Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35] >
难翻的词 (The English words that are very difficult to translate into Chinese)
Thread poster: Zhoudan
chica nueva
chica nueva
Local time: 21:32
Chinese to English
Poets Apr 10, 2008

Wenjer Leuschel wrote:
Anyone who is absent-minded is called "散仙" in Taiwanese. In German, we call such a person "Trottel" as I introduced the term "Globaltrottel" when I posted a song, "Un trotamundo como yo", sung by Nicola di Bari.

A "Narr (fool)" or a "Trottel (dope)" is usually not even taken seriously by his own wife, like 淳于髡 during the Warrior Time in Chinese hitory.

Poet-Sage; Poet-Immortal

[Edited at 2008-04-10 21:55]

chica nueva
chica nueva
Local time: 21:32
Chinese to English
'Dancing in Chains'; sonnet Apr 11, 2008

lai an wrote:

Thank you very much, Wenjer. From you I learnt about 德,理,情 and 统一战争.
For me, 'dancing in chains' is a discipline (as the poet said).

[Edited at 2008-04-10 04:17]

[Edited at 2008-04-10 07:09]

[Edited at 2008-04-10 07:10]

[Edited at 2008-04-10 08:21]

Han Yu, Tang Dynasty poet and statesman
Pope, Shakespeare

顺连/顺联/训练

[Edited at 2008-04-11 22:20]

QUOI
QUOI  Identity Verified

Chinese to English
+ ...
presentation Apr 13, 2008

有上下文的还比较好处理,孤零零的一句就比较恶心:
Explaining how your presentation is organised

报告?发言?示范?

[Edited at 2008-04-13 05:27]

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:32
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
我偶然注意到中文的某些职位名称被人赋予了极度夸张的含义 Apr 13, 2008

所带来的结果就是某些职位的社会地位极低,而某些却极高,高得莫明其妙。

比如列车员 VS空中小姐。这两种人被人赋予的含义真是一个天上一个地上。 一个在天上一个在地上,倒是实情, 但从本质来说,仅仅是一个在天上飞一个在地上跑。都是服务员。仅此而已。

如果把空姐和宾馆服务员放一起比较,就更没法比了。其实两者也没什么本质上的区别,�
... See more
所带来的结果就是某些职位的社会地位极低,而某些却极高,高得莫明其妙。

比如列车员 VS空中小姐。这两种人被人赋予的含义真是一个天上一个地上。 一个在天上一个在地上,倒是实情, 但从本质来说,仅仅是一个在天上飞一个在地上跑。都是服务员。仅此而已。

如果把空姐和宾馆服务员放一起比较,就更没法比了。其实两者也没什么本质上的区别,只不过一个是在飞,另一个是在固定场所服务而已。都是hospitality industry 里的一个环节。

然而,一个人要是当了宾馆服务员,就会被人看成是伺候人的,而空姐不也是伺候人的吗?但却不会有人那么想。用一个现实的例子就很容易看出这种区别。假如某人娶了个饭店服务员当老婆,邻居们或许会看不起这个人;但假如某人娶了个空姐做老婆,他可能会立即被邻居们高看一眼。

如果当年发明空中小姐这个词的人用的是“飞机服务员”,也许空姐在如今也就没那么高的地位了。

其实在很多语言中, 与空姐对应的词并没有这么夸张的意韵。例如英语,不过是司徒瓦特而已。司徒瓦特听起来有那么美吗?没有吧。

这也许是文化差异使然,也许是社会经济原因使然,如果这里有人还在念语言方面的学位,其实可以把这个当一个课题研究研究。

文化语言学?心理语言学?社会语言学?我也不知该归到哪一类,反正觉得这个主题可以用来做一大篇文章。

我也不知我想说什么,没理顺就贴出来了,怕忘了。

[Edited at 2008-04-13 22:19]

[Edited at 2008-04-13 22:21]

[Edited at 2008-04-13 23:36]
Collapse

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
一问莱丝莉 Apr 13, 2008

你怎么老贴那些历史文化的文章啊?逻辑上好像有点不搭界啊!那些事我们读者都知道,因为这里的人都上过大学。如果你希望给老外们增长知识,很显然这里不是最恰当的场所,因为极少有老外到这里来,而且来了他们也许看不懂,太深奥,只有你这样的老外才懂这个。

QUOI
QUOI  Identity Verified

Chinese to English
+ ...
莱丝莉被禁声了 Apr 14, 2008

要一个月以后才解禁。
理由只有等版主说明了。

jyuan_us wrote:

你怎么老贴那些历史文化的文章啊?逻辑上好像有点不搭界啊!那些事我们读者都知道,因为这里的人都上过大学。如果你希望给老外们增长知识,很显然这里不是最恰当的场所,因为极少有老外到这里来,而且来了他们也许看不懂,太深奥,只有你这样的老外才懂这个。

Kevin Yang
Kevin Yang  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:32
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
It is not appropriate to discuss this matter here. Apr 14, 2008

abinitio,

The mentioned case has nothing to do with you. I am not clear why you need to bring it to this thread to discuss. It is my decision due to certain violation to the forums rules. There is no rule saying I need to explain about it.

Kevin

[修改时间: 2008-04-14 06:11]

QUOI
QUOI  Identity Verified

Chinese to English
+ ...
A bit touchy... Apr 14, 2008

Dear Moderator,

Which part of my post does it say that I intended to have a discussion about this matter?

Which part of my post does it demand, request or "ask politely" that you explain your reasons concerning Lesley's suspension?

I was merely following jyuan_us' post which appeared to be a question to Lesley.

abinitio wrote:

莱丝莉被禁声了 1:05am

要一个月以后才解禁。
理由只有等版主说明了

Kevin Yang wrote:
It is not appropriate to discuss this matter here.

abinitio,

The mentioned case has nothing to do with you. I am not clear why you need to bring it to this thread to discuss. It is my decision due to certain violation to the forums rules. There is no rule saying I need to explain about it.

Kevin

[修改时间: 2008-04-14 06:11]

[Edited at 2008-04-14 09:26]

Kevin Yang
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Your questions are best for yourself to reply. Apr 14, 2008

abinitio wrote:

Dear Moderator,

Which part of my post does it say that I intended to have a discussion about this matter?

Which part of my post does it demand, request or "ask politely" that you explain your reasons concerning Lesley's suspension?

I was merely following jyuan_us' post which appeared to be a question to Lesley.

abinitio wrote:

莱丝莉被禁声了 1:05am

要一个月以后才解禁。
理由只有等版主说明了

abinitio,

For your information, each site has its own designated purpose ( http://www.proz.com/siterules/forum/11#11 ). This thread is for discussing "难翻的词", and the matter you reported here is about the administration action on another user. Anything being posted in a forum is open for discussion, but this is not a matter for discussion. If you wanted to inquire information or express any of your opinions, you need to file a support ticket, not just post it in any thread you want.

Kevin

Jason Ma
Jason Ma  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 16:32
English to Chinese
+ ...
Lai an Apr 14, 2008

See you at the Kudoz

QUOI
QUOI  Identity Verified

Chinese to English
+ ...
With pleasure, let me answer my own questions... Apr 15, 2008

Dear Moderator,

Let me say this:

1. I was merely following a previous post which appeared to contain a direct question to a forum participant.

2. I happened to possess certain information about this forum participant and I posted it as a matter of fact.

3. I didn't express any personal opinion regarding the administrative action, nor was I interested in discussing it.

Reading too much into my post is nothing more than speculatin
... See more
Dear Moderator,

Let me say this:

1. I was merely following a previous post which appeared to contain a direct question to a forum participant.

2. I happened to possess certain information about this forum participant and I posted it as a matter of fact.

3. I didn't express any personal opinion regarding the administrative action, nor was I interested in discussing it.

Reading too much into my post is nothing more than speculating and that's all I wish to say on this matter.

Kevin Yang wrote:
Your questions are best for yourself to reply. Apr 14

abinitio,

For your information, each site has its own designated purpose ( http://www.proz.com/siterules/forum/11#11 ). This thread is for discussing "难翻的词", and the matter you reported here is about the administration action on another user. Anything being posted in a forum is open for discussion, but this is not a matter for discussion. If you wanted to inquire information or express any of your opinions, you need to file a support ticket, not just post it in any thread you want.

Kevin

[Edited at 2008-04-15 01:38]
Collapse

Kevin Yang
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Your above posts do not belong to this thread. Apr 15, 2008

abinitio wrote:

Dear Moderator,

Let me say this:

Reading too much into my post is nothing more than speculating and that's all I wish to say on this matter.

abinitio,

Your above posts do not belong to this thread. Please refer to what I wrote to you in my previous post. Please take this as my warning to you, and for that I would use rule http://www.proz.com/siterules/forum/11#11
If you need to get the official explanation about the admin action you mentioned, please file your support ticket.

Kevin Yang

[修改时间: 2008-04-15 05:17]

isahuang
isahuang
English to Chinese
+ ...
“有觉悟“怎么能翻的地道一点? Apr 23, 2008

例句:我比你有觉悟多了。

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

难翻的词 (The English words that are very difficult to translate into Chinese)

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »