Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:07
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Texte Style's experience ought to be the standard Jan 21, 2018

Catherine Skala wrote:
Texte Style, thank you, for you for account! I think a thorough QA process is imperative for any translation agency

Indeed, it ought to be standard. Texte Style describes a great agency set-up where the agency is not only acting as our source of work (something they can probably do far better than us) but is also playing an active role in making sure end-clients are happy and come back for more. They also reduce our risk and certainly earn their mark-up. Unfortunately many agencies are no more than brokers and all they provide really is a postbox, sending files back and forth between their clients and their suppliers. They add nothing except complications, delays and added risks - and yet they still take the same cut!

I have been reading other Proz forum threads and one mentioned that the translator owns the copyright of his/her translation. I have tried to get this verified online, and this seems to be the case. Does anyone know anything about this? It is pertinent to my current situation, as the translation was of a book. A short book, but still. So if they use ANY part of my translation without paying me, it would be copyright infringement. Or?

It's a grey area at best. I don't know whether it's ever been challenged in a court, and anyway it would be different from country to country. However, it can be useful. It's certainly something to mention to the agency. Unfortunately, on the one occasion I did that the agency called my bluff with a "Go ahead then!", which wasn't the response I'd hoped for. But I'm not in the habit of backing down so I went ahead and rang the end-client (who had uploaded my website translation) to say that I owned the copyright. It was a very unpleasant conversation, with the end-client saying "So what? Try it - sue me for copyright infringement!", and not one I'd ever like to repeat. However, next day the money was in my account and although my client sent a last email calling me all sorts of names, I'd got my result !

Catherine Skala
Catherine Skala  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 13:07
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I agree, Sheila.. Jan 21, 2018

...it has to be a collaboration between the translator and the agency, and mutual trust and respect, to get the best possible result and I think it mostly works that way, but there will always be 'cowboys' out there. I just didn't think I'd have to deal with a Scandi cowboy.

I must say that I'm quite shocked by your copyright infringement story; what on earth happened to professionalism and being, at least, civil?! That is absolutely dreadful behaviour on the part of the client.... See more
...it has to be a collaboration between the translator and the agency, and mutual trust and respect, to get the best possible result and I think it mostly works that way, but there will always be 'cowboys' out there. I just didn't think I'd have to deal with a Scandi cowboy.

I must say that I'm quite shocked by your copyright infringement story; what on earth happened to professionalism and being, at least, civil?! That is absolutely dreadful behaviour on the part of the client.

In fact, I think that is what makes me feel so uneasy about this current issue, the lack of communication, professionalism and an established process, as well as not being able to trust them.
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:07
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Well, some clients are human, with human failings Jan 22, 2018

Catherine Skala wrote:
I must say that I'm quite shocked by your copyright infringement story; what on earth happened to professionalism and being, at least, civil?! That is absolutely dreadful behaviour on the part of the client.

It was a shame, and very unpleasant. Strangely enough, I think things had been going too well. I'd helped his daughter sort out her holiday to Fuerteventura, where I live, for example. I think he thought we were friends so I wouldn't mind waiting. In fact, I'm sure I would have accorded him more time if he'd been upfront about cash-flow problems. But he just went silent on me - for a couple of months. I suppose maybe he was embarrassed - I don't really know. And then I put him in a very difficult position and on the other end of the phone line from his very angry client. He just ended up taking it all very personally, whereas to me he was (just) a client with whom I'd had a very good relationship but who had let me down badly in the end.

The moral (if there is one): Be civil and friendly but don't mistake a business relationship for a friendship. Business is business, and it doesn't pay to get too personally involved. I imagine we both learnt a lot from the episode. I suppose in some ways it may be easier to deal with the faceless corporations that exist in translation, as there's no way that "personal" is going to get in the way there, but on balance I still prefer the occasional hiccups of dealing with small and medium-sized businesses.

I just didn't think I'd have to deal with a Scandi cowboy.

True, you don't often hear of them. But in a way I find it it quite comforting. Now I know that Scandinavians are human too .

Catherine Skala
Belgium
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Touché, Sheila :) Jan 22, 2018

Thank you, I now realise how utterly subjective and narrow my comment about Scandi cowboys was. I suppose that, given my working languages, I have just worked with so many Scandinavia-based agencies and have never had any problems until now. Lesson learned

And you are absolutely right about the importance of keeping business and friendship separate, there is not really any room for emotion within a business relations
... See more
Thank you, I now realise how utterly subjective and narrow my comment about Scandi cowboys was. I suppose that, given my working languages, I have just worked with so many Scandinavia-based agencies and have never had any problems until now. Lesson learned

And you are absolutely right about the importance of keeping business and friendship separate, there is not really any room for emotion within a business relationship and it never solves anything.

Thanks again, everyone, you are really helping me through a very unpleasant experience!
Collapse

Catherine Skala
Belgium
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Feedback provided Jan 22, 2018

I have received some feedback. 'This word is incorrect'. 'We don't like this word' 'Page 7: Odd word choice'. 'The text does not correspond with the title' (if there is any truth to this comment, it is likely that the file, a Word file with the text copied and pasted straight from a pdf, was not uploaded correctly from the tool, which I have absolutely no control over, as the file is delivered in the tool). Bear in mind that the text is more than 14,000 words long.

And for the pièc
... See more
I have received some feedback. 'This word is incorrect'. 'We don't like this word' 'Page 7: Odd word choice'. 'The text does not correspond with the title' (if there is any truth to this comment, it is likely that the file, a Word file with the text copied and pasted straight from a pdf, was not uploaded correctly from the tool, which I have absolutely no control over, as the file is delivered in the tool). Bear in mind that the text is more than 14,000 words long.

And for the pièce de résistance, for those who know Swedish. 'Tvärsäker' has been translated as 'cocksure' and the client is not happy because 'cocksure' means 'kuksäker' (sorry!).
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation agencies' complaints procedures

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »