo wrote:
the profile form is most likely to be checked by a client-side script - possibly javascript.

No, I'm not proposing that ProZ go out and check on every user who registers.

I rather thought we could leave it up to the users themselves, once presented with a "required" field. If they want to try to "beat the system" then that's up to them - I've been well and truly warned off!

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
Verenigd Koninkrijk
Zweeds naar Engels
+ ...
I think you're more optimistic than I am Feb 10, 2011

Sheila Wilson wrote:

No, I'm not proposing that ProZ go out and check on every user who registers.

I rather thought we could leave it up to the users themselves, once presented with a "required" field. If they want to try to "beat the system" then that's up to them - I've been well and truly warned off!

I've always assumed that most people enter "blah blah" info when faced with "required" fields unless they can see a personal benefit of doing otherwise. Maybe it's just down to me being over-sensitive about supplying personal info left, right and centre.

At ProZ I'm Madeleine because I think it benefits me more than being XXX or Test.

Neil Coffey
Neil Coffey  Identity Verified
Verenigd Koninkrijk
Frans naar Engels
+ ...
Maybe motivate it for new registrants Feb 11, 2011

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo wrote:
I've always assumed that most people enter "blah blah" info when faced with "required" fields unless they can see a personal benefit of doing otherwise. Maybe it's just down to me being over-sensitive about supplying personal info left, right and centre.

I think your point is very valid. I'm always baffled, for example, why the constant need for a "required" telephone number field from people that I would not expect to ever need to call me, or from whom I would ever wish to receive a phone call. They almost invariably mess things up as well (e.g. making the "state" field "required" even though they accept registration from countries that don't have states, or assuming that every country must have post code formats similar to US ones).

So I think if more tombstone info is requested, it would be motivating to put a comment saying "Completing this field will allow us/you to...".

B D Finch
B D Finch  Identity Verified
Frankrijk
Frans naar Engels
+ ...
Information Feb 11, 2011

Phone numbers should be asked for, as they (a) can establish whether the person/agency has a landline and (b) can be quickly checked, using on-line directories against the address given. (This might not be as effective for internet phone numbers.)

I also got an email for the Korean TV job. The wording was such a give-away that it was nonsense that it got instantly deleted. What were they up to? Trying to compile a directory which they would then sell? After translators who would ac
... See more
Phone numbers should be asked for, as they (a) can establish whether the person/agency has a landline and (b) can be quickly checked, using on-line directories against the address given. (This might not be as effective for internet phone numbers.)

I also got an email for the Korean TV job. The wording was such a give-away that it was nonsense that it got instantly deleted. What were they up to? Trying to compile a directory which they would then sell? After translators who would accept fraudulent offers of work, which would never be paid for? They didn't seem to be very competent at it; successful fraudsters are far more difficult to spot.
Collapse

Pagina's in het onderwerp:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Minimum profile information required for registration

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »