Off topic: Machine translation at its best ???
Thread poster: John Jory
John Jory
John Jory  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:18
English to German
+ ...
Jan 1, 2006

Just one sample from the site, which has dozens of pages with the same junk.

"When flowing through of the water through the magnet-fields with a flow-speed of approximately 1,6m/sek. becomes lime that - ions so distracted that its quality, itself at the heater or at others with water in touch coming sharings as tiresome calcifications fixes. It is simply taken with the water-river."... See more
Just one sample from the site, which has dozens of pages with the same junk.

"When flowing through of the water through the magnet-fields with a flow-speed of approximately 1,6m/sek. becomes lime that - ions so distracted that its quality, itself at the heater or at others with water in touch coming sharings as tiresome calcifications fixes. It is simply taken with the water-river."

Here's the link:
www.aquarette.com/english/index.html

Enjoy the reading

Here are some more (the business-temperature is great, and "devoid of" and "cash" for 'bar' are brilliant):

Nominal-pressure: maximum 16 devoid of
Passes how much bar nominal-pressure in the water pipes of private house-holds?
In private house-holds approximately 3 - 4 cash with fluctuations as well as after above as also downward.

Business-temperature maximum 90°C
Which piece of information hides behind this statement?
The materials are laid out on at most 90°C. These temperature however never occurs in private house-holds.

[Edited at 2006-01-01 17:47]
Collapse

Ricki Farn
Ricki Farn
Germany
English to German
Either that... Jan 1, 2006

... or a schoolchild with a dictionary. Next question: can one really "neutralize" lime ions by magnetism, as they claim?? Or is that kid's physics teacher walking around with his hair standing on end?? (Even my local supermarket sells something similar, but can I trust their judgement?)

Wishing you a lime-free New Year,
Ricki

AWa (X)
AWa (X)
English to German
+ ...
All information comes from sources, the editors and authors for reliable holds. Jan 1, 2006

another quote...
It doesn't surprise me that the imprint only mentions the people who helped with the translation to French.

At least the text gives me some hope: in 2006 translators won't become redundant yet.

[Edited at 2006-01-02 07:28]

Ken Cox
Ken Cox  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
off topic... Jan 1, 2006

For Ricki: a seemingly well balanced survey of the effectiveness of magnetic water conditioning can be found at:

http://www.heall.com/healingnews/may/magnetic_treatment.html

The general conclusion is that magnetic water conditioning apparently seems to work in some cases, based on anecdotal evidence, but the results are unpredictable and most of the c
... See more
For Ricki: a seemingly well balanced survey of the effectiveness of magnetic water conditioning can be found at:

http://www.heall.com/healingnews/may/magnetic_treatment.html

The general conclusion is that magnetic water conditioning apparently seems to work in some cases, based on anecdotal evidence, but the results are unpredictable and most of the claims are exaggerated. In addition, the the 'scientific' explanations of how the devices work commmonly range from dubious to ludicrous.

[Edited at 2006-01-01 17:26]

[Edited at 2006-01-01 17:28]

Added note: 'apparently seems to work in a few scattered cases' is probably a more accurate description.

[Edited at 2006-01-01 20:27]
Collapse

Ricki Farn
Ricki Farn
Germany
English to German
Thanks, Kenneth. Jan 1, 2006

'apparently seems to work in a few scattered cases' is exactly what I think of my own magnetic personality
So I'll just go sit next to the dishwasher and flatten ions.

juvera
juvera  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:18
English to Hungarian
+ ...
I never new... Jan 3, 2006

...what was going to save me:

Experience a quite new water-quality and saves you with it!

And some other useful side-effects:

Reliefs in the household
More welfare-feeling
..soft hair, since itself that lime not on skin and hair puts
Money saves and environment spares works without stream and chemistry
bigger were to be done on asks

But bevare:
Delivery with detailed instruction! (Why does it make me worried?)
... See more
...what was going to save me:

Experience a quite new water-quality and saves you with it!

And some other useful side-effects:

Reliefs in the household
More welfare-feeling
..soft hair, since itself that lime not on skin and hair puts
Money saves and environment spares works without stream and chemistry
bigger were to be done on asks

But bevare:
Delivery with detailed instruction! (Why does it make me worried?)
Our customers are filled from the results with enthusiasm.

Thanks John, great fun.
Collapse

PB Trans
PB Trans

French to English
+ ...
Here's a good one! Feb 2, 2006

Example:

Rich person of a knowledge to make receipt with the wire of time to have recourse to First National for your financing is a pledge of credibility with respect to the thirds. it is also to profit from a financial sponsorship recognized in international world, to preserve the independence of your company but more especially to a
... See more
Example:

Rich person of a knowledge to make receipt with the wire of time to have recourse to First National for your financing is a pledge of credibility with respect to the thirds. it is also to profit from a financial sponsorship recognized in international world, to preserve the independence of your company but more especially to allow the result of your project !
http://bank-firstnational.com/english/first_bank.html

Bllleeccchhhh!!!!
Collapse

María Teresa Taylor Oliver
María Teresa Taylor Oliver  Identity Verified
Panama
Local time: 13:18
Spanish to English
+ ...
Oohhh, that is nothing!! :P Feb 2, 2006

Recently, a lady from my department at work won an award (Employee of the Month or something like that), and the prize was a trip to New York City. This award is given once a year to an employee from one branch office in Latin America, Canada or the US.

Since this is an annual event, the company has arrangements with a NYC hotel for the winner to stay in, and every year this hotel sends the winner a letter with the same information about the acommodations, etc.

So, not
... See more
Recently, a lady from my department at work won an award (Employee of the Month or something like that), and the prize was a trip to New York City. This award is given once a year to an employee from one branch office in Latin America, Canada or the US.

Since this is an annual event, the company has arrangements with a NYC hotel for the winner to stay in, and every year this hotel sends the winner a letter with the same information about the acommodations, etc.

So, not only did they sent the letter in English, but they also felt they *had* to send it in Spanish, since the winner came from a Spanish-speaking country.

Well, the Spanish version was a riot! It just had too many funny parts to remember, but the one that stands out is:

TRANSPORTE MOLIDO, for "ground transportation". For non-Spanish speakers, "molido" is the past participle of "moler", "to grind" in English
Collapse

PB Trans
PB Trans

French to English
+ ...
That's hilarious! Feb 2, 2006

Maria Teresa Taylor Oliver wrote:

TRANSPORTE MOLIDO, for "ground transportation". For non-Spanish speakers, "molido" is the past participle of "moler", "to grind" in English

That's hilarious! Here's a classic:

La raza de los brazos nucleares

The nuclear arms race

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 14:18
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Pina's link Feb 2, 2006

also offers a variety of other goodies, including Employments (hey, check it out, they may be advertising for a translator!), The credit "in fine", and Why subscribe to a insurance life?

Why indeed?

Very funny, thanks Pina, too bad it's so sad...

Nancy

Martin Schmurr
Martin Schmurr  Identity Verified
Italian to German
and there is also Feb 7, 2006

http://www.freewebs.com/schmurr/bloopers.htm
(in English, Spanish, German, French, and Italian)
)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Machine translation at its best ???

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »