Amazon offers nine free works in translation (e-book format) until World Book Day

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "Amazon offers nine free works in translation (e-book format) until World Book Day".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

Li Yang
Li Yang  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:05
Chinese to English
+ ...
Thank you! Apr 20, 2018

I downloaded all nine.

B D Finch
B D Finch  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 20:05
French to English
+ ...
Doesn't seem to be available in France Apr 21, 2018

Thanks for the link, but it seems that Amazon's internationalism stops at the US borders! When I clicked the link it only offered standard prices and amazon.fr doesn't show any offers at all or any mention of World Book Day.

Platary (X)
Platary (X)
Local time: 20:05
German to French
+ ...
Terms and Conditions Apr 22, 2018

B D Finch wrote:

Thanks for the link, but it seems that Amazon's internationalism stops at the US borders! When I clicked the link it only offered standard prices and amazon.fr doesn't show any offers at all or any mention of World Book Day.

If you click the Term and Conditions button, you see that "Eligible US customers can download..."

We are not!

Amazon

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
World Book and Copyright Day Apr 22, 2018

Taken from Wikipedia:
World Book Day or World Book and *Copyright* Day is a yearly event on April 23rd, organized by the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO), to promote reading, publishing, and copyright.

What’s more fitting to promote books, publishing, AND copyright, than to use DRM protection even on ebook giveaways?

What’s more fitting to celebrate a supposedly “World” event than to limit the celebration to a speci
... See more
Taken from Wikipedia:
World Book Day or World Book and *Copyright* Day is a yearly event on April 23rd, organized by the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO), to promote reading, publishing, and copyright.

What’s more fitting to promote books, publishing, AND copyright, than to use DRM protection even on ebook giveaways?

What’s more fitting to celebrate a supposedly “World” event than to limit the celebration to a specific country, as an international company? So much for Amazon’s internationalism, as B D Finch well puts it.

But the offer says: “Read these nine Kindle books from around the world for FREE”. So this is what “World” in “World Book Day” means in this Amazon-specific twist. Next time, maybe try calling it what is: “[DRM] Books-From-Around-The-World-Day”.

And to think it all started with copyright-free Cervantes’s Don Quixote…

[Edited at 2018-04-22 14:03 GMT]
Collapse

Jorge Payan
Jorge Payan  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 14:05
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Seven out of nine Apr 23, 2018

That is how many I was able to download. And I am not located in the USA.

[Edited at 2018-04-23 15:38 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Amazon offers nine free works in translation (e-book format) until World Book Day

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »