Auteur du fil: Sara Colombo
Sara Colombo
Sara Colombo  Identity Verified
Royaume-Uni
anglais vers italien
+ ...
Nov 9, 2012

Hi there!
After some in-house experience and freelancing abroad I decided to launch my own business in the UK and now I am a freelancer. I don't have a ltd business, rather I am a professional working alone. There are a lot of things I still need to understand, though.
Could you please recommend a good and (freelance translators) experienced accountant in London?
I have had a look around, but would prefer to have a personal recommedation rather than picking up casually.
... See more
Hi there!
After some in-house experience and freelancing abroad I decided to launch my own business in the UK and now I am a freelancer. I don't have a ltd business, rather I am a professional working alone. There are a lot of things I still need to understand, though.
Could you please recommend a good and (freelance translators) experienced accountant in London?
I have had a look around, but would prefer to have a personal recommedation rather than picking up casually.
Thanks!
Collapse

Egils Grikis
Egils Grikis  Identity Verified
Royaume-Uni
Local time: 21:02
russe vers letton/lette
+ ...
Try FreeAgent Nov 9, 2012

Search for the accountant here: http://www.freeagent.com/partners

Spend more time running your business and less time worrying about the boring accounts.

30 days free | 10% off | Here is my FreeAgent Referral code: 41a6bmhz | Referral Link: bit.ly/n7NelQ #FreeAgent

EHI (X)
EHI (X)
Local time: 22:02
Lions Accountants Nov 10, 2012

I can recommend Eliza or Chris at Lions Accountants Ltd.

www.lionsaccountants.co.uk

They were very helpful when I was operating as Ltd and needed help in filing my end-of-year returns.

To be honest, if you are not running a company, I don't think you need an accountant. Tax matters for freelance translators in the UK are pretty straightforward. You can find all inf
... See more

They were very helpful when I was operating as Ltd and needed help in filing my end-of-year returns.

To be honest, if you are not running a company, I don't think you need an accountant. Tax matters for freelance translators in the UK are pretty straightforward. You can find all information you need on the Internet.

[Edited at 2012-11-10 01:04 GMT]
Collapse

Sara Colombo
Sara Colombo  Identity Verified
Royaume-Uni
anglais vers italien
+ ...
AUTEUR DU FIL
thanks Nov 10, 2012

Lutz Molderings wrote:

They were very helpful when I was operating as Ltd and needed help to file my end-of-year returns.

To be honest, if you are not running a company, I don't think you need an accountant. Tax matters for freelance translators in the UK are pretty straightforward. You can find all information you need on the Internet.

I had a look on the Internet but could not find anything detailed. Gov sites are clear, but I need someone more precise and specific.

I will contact them!

Tom in London
Tom in London
Royaume-Uni
Membre (2008)
italien vers anglais
I know one Nov 11, 2012

Saretta9 wrote:

Lutz Molderings wrote:

They were very helpful when I was operating as Ltd and needed help to file my end-of-year returns.

I had a look on the Internet but could not find anything detailed. Gov sites are clear, but I need someone more precise and specific.

I will contact them!

Saretta - if that's a big expensive outfit, and you'd prefer a small, warmhearted, inexpensive accountant in London (not Ipswich), contact me.

[Edited at 2012-11-11 10:07 GMT]

XXXphxxx (X)
XXXphxxx (X)  Identity Verified
Royaume-Uni
portugais vers anglais
+ ...
Ask for a local recommendation Nov 11, 2012

Having had an accountant in London for the past 14 years, which was not where I was living, I finally came to the conclusion that it made more sense to have someone local. There are occasions when it really pays to be able to walk into their office and sort through any queries face-to-face so I've finally appointed someone in my local town. My advice therefore would be to ask people where you live for a recommendation. I agree that if you're not a limited company a tax return is really not compl... See more
Having had an accountant in London for the past 14 years, which was not where I was living, I finally came to the conclusion that it made more sense to have someone local. There are occasions when it really pays to be able to walk into their office and sort through any queries face-to-face so I've finally appointed someone in my local town. My advice therefore would be to ask people where you live for a recommendation. I agree that if you're not a limited company a tax return is really not complicated at all in the UK. You may find that after a year or two of having the accountant do it for you you'll be able to manage fine on your own.Collapse

Daniel Bird
Daniel Bird  Identity Verified
Royaume-Uni
allemand vers anglais
If you draw a blank elsewhere... Nov 11, 2012

... drop me a line, my accountant runs a small outfit and has been dealing with various members of my family for many years. Uncomplicated approach, honest advice, reasonable fees and deals with a number of translators and other freelance types so he knows what to expect so to speak. Based north London.
At the same time, I do endorse the other view which is that it is not 100% necessary to have an accountant do your books as a freelance.
Good luck with whatever you choose,
DB

Lions (X)
Lions (X)
Lions Accountants Nov 13, 2012

Tom in London wrote:

Lutz Molderings wrote:

.. if that's a big expensive outfit, and you'd prefer a small, warmhearted, inexpensive accountant in London (not Ipswich), contact me.

[Edited at 2012-11-11 10:07 GMT]

There's just the 2 of us at Lions Accountants so we're not 'big'. Fixed fee for someone's small self-employed accounts and tax return is generally £195 and for a small Limited company accounts and corporation tax return is generally £450 (assuming good records kept e.g. on excel spreadsheet) so we're not expensive either (and the fees are genuinely fixed, as well as being tax deductible). Accounts and Tax Returns are prepared by a Chartered Accountant and Chartered Tax Adviser which are the top two relevant UK qualifications.

If the client is not based in/near Ipswich then we would suit someone whose preferred method of communication with their Accountant is by email. You will always get a response from us within 24 hours.

P.S. Thanks to Lutz for the unprompted recommendation. We noticed the click-throughs from this webpage via the Google Analytic reports for our website hence our posting today.

[Edited at 2012-11-13 21:22 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Good accountant for freelancer

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »