maryblack
maryblack  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:13
Member (2013)
Spanish to English
+ ...
look before you accept, and charge by the hour for proofreading Jul 6, 2010

These are my two strategies to avoid the same situation, which I think we've all been through!

Experience has taught me that: 1) I never, ever accept a proofreading job without seeing the original. If I see an original like that I either refuse it or offer to re-translate it (i.e,. looking at the original - there next to nothing you could use from that "translation"); and 2) if I do accept a proofreading job, unless its proofing the work of a translator I know and whose work I respe
... See more
These are my two strategies to avoid the same situation, which I think we've all been through!

Experience has taught me that: 1) I never, ever accept a proofreading job without seeing the original. If I see an original like that I either refuse it or offer to re-translate it (i.e,. looking at the original - there next to nothing you could use from that "translation"); and 2) if I do accept a proofreading job, unless its proofing the work of a translator I know and whose work I respect, I will charge by the hour, and charge dearly. Frankly, either I need to earn a mint to deal with something that bad, or I'd rather just skip it.

Hang in there!!!!
Collapse

Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 00:13
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Update Jul 6, 2010

Thanks to everyone for their comments.

I just created this thread to do some venting. Everything was under control from the start. It was a good customer and I am being compensated for the effort.

I did the, ugh, work, then nicely commented that it would be better to start from scratch.

As it turned out they had another batch of the same material today, this time in the source language. Life is so much easier this way!

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

This translation is killing me

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »