Thread poster: Martin Herlihy
Martin Herlihy
Martin Herlihy  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 10:34
Member (2023)
Japanese to English
Jan 22, 2018

I am working on an English translation of a Japanese system spec document created in Excel. It uses a lot of text boxes and drawing shapes with text inside. The text seems to have been successfully read into Trados when creating the project. However, when I export (Shift-F12) the file back to Excel, many of the text boxes are empty and missing translations. Has anyone run into this before and have any advice on how to get the text to export correctly? Thanks in advance.

Relevant inf
... See more
I am working on an English translation of a Japanese system spec document created in Excel. It uses a lot of text boxes and drawing shapes with text inside. The text seems to have been successfully read into Trados when creating the project. However, when I export (Shift-F12) the file back to Excel, many of the text boxes are empty and missing translations. Has anyone run into this before and have any advice on how to get the text to export correctly? Thanks in advance.

Relevant info:
---------------
Trados Studio 2015 Freelance SR3 12.3.5281.10
Original source Excel file is *xlsx
MS Office 365 Excel v1712 (for viewing)
Windows 10
Collapse

MollyRose
MollyRose  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:34
English to Spanish
+ ...
textbox size Jan 22, 2018

Did you make the textboxes in the target Excel spreadsheet bigger, to see if maybe the text is there but just wasn't showing? Either that, or maybe the textboxes are hiding somewhere. It does seem that they should be there somewhere, since they showed up in Trados and you were able to translate them.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados 2015: Excel text boxes not getting exported

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »