Filippe Vasconcellos de Freitas Guimarães
Filippe Vasconcellos de Freitas Guimarães  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 06:14
Member (2009)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
May 2, 2010

From The Power of Your Subconscious Mind, the self-help classic by Joseph Murphy. Something to bear in mind when faced with those more recalcitrant clients, relatives or acquaintances who just don't get why translation costs (rather, should cost) what it does (or should) and firmly believe it involves being paid to sit at a keyboard all day, crack a dictionary every now and then and sip mochas. Particularly useful for unreasonable deadlines, too...

A homeowner who... See more
From The Power of Your Subconscious Mind, the self-help classic by Joseph Murphy. Something to bear in mind when faced with those more recalcitrant clients, relatives or acquaintances who just don't get why translation costs (rather, should cost) what it does (or should) and firmly believe it involves being paid to sit at a keyboard all day, crack a dictionary every now and then and sip mochas. Particularly useful for unreasonable deadlines, too...

A homeowner whose furnace broke down during a bitter cold snap called a repairman. The repairman came at once. Within half an hour, the furnace was working again. The repairman then gave the homeowner a bill for $200.

"What!" the outraged homeowner exclaimed. "It took you no time at all. All you did was replace one small part. How can you have the nerve to charge me $200 for a little gizmo that can't be worth more than five dollars?"

The repairman shrugged. "I charged you only two dollars for the broken part," he said. "That's what I had to pay for it."

The homeowner waved the bill in his face. "Two dollars!" he yelled. "This says $200!"

"That's right," the repairman said. "The other $198 is for knowing what was wrong and how to fix it."

Actually, I don't know why I posted this here. Nothing "light" about it...

[Edited at 2010-05-02 16:01 GMT]
Collapse

David Russi
David Russi  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:14
English to Spanish
+ ...
Google Instant HVAC Install May 2, 2010

Just wait, when the Google furnace install app comes out, market forces will justifiably drive HVAC installation rates into the ground, after all, the new system connects the wires correctly 80% of the time, and those whining sissies will just have to suck it up because, as many successful installer colleagues will remind them, you can't fix prices, you just have to know how to market yourself to direct clients or specialize to get the rate you deserve.

Jessica Noyes
Jessica Noyes  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:14
Spanish to English
+ ...
Big smile May 2, 2010

Thanks, David,
I needed a chuckle to get me through...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

On rates

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »