Clara Duarte
Clara Duarte  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 03:20
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Mar 21, 2011

Hi, everybody.

I am doing a presentation on translation services (because the professor insisted I did something in my area of work) for my Marketing Services class. Does anyone know of online-based services the likes of Speaklike.com, Systran, etc. I know there are many others out there, and several software and apps, and would love to read your lists. You can even include your personal thoughts and experience with these, it would be helpful to many of us.

Thanks in ad
... See more
Hi, everybody.

I am doing a presentation on translation services (because the professor insisted I did something in my area of work) for my Marketing Services class. Does anyone know of online-based services the likes of Speaklike.com, Systran, etc. I know there are many others out there, and several software and apps, and would love to read your lists. You can even include your personal thoughts and experience with these, it would be helpful to many of us.

Thanks in advance!
Collapse

EHI (X)
EHI (X)
Local time: 04:20
more specific Mar 21, 2011

I think you need to be a bit more specific about what your presentation is going to be about.

Please provide more information.

Clara Duarte
Clara Duarte  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 03:20
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Lutz Mar 21, 2011

Hi, thanks for answering back, Lutz.

I don't need help with the presentation itself, which is about innovation in translation services, by the way, just to know if there are other services offering online work platforms like Speaklike, and other innovative features.

EHI (X)
EHI (X)
Local time: 04:20
nothing special about SpeakLike Mar 22, 2011

Well, as far as I can figure out SpeakLike is just one of many translation agencies that claims to be able to offer extremely cheap translations by incorporating technology. But this is hogwash. Translation memories and, yes, machine translation, can indeed save costs, but all translation agencies know this. This is nothing new and has certainly nothing to do with groundbreaking innovations.

The only reason they are able to offer these extremely low prices is that there are countles
... See more
Well, as far as I can figure out SpeakLike is just one of many translation agencies that claims to be able to offer extremely cheap translations by incorporating technology. But this is hogwash. Translation memories and, yes, machine translation, can indeed save costs, but all translation agencies know this. This is nothing new and has certainly nothing to do with groundbreaking innovations.

The only reason they are able to offer these extremely low prices is that there are countless bilingual amateurs who are willing to work at extremely low rates, at least until they finish college and find a better job. Obviously no professional translator will work for USD 0.04 per source word.

The only reason I would mention this agency is to point out that, as in any line of business, there are high-end and low-end providers of translation and localisation services.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Online-based translation services and products

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »