Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7] >
ChatGPT : Are translators an endangered species ?
Thread poster: M. El Kadimi
Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 20:20
English to Russian
Disputable Apr 28, 2023

Philippe Locquet wrote:
This is why it's still outperformed by other MT engines in specific language pairs or workflows.
Recently I had a test for ChatGPT and different MT engines. ChatGPT was the only engine [be it search engine or anything else engine] that translated a tricky Russian word "добрели" correctly into English. It may have three meanings: 1) to have reached a destination point by wandering (80% of usage), 2) to become kind/nice or fat (19% of usage), and 3) to become fruitful/rich in smth [speaking about trees, or soil, or fields and the like] (1% of usage). ChatGPT chose the least-used meaning that was the only correct option here.

Source (Russian):
С берегов моря в корзинах приносили они землю и засыпали ею расщелины. И добрели горы, покрытые виноградными лозами, фруктовыми деревьями, кизиловыми и малиновыми кустарниками.

𝗚𝗼𝗼𝗴𝗹𝗲:
From the shores of the sea they brought earth in baskets and covered the crevices with it. And the mountains, covered with vines, fruit trees, cornelian and raspberry bushes, wandered.

𝗗𝗲𝗲𝗽𝗟:
From the shores of the sea they brought earth in baskets and filled the clefts with it. And the mountains reached up, covered with vines, fruit trees, dogwood and raspberry bushes.

𝗔𝗺𝗮𝘇𝗼𝗻:
From the shores of the sea, they brought earth in baskets and filled the crevices with it. And the mountains wandered, covered with vines, fruit trees, dogwood and raspberry bushes.

𝗠𝗼𝗱𝗲𝗿𝗻𝗠𝗧:
They brought the earth from the shores of the sea in baskets and filled the clefts with it. And the mountains were good, covered with vines, and fruit trees, and cornelian and crimson bushes.

𝗖𝗵𝗮𝘁𝗚𝗣𝗧:
They brought soil in baskets from the sea shore and filled the gaps with it. And the mountains became fertile, covered with grapevines, fruit trees, dogwood and raspberry bushes.

Joel Pina Diaz
Ron Willems

Colin Smith
Colin Smith
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:20
French to English
+ ...
Legal May 2, 2023

Andriy Yasharov wrote:

Types of translations that machines will not be able to cope with in the near future:

1. Legal translation
    Legal translations require a high degree of accuracy and precision as even a small error can lead to serious consequences.

2. [Edited at 2023-03-31 20:22 GMT]

I have been doing FR>EN legal and financial PEMT for several years now and the quality of corporate legal MT is such that I barely make any changes. Most of the changes I make are to rearrange subordinate clauses from the typically French sequential order so that it reads naturally in English.

Other legal areas such as criminal and family law are not so good yet, but it will come.

Ron Willems

Daryo
Daryo
United Kingdom
Serbian to English
+ ...
It's still a purely statistical algorithm May 8, 2023

Stepan Konev wrote:

Philippe Locquet wrote:
This is why it's still outperformed by other MT engines in specific language pairs or workflows.
Recently I had a test for ChatGPT and different MT engines. ChatGPT was the only engine [be it search engine or anything else engine] that translated a tricky Russian word "добрели" correctly into English. It may have three meanings: 1) to have reached a destination point by wandering (80% of usage), 2) to become kind/nice or fat (19% of usage), and 3) to become fruitful/rich in smth [speaking about trees, or soil, or fields and the like] (1% of usage). ChatGPT chose the least-used meaning that was the only correct option here.

Source (Russian):
С берегов моря в корзинах приносили они землю и засыпали ею расщелины. И добрели горы, покрытые виноградными лозами, фруктовыми деревьями, кизиловыми и малиновыми кустарниками.

𝗚𝗼𝗼𝗴𝗹𝗲:
From the shores of the sea they brought earth in baskets and covered the crevices with it. And the mountains, covered with vines, fruit trees, cornelian and raspberry bushes, wandered.

𝗗𝗲𝗲𝗽𝗟:
From the shores of the sea they brought earth in baskets and filled the clefts with it. And the mountains reached up, covered with vines, fruit trees, dogwood and raspberry bushes.

𝗔𝗺𝗮𝘇𝗼𝗻:
From the shores of the sea, they brought earth in baskets and filled the crevices with it. And the mountains wandered, covered with vines, fruit trees, dogwood and raspberry bushes.

𝗠𝗼𝗱𝗲𝗿𝗻𝗠𝗧:
They brought the earth from the shores of the sea in baskets and filled the clefts with it. And the mountains were good, covered with vines, and fruit trees, and cornelian and crimson bushes.

𝗖𝗵𝗮𝘁𝗚𝗣𝗧:
They brought soil in baskets from the sea shore and filled the gaps with it. And the mountains became fertile, covered with grapevines, fruit trees, dogwood and raspberry bushes.

It's still a purely statistical algorithm, but it must be taking into account a far larger number of surrounding words as "relevant context" and using a far larger database of "previous use of the term" for its statistical analysis.

Nevertheless, it IS a big improvement.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Mankind May 9, 2023

Mankind will not be happy until he has created a perfect replica of himself.

Being a perfect replica, this replica will then set to work to create a perfect replica of itself.

And so on.

But by then there won't be any more human beings.

Kay Denney

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Humankind! May 9, 2023

Tom in London wrote:

Being a perfect replica, this replica will then set to work to create a perfect replica of itself.

And so on.

But by then there won't be any more human beings.

I can't believe this kind of antiquated sexist language is still permitted on a forum for linguists.

Matthias Brombach
Baran Keki

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 19:20
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
It's been happening for 2000+ years May 9, 2023

Tom in London wrote:

And so on.

Yes, that's why people have kids.

Is Mankind a he? There are some women there as well.

Christopher Schröder
Michele Fauble
Matthias Brombach
Jorge Payan

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
I knew someone would raise the "mankind" issue May 9, 2023

Lingua 5B wrote:

Is Mankind a he? There are some women there as well.

I knew someone would raise the "mankind" issue.

Try to focus on the point I made.

Baran Keki
Daryo
Helena Chavarria
Chris Spurgin
David Jessop
Irene (Renata) Liapis
MagnusRubensson

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Exclusive language May 9, 2023

Tom in London wrote:

You knew, yet you didn't bother typing a couple more letters or rephrasing.

Your point might not have been missed if you'd focused on the language you use.

Isn't that a cardinal sin for a translator?

And the dismissive response is hardly going to make friends and influence people.

Baran Keki

Daryo
Daryo
United Kingdom
Serbian to English
+ ...
You're aware ... May 13, 2023

Ice Scream wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

You knew, yet you didn't bother typing a couple more letters or rephrasing.

Your point might not have been missed if you'd focused on the language you use.

Isn't that a cardinal sin for a translator?

And the dismissive response is hardly going to make friends and influence people.

You're aware that all this deep thoughts will be absorbed as additional "raw input" for some future version of 𝗖𝗵𝗮𝘁𝗚𝗣𝗧, or whatever happens to next the next evolutionary step of AI, and may one day resurface as part of the answer to "give me some comparions with this story: In 1453, Constantinople fell to the Ottomans because the Byzantines were so preoccupied with whether angels were male or had no sex that they neglected to defend themselves against the oncoming invasion"?

Ways off topic ... or maybe not?

[Edited at 2023-05-13 17:05 GMT]

Christopher Schröder
MagnusRubensson

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
don't care May 14, 2023

Ice Scream wrote:

Here's another dismissive response: I don't care.

Christopher Schröder
Chris Spurgin
David Jessop
Daryo

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Ominous May 14, 2023

Tom in London wrote:
Here's another dismissive response: I don't care.

Don't care didn't care
Don't care was wild
Don't care stole plum and pear
Like any beggar's child.

Second verse is left as an exercise for the reader to google.

Just one of a fair number of slightly menacing nursery rhymes produced by the English. If we include those created (ostensibly) for the enlightenment of very young people then this collection by Hillaire Belloc deserves a mention, with "Matilda, who told lies, and was burned to death" being a particular favourite.

Dan

[Edited at 2023-05-14 18:59 GMT]

Christopher Schröder
Matthias Brombach

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
A reminder May 15, 2023

Chris Spurgin

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
The final answer May 15, 2023

Tom in London wrote:

No, evidently not, as the female translators won’t be replicated by machines.

Jesse Jackson (X)

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Counterpoint: Are artificial intelligences a truthful species ? May 15, 2023

Tom in London wrote:

Or is it, like Matilda, guilty of fabrication?

Matilda told such Dreadful Lies,
It made one Gasp and Stretch one's Eyes;
Her Aunt, who, from her Earliest Youth,
Had kept a Strict Regard for Truth,
Attempted to Believe Matilda:
The effort very nearly killed her

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Have no fear May 15, 2023

FwJUd9VWAAEPeNS

Daryo
P.L.F. Persio

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7] >

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »