Microsoft Translator gone Biblical on me...
Thread poster: Colin Smith
Colin Smith
Colin Smith
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:22
French to English
+ ...
Nov 25, 2015

I use Microsoft Translator through the SDL Language Cloud plugin, and it has been coming up with some pretty impressive translations in the last few weeks - often suggesting terms that are better than what I would have used.

Today, half way through a job, it has gone all holier-than-thou and suggesting translations such as:

Comment t'es tu senti ? = How is it that thou hast felt?

or

Quels sont les éléments qui, d’après toi, constituent tes
... See more
I use Microsoft Translator through the SDL Language Cloud plugin, and it has been coming up with some pretty impressive translations in the last few weeks - often suggesting terms that are better than what I would have used.

Today, half way through a job, it has gone all holier-than-thou and suggesting translations such as:

Comment t'es tu senti ? = How is it that thou hast felt?

or

Quels sont les éléments qui, d’après toi, constituent tes points forts ? = What are the elements
which, after thee, constitute
thy strengths?

It was funny at first, now it's just annoying. Looks like someone has chucked a few copies of the King James Bible into the mincer over at MT headquarters.

Is anybody else getting this? And can we do anything to stop it?
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 23:22
Spanish to English
+ ...
MT or not MT, that is the question Nov 25, 2015

I'd probably just leave it as it is, as a reminder to give any machine translations a good going over before delivering anything.

Jeff Allen
Jeff Allen  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 23:22
Multiplelanguages
+ ...
Microsoft MT team may have followed my suggestion ... Nov 25, 2015

It looks like the MS MT team in Redmond read my articles on this and decided to try out the concept.

ALLEN, Jeff. 2002. The Bible as a Resource for Translation Software: A proposal for Machine Translation (MT) development using an untapped language resource database. In Multilingual Computing and Technology. Number 51, Vol. 13, Issue 7
... See more
It looks like the MS MT team in Redmond read my articles on this and decided to try out the concept.

ALLEN, Jeff. 2002. The Bible as a Resource for Translation Software: A proposal for Machine Translation (MT) development using an untapped language resource database. In Multilingual Computing and Technology. Number 51, Vol. 13, Issue 7. October/November 2002. Pp. 40-45. (URL: http://www.multilingual.com/articleDetail.php?id=614)

ALLEN, Jeff. 2003. The Bible as a Resource for Translation Software. In International Journal of Localisation, Annual Localisation Reader. (republished with permission from MultiLingual Press).

However, I proposed it as a springboard bootstrapping method for less commonly written languages, or just for retrieving grammar structures and semantic structure for major languages like French and English.

Jeff
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Microsoft Translator gone Biblical on me...

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »