Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
Off topic: True Story! (Translating the word "weathered" into other languages)
Thread poster: NancyLynn
Jean-Luc Dumont
Jean-Luc Dumont  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 13:54
English to French
+ ...
Burin Apr 6, 2004

Burinée/abîmée/usée/rongée/polie par les intempéries

intempéries - bad weather (rain/snow, etc.) but also extreme weather like heat

le temps fait plutôt penser à l'âge, number of years, le passage du temps/passing of time

abîmée l'action des agents atmosphériques
abîmée par les agents atmosphériques - fewer words ?

In French, that would be more like an engineer talking than a tourist...
See more
Burinée/abîmée/usée/rongée/polie par les intempéries

intempéries - bad weather (rain/snow, etc.) but also extreme weather like heat

le temps fait plutôt penser à l'âge, number of years, le passage du temps/passing of time

abîmée l'action des agents atmosphériques
abîmée par les agents atmosphériques - fewer words ?

In French, that would be more like an engineer talking than a tourist

les agents agissent activement play-on-asm

Weathered is vague: is it smoother, cracked, coarser, etc. because of the effects of the weather? In other languages the verb that is chosen will describe the effect... i.e. buriné, chiseled, poli (smooth).

JL

[Edited at 2004-04-06 18:12]

[Edited at 2004-04-06 18:16]
Collapse

Marta Argat
Marta Argat  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:54
Chinese to Ukrainian
+ ...
âûâåòðåííûé Apr 12, 2004

"Vyvetrennyj" ( stress on Y ) in Russian.
However this word is not suitable to describe the fisherman's face.

Sigrid Lensink-Damen
Sigrid Lensink-Damen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
German to Dutch
+ ...
Interesting topic! Apr 27, 2004

I have read with interest this topic.
As native speaker Dutch I associate "verweerd", "verwittert" and "weathered" with the same phenomenon, because they are from the same language family.
So if I hear "verweerd" an image of a building comes in my mind, and this building was some day richly decorated, but now a few vague lines of the original decoration is all that's left.
Or, in case of the many times quoted fisherman, I see a face which is brown by the sun and wrinkled by t
... See more
I have read with interest this topic.
As native speaker Dutch I associate "verweerd", "verwittert" and "weathered" with the same phenomenon, because they are from the same language family.
So if I hear "verweerd" an image of a building comes in my mind, and this building was some day richly decorated, but now a few vague lines of the original decoration is all that's left.
Or, in case of the many times quoted fisherman, I see a face which is brown by the sun and wrinkled by the salty water and wind.

In any case, I think "weathered" has to do with both time and weather, because with the passing of the seasons and different weather conditions, we can conclude that time is passing.

Are there any language philosophists on the forum? Maybe they can shine their light on this matter...

Sigrid
Collapse

EKM
EKM
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
väderbiten May 1, 2004

In Swedish, there is a word which corresponds totally to English "weathered", German "verwitterd" and Dutch "verweerd", namely "väderbiten" (=bitten by the weather). So the Swedish weather bites... maybe because it's colder here?

I am sure Danish and Norwegian have virtually exact equivalents as well.

Francis Kastalski
Francis Kastalski  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:54
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Brazilian words for 'weathered' Jun 5, 2005

Hi dear Prozians:

In Brazil we say 'descorado' (having lost the color due to exposure to the weather), or, otherwise...'desgastado pelo tempo'. I prefer the second one.
Cheers!

George Hopkins
George Hopkins
Swedish to English
Swedish approach Jul 8, 2005

My English to Swedish dictionary offers the following options for 'weathered':

nött av väder och vind; skadad av väder och vind; förstörd av väder och vind; vittrad; söndervittrad; nervittrad; förvittrad.

There are of course other solutions. It all depends on the context and your ability to fathom it out.

George Hopkins
George Hopkins
Swedish to English
Good try Mårten. Jul 8, 2005

Mårten Dalhed wrote:

In Swedish, there is a word which corresponds totally to English "weathered", German "verwitterd" and Dutch "verweerd", namely "väderbiten" (=bitten by the weather). So the Swedish weather bites... maybe because it's colder here?

Corresponds totally?
The dictionary Prisma Sv-Eng gives 'väderbiten' as 'weather-beaten'.
Try translating 'She weathered the storm'.

vladex
vladex  Identity Verified
Polish
+ ...
ogorza³y Jul 19, 2005

Marta Argat wrote:

"Vyvetrennyj" ( stress on Y ) in Russian.
However this word is not suitable to describe the fisherman's face.

"zwietrza³y" ie. "eroded with atmospheric factors" is good for natural or architectural objects (of course there is also a word "zerodowany")

And the fisherman's or a cow-boy's face would be "ogorza³y" (or rather "ogorza³a" since in Polish face is feminine) - it etymologically means "treated with fire" so the sun is involved mostly, but there are also phrases "ogorza³a od wiatru" ('weathered with a wind') and "ogorza³a od mrozu" ('weathered with a frost') so any weather factor may be involved.

piotrek

PS. A nice example of prefixe false friends in related languages - in Polish "wywietrzony" means "ventilated" not "eroded"...

Agnieszka Hayward (X)
Agnieszka Hayward (X)
Poland
German to Polish
+ ...
czas odcisn¹³ swe piêtno na kamieniu Jul 21, 2005

vladex wrote:

And the fisherman's or a cow-boy's face would be "ogorza³y" (or rather "ogorza³a" since in Polish face is feminine) - it etymologically means "treated with fire" so the sun is involved mostly, but there are also phrases "ogorza³a od wiatru" ('weathered with a wind') and "ogorza³a od mrozu" ('weathered with a frost') so any weather factor may be involved.

uhum, and it only applies to faces, never to stone...

As Magda already mentioned, our (Polish) native language lacks a neat (and concise) equivalent of 'weathered'...

My more-or-less-adequate proposals:
- czas odcisn¹³ swe piêtno na/w kamieniu
- kamieñ po przejœciach
- kamieñ oszlifowany przez czas i pogodê

Before I get any more poetic, I wish you a good night and... be seasoned, not weathered

Regards,
Agnieszka

[Edited at 2005-07-21 00:43]

Harry Hermawan
Harry Hermawan  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 18:54
English to Indonesian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Indonesian...weathered... Dec 19, 2005

NancyLynn wrote:

... "See how the stone is weathered here." ...

How could you describe it in your language?

Nancy

Indonesian:
"dimakan waktu" /eaten by time/
"dibentuk alam" /formed by nature/
"di...

many more I guess...

Tam Tran Thi Le
Tam Tran Thi Le
Local time: 18:54
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
weathered in Vietnamese Apr 13, 2006

In Vietnamese: "phong ho'a"=1 word

kind of compound word in Vietnamese.

Means the rock was exposed and be degraded by the natural elements. But technically speaking, we use the word more specific like: rocks weathered by wind and water da da da

EKM
EKM
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Point taken George Oct 20, 2006

George Hopkins wrote:

Mårten Dalhed wrote:

Corresponds totally?
The dictionary Prisma Sv-Eng gives 'väderbiten' as 'weather-beaten'.
Try translating 'She weathered the storm'.

You're right. I should have checked more carefully.

But the original question asked for the sense of the participle 'weathered' as in 'a weathered look' - this is a different sense of the word than the past tense of the verb 'weather' in your example... for which you'd have to use "Hon red ut stormen" or "Hon uthärdade stormen".

The little-used word "förvittrad" is probably a closer equivalent to "verwitterd" as it seems to be a loan from German.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

True Story! (Translating the word "weathered" into other languages)

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »