Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Off topic: How bad can it get? (Bad translation found in "peeler usage manual")
Thread poster: José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 06:42
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Jul 25, 2010

A fellow translator bought a vegetable peeler, which came with the instructions below. She was kind enough to scan them and send to me. I don't know, and couldn't care less whether this was automatic or human translation. I wonder what's the point in providing them. What's the point in having them at all written, translated by any means, typeset, printed on paper, and attached?

It's worth reading, since it gets worse and worse all the way. Have fun!

Collapse

Mats Wiman
Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 11:42
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
In memoriam
We will be in demand for a while :-) Jul 25, 2010

Luckily we can still find proof that we are needed.

Even good MT needs human assistance.

I five years we might all be hired by Google to deliver just that.

Roberto Lipani
Roberto Lipani  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
About TM and automatic translation Jul 25, 2010

Good Morning,
I read through the topic of this forum and, as a translator, I'm very interested. I agree: TMs and automatic translation may be useful, but no machine or software could ever replace a person. Besides, translation, in my opinion, is always creative and it is made up by years of study, experience and efforts. All things that a machine will never achieve.
Thank you to the person who opened this forum; it is always good to share opinion and experiences.

Kind r
... See more
Good Morning,
I read through the topic of this forum and, as a translator, I'm very interested. I agree: TMs and automatic translation may be useful, but no machine or software could ever replace a person. Besides, translation, in my opinion, is always creative and it is made up by years of study, experience and efforts. All things that a machine will never achieve.
Thank you to the person who opened this forum; it is always good to share opinion and experiences.

Kind regards

Roberto Lipani
Collapse

Nicky La Touche
Nicky La Touche
Italian to English
+ ...
Manufacturer to be introduced to Proz Jul 25, 2010

Perhaps the manufacturer should be introduced to the Proz translator contracting tool and then he could commission himself a perfect translation.

Niraja Nanjundan (X)
Niraja Nanjundan (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:12
German to English
Terrible research! Jul 25, 2010

I think the least they could have done is find out what "f**k" means

[Edited at 2010-07-25 15:46 GMT]

AndyTsai
AndyTsai  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 17:42
Chinese to English
+ ...
There are so many of them Jul 25, 2010

So sad, it's made in China. I myself have seen myriads of such kind of translation. They simply don't treat it seriously!

Mailand
Mailand  Identity Verified
Member (2009)
Italian to German
+ ...
Thanks for posting this! Jul 25, 2010

I was having a bad day and this made me laugh out for the first time today - see, there's always a good side to things .... If nothing else - it's good for a laugh!

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 18:42
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Very curious Jul 25, 2010

Niraja Nanjundan wrote:

I think the least they could have done is find out what "f***k" means

I'm very curious from which language this was translated from.

oxygen4u
oxygen4u
Portugal
Local time: 10:42
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Obrigada por partilhar! Jul 25, 2010

Thank you so much for sharing!! I needed a good laugh and I sure got one!

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
A wonderful read! Jul 25, 2010

Niraja Nanjundan wrote:

I think the least they could have done is find out what "f***k" means

José, what a great laugh you gave me and my 14-yr-old son this afternoon. He explained to me that f**k means to breed germs in this context, so actually this is the most accurate part of the translation!
Thanks for sharing

David Russi
David Russi  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:42
English to Spanish
+ ...
fuck means to breed germs >> I don't think so... Jul 25, 2010

[quote]Emma Goldsmith wrote:

Niraja Nanjundan wrote:

He explained to me that f**k means to breed germs in this context, so actually this is the most accurate part of the translation!

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/fuck

Arianne Farah
Arianne Farah  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 05:42
Member (2008)
English to French
It's a Chinese MT software Jul 25, 2010

There's a popular MT here in China that invariably translates the word "gan", which can mean "dry" or "fuck", to "fuck". There are thousands of posters, flyers, etc. in China with the F word, though a lot did get cleaned up when they "de-chinglished" Beijing before the Olympics.

They would be better off using google translate... but google translate, not so popular here...
... See more
There's a popular MT here in China that invariably translates the word "gan", which can mean "dry" or "fuck", to "fuck". There are thousands of posters, flyers, etc. in China with the F word, though a lot did get cleaned up when they "de-chinglished" Beijing before the Olympics.

They would be better off using google translate... but google translate, not so popular here...

I like this one:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/xiaming/70761148/
Collapse

Wolf Kux
Wolf Kux  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 06:42
Member (2006)
German to Portuguese
+ ...
Polcalia Jul 25, 2010

I think that this company has a branch in Brazil with this name:

Polcalia.

Brazilians know what I mean ...

Paula Borges
Paula Borges  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:42
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
You can find Jul 26, 2010

more examples of funny translations on engrish.com
very useful when you need a laugh

See more
more examples of funny translations on engrish.com
very useful when you need a laugh

http://www.engrish.com//wp-content/uploads/2010/07/gentleness-or-milk-jellies.jpg
http://www.engrish.com//wp-content/uploads/2010/07/even-in-the-foreigner.jpg
Collapse

Maria Ramon
Maria Ramon  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:42
Dutch to English
+ ...
Absolutely hilarious! Jul 26, 2010

It is sad that people accept this garbage as a 'good translation'; on the other had I had a good laugh; it is absolutely hilarious!

A while back I received some translated documents to review which were translated from English into Dutch and they had a similar 'translation' done by a human! it provided me with a lot of laughter!, however, I had to tell my client that it was garbage and that I could do the translation for him if he wanted me to, but not at the agreed revision/proofre
... See more
It is sad that people accept this garbage as a 'good translation'; on the other had I had a good laugh; it is absolutely hilarious!

A while back I received some translated documents to review which were translated from English into Dutch and they had a similar 'translation' done by a human! it provided me with a lot of laughter!, however, I had to tell my client that it was garbage and that I could do the translation for him if he wanted me to, but not at the agreed revision/proofreading rate. He agreed and I did the translation for him, at least the end client received a good translation and was very satisfied. I have done all his translations ever since.

Have a great day!
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How bad can it get? (Bad translation found in "peeler usage manual")

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »