Thomas Johansson
Thomas Johansson  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 03:44
English to Swedish
+ ...
Jul 30, 2013

I'm having a strange problem with Word files received from one client:
Some spaces (between words), that originally were in the files, have gone missing.

Typically, I send my translations to her in normal Word files. Sometimes she sends these Word files back to me later to implement changes requested by the end client.
However, each time I receive such a Word file back, I find that some (but not all) spaces between words are missing in the received Word file.
... See more
I'm having a strange problem with Word files received from one client:
Some spaces (between words), that originally were in the files, have gone missing.

Typically, I send my translations to her in normal Word files. Sometimes she sends these Word files back to me later to implement changes requested by the end client.
However, each time I receive such a Word file back, I find that some (but not all) spaces between words are missing in the received Word file.

This only happens with this particular client. She has not made any changes in the files herself, so somehow the problem must have to do with e.g. the file transfer, mail servers, differences in operating systems or software or some other non-human factor.

Has anyone else encountered this problem? Does anyone have any idea what may be the cause?
Collapse

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:44
German to English
Caused by "Track changes"? Jul 30, 2013

This is pure speculation on my part, based on errors I've made in the past when editing documents.
Sometimes when corrections are made using the "Track changes" feature in Word, it's difficult to see that spaces between words have been eliminated. The person making the changes should use the "Final" view to check for erroneously eliminated spaces before accepting all changes and sending the file to you (or the agency, as the case may be).

I'm not sure there's a way to undo th
... See more
This is pure speculation on my part, based on errors I've made in the past when editing documents.
Sometimes when corrections are made using the "Track changes" feature in Word, it's difficult to see that spaces between words have been eliminated. The person making the changes should use the "Final" view to check for erroneously eliminated spaces before accepting all changes and sending the file to you (or the agency, as the case may be).

I'm not sure there's a way to undo the problem if someone along the line has accepted all the changes in the document.
Collapse

Sergei Leshchinsky
Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 11:44
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Bad conversion? Jul 30, 2013

I had similar prtoblems with bad convertion from Word 2007/2010 to Word 2003.

Mahdieh Kandoei
Mahdieh Kandoei  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:44
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
conversion to other version of word Jul 31, 2013

Sergei Leshchinsky wrote:

I had similar prtoblems with bad convertion from Word 2007/2010 to Word 2003.

I had this problem too.
It happened when my clients use other versions of MS word. Mine is 2010, theirs may be 2007 or even 2003. Make your MS word compatible with your client's.

Ramzan Nizam

Philip Lees
Philip Lees  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 11:44
Greek to English
Known bug Jul 31, 2013

I think you'll find the answer here:

http://tinyurl.com/3gazv92

Katarzyna Müller
Katarzyna Müller
Spain
Local time: 09:44
Member (2013)
Polish to English
+ ...
Word 2007 problem Jul 31, 2013

This is because your client uses word 2007 without the patch that solves this problem. If you also use 2007, you should update it.

Ramzan Nizam

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 10:44
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Thanks for the explanations! Aug 1, 2013

I run into the same problem now and then.

Ramzan Nizam
Ramzan Nizam  Identity Verified
Kuwait
Local time: 14:14
Member (2018)
Arabic to English
+ ...
This is a version problem Oct 22, 2018

This is due to the difference in the version of MS Word, i.e. 2007, 2010. Installing SP3 would solve this problem.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2633585

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

missing spaces in Word files

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »