Terry Gilman
Terry Gilman  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:26
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
Two more cases from Austria, but no links Apr 11, 2005

This is mainly for Wendy and Nancy, I will try to find out more, but am fairly pressed for time this week. The first one may not be something you can cite (just person-to-person information), but the second one may have left traces in newspapers since it went to court.

>>Something similar happened to another translator, Jacqueline Csuss with a different Austrian daily - they printed her name but never asked for permission to publish her translation.
She sent them an i
... See more
This is mainly for Wendy and Nancy, I will try to find out more, but am fairly pressed for time this week. The first one may not be something you can cite (just person-to-person information), but the second one may have left traces in newspapers since it went to court.

>>Something similar happened to another translator, Jacqueline Csuss with a different Austrian daily - they printed her name but never asked for permission to publish her translation.
She sent them an invoice plus 100% for copyright violation and when they started stalling she threatened to sue them. The amount was on her account within days.

The Austrian broadcasting company was sued by translator Werner Richter for broadcasting one of his translations without crediting him or paying. The broadcasting company lost.
Collapse

Wendy Cummings
Wendy Cummings  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:26
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Austrian cases Apr 11, 2005

Two more cases from Austria...

Thanks for these two items, they are certainly very interesting, especially to show the pride that a translator takes in their work, and their insistence on receiving appropriate recognition for it.

I wonder whether anything similar has occurred in other countries? My research will try to focus on the UK, but by the very international nature of our job, it will have to breach the boundaries somewhat.

Katarzyna Landsberg-Polubok
Katarzyna Landsberg-Polubok  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:26
Polish to English
+ ...
Another case Apr 13, 2005

I wonder whether anything similar has occurred in other countries? My research will try to focus on the UK, but by the very international nature of our job, it will have to breach the boundaries somewhat. [/quote]

A few years ago I worked for a small company in Poland. They had organized an international conference on water management and wanted to have the conference materials (approx. 600 pages) translated into Polish. I took the challenge and translated the book. Th
... See more
I wonder whether anything similar has occurred in other countries? My research will try to focus on the UK, but by the very international nature of our job, it will have to breach the boundaries somewhat. [/quote]

A few years ago I worked for a small company in Poland. They had organized an international conference on water management and wanted to have the conference materials (approx. 600 pages) translated into Polish. I took the challenge and translated the book. Then a girl who worked at this small company as a CG developer called me to say that the company would not print my name or in any other way acknowledge who had done the job! I called one of the directors and she was really astonished by my demands, she just could not understand what the big fuss was about. It is only a translation, you didn't write the articles yourself, she said. Well, I won this battle, but it took a great effort to persuade them I deserve to have my name printed.

[Edited at 2005-04-13 13:10]
Collapse

Pat Jenner (X)
Pat Jenner (X)
German to English
+ ...
Disembodied interpreters Apr 14, 2005

I once interpreted at a very stressful medical conference (the usual, long days, no papers in advance, horrendous presentation styles), and staggered out at of the hall at the end of the day. I could see one of my delegates in lively discussion with the people collecting the headsets. Putting off my gin and tonic for ten minutes, I went and asked what the problem was. The guy said that he wanted to keep his headset as he had to attend another conference the following week. Plug it in and it all ... See more
I once interpreted at a very stressful medical conference (the usual, long days, no papers in advance, horrendous presentation styles), and staggered out at of the hall at the end of the day. I could see one of my delegates in lively discussion with the people collecting the headsets. Putting off my gin and tonic for ten minutes, I went and asked what the problem was. The guy said that he wanted to keep his headset as he had to attend another conference the following week. Plug it in and it all comes pouring out...Collapse

Desi_vdb
Desi_vdb
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
+ ...
Websites Apr 19, 2005

If you look at some "translated" websites, it is evident that the company in question doesn't take translating very seriously. I think we have all seen examples of those! (and of course, now I'm looking for them I can't seem to find any examples).

Carolingua
Carolingua  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:26
Spanish to English
+ ...
pet-peeve May 4, 2005

NancyLynn wrote:

and my favourite, courtesy of my brother-in-law: I could do that, if I spoke the language dead serious too

Nancy

My brother-in-law wanted to be a "diplomat" for awhile (even though he spoke no other language than English)! Granted, he was in high-school at the time and didn't know any better. Still, I thought that was funny. More annoying, is the fact that none of my in-laws have any appreciation for France--either the country, the language, or the culture. They are planning a trip to Europe, and want to go to Spain and Germany. They may have a couple of extra days, so they were wondering out loud "where else could we go"?, and I was stunned that France never seemed to come to mind (it's not like they've already been there, they haven't). I think they settled on Italy. They will have to go *through* France, since they are driving, but I don't think they even intend to stop. I was right in front of them during this conversation, and knowing that I am half-French, you can imagine how super-annoyed I was. GRRRR...I think I'm still fuming about it!

Aleksandr Okunev (X)
Aleksandr Okunev (X)
Local time: 12:26
English to Russian
Hi, Wendy, how is your dissertation going? Sep 28, 2005

Wendy Leech wrote: I am writing a dissertation

Has it been published on the Net? A link would be welcome.
Cheers
Aleksandr

Wendy Cummings
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
nearly.... Sep 28, 2005

Aleksandr Okunev wrote:

Wendy Leech wrote: I am writing a dissertation

Has it been published on the Net? A link would be welcome.
Cheers
Aleksandr

Hi Aleksandr,

I have now finished it, but just haven't got round to putting it on the net as its a pretty huge file. Hopefully will be very soon, i'll post on this forum when i do, and also email all the participants.

.....watch this space....!!

wendy

Harry Hermawan
Harry Hermawan  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 16:26
English to Indonesian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Translators/ Interpreters are not the same...oh yes they are... Dec 19, 2005

Wendy Leech wrote:

examples: ...not having the faintest idea about what we actually do etc.

The public has this assumption that what a translator does is the same as what an interpreter does. This happened to me. I introduced myself as a translator in a forum in a mailing list complete with a filling in form prior to entering the forum, then there was a gathering at one time, of course some of us didn't know each other then, and when I introduced myself to the host, he just said, "oh, Harry, that interpreter...”

Well, this, I guess, just goes to show you how the public sometimes see this profession

Wendy Cummings
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The final product!!! Jan 2, 2006

Apologies for the delay, but the final version of my dissertation is now available at:

http://www.ekalinka.com/english/translator_visibility.pdf

The appendices are not included, but if anyone would like to see them, please just let me know.

Although of course any comments will always be welcome, I would kindly ask people to note the followi
... See more
Apologies for the delay, but the final version of my dissertation is now available at:

http://www.ekalinka.com/english/translator_visibility.pdf

The appendices are not included, but if anyone would like to see them, please just let me know.

Although of course any comments will always be welcome, I would kindly ask people to note the following:

*This was an unfunded student project with all the time limitations etc that that entails
*I chose to investigage a topic about which I feel strongly, and so I know that many of the conclusions made are very subjective, and that many others will not agree with them.
*I have not yet received a mark!! (grrr to all the examiners!)

Other than that, I do hope that you find it interesting, and many thanks again to all the members of Proz.com who participated.

Wendy
Collapse

Dees
Dees  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to French
+ ...
thank you! Feb 1, 2006

I have just discovered this thread by chance while I was searching for something else in the forum section and I must say that I had a great time and a great laugh! All these stories sound so familiar!

So thank you all and thank you Wendy for posting the link to your dissertation and...CONGRATULATIONS! (I hope you have received your mark and feedback by now)

I look forward to reading your dissertation soon!

Happy "typing"!...
See more
I have just discovered this thread by chance while I was searching for something else in the forum section and I must say that I had a great time and a great laugh! All these stories sound so familiar!

So thank you all and thank you Wendy for posting the link to your dissertation and...CONGRATULATIONS! (I hope you have received your mark and feedback by now)

I look forward to reading your dissertation soon!

Happy "typing"!

Mitsuko
Collapse

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 05:26
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Yes, thanks! Feb 1, 2006

I just read the second half (will get to the first half another evening) and noted that 41% of the public respondents didn't care if what they were reading was a translation or not - that info is not important to them!

I read your suggestions at the end for improving t & i visibility, Wendy, and can proudly say that I make sure I mention my "day job" to my evening college students - and on the whole, they are impressed that I am a full-time translator and part-time college professor
... See more
I just read the second half (will get to the first half another evening) and noted that 41% of the public respondents didn't care if what they were reading was a translation or not - that info is not important to them!

I read your suggestions at the end for improving t & i visibility, Wendy, and can proudly say that I make sure I mention my "day job" to my evening college students - and on the whole, they are impressed that I am a full-time translator and part-time college professor.

A good read, a good, timely topic, and thanks for sharing your conclusions with us.

Nancy
Collapse

Wendy Cummings
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Feb 1, 2006

NancyLynn wrote:

A good read, a good, timely topic, and thanks for sharing your conclusions with us.

Nancy

Thanks Nancy.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Research: Examples of client/public ignorance

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »