Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >
Leaving the EU - what does this mean for us?
Thread poster: Maaike van Vlijmen
Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:29
Member (2008)
Italian to English
A comment that will be relevant for many translators Jun 25, 2016

Shares of Apple Inc. shed 2.81% Friday in a broad market downturn sparked by Brits voting to leave the European Union.

http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/apple-drops-2.81-in-broad-brexit-selloff

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
No, a petition shouldn't beat a referendum. Jun 25, 2016

Dan Lucas wrote:

Michael J.W. Beijer wrote:
Surely these people's voice should also count for something?

Surely the referendum should count for something, rather than repeated for Remain's sake until it gets the result they want? (Although there are no guarantees that would happen. Already the idea of Brexit is more familiar and therefore likely to be perceived as less of a leap into the dark than it was two days ago.)

The country has expressed its view. The loss of one party is a concomitant of majority voting. One side wins, one side loses. It's time to move on.

And yes, this thread likely gets zapped when the mods notice it, so long answers are probably a waste of time!

Dan

However, staying in the EU is staying with what we know, but leaving is embarking on an unknown (and possibly dangerous) journey. The decision to leave should therefore have been taken more seriously, and required a larger majority.

Were things really that bad here in the UK to warrant such a drastic solution, or attempted solution? I don't think so. I actually thought things were going pretty well.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Translation-related post Jun 25, 2016

Just finished writing a long email to a friend in Italy who wanted my opinion.

"What comforts me personally is to have close to me, here in London, many good friends and colleagues, and good work to do as a translator even though I'm concerned about the uncertainty of what will happen with the banks, the exchange rate and generally my relationships with my Italian clients.

It is very difficult, from a psychological point of view, to go back to 43 years ago when the UK j
... See more
Just finished writing a long email to a friend in Italy who wanted my opinion.

"What comforts me personally is to have close to me, here in London, many good friends and colleagues, and good work to do as a translator even though I'm concerned about the uncertainty of what will happen with the banks, the exchange rate and generally my relationships with my Italian clients.

It is very difficult, from a psychological point of view, to go back to 43 years ago when the UK joined the Common Market, as it was then; but it is even more difficult, from a practical point of view, to undo everything that has been built in these 43 years. I believe that in three months or six months, those who have not yet realised will realise: that objectively speaking, the task they have set themselves is actually impossible. Then who knows what will happen ..."
Collapse

Gabriele Demuth
Gabriele Demuth  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to German
Just signed the petition - 2,787,905 signatures Jun 26, 2016

To be able to have my say somewhere as I wasn't allowed to vote in the referendum.

What is saddening is that this referendum wasn't about the EU, it was about a discontent and a fear of immigration by many who wouldn't know an immigrant if they saw one - but tabloid papers told them that the country will be overrun, that they all come to take their jobs and to claim benefits.

I live in an area where about 70% decided to leave, an area of with mostly white British, worki
... See more
To be able to have my say somewhere as I wasn't allowed to vote in the referendum.

What is saddening is that this referendum wasn't about the EU, it was about a discontent and a fear of immigration by many who wouldn't know an immigrant if they saw one - but tabloid papers told them that the country will be overrun, that they all come to take their jobs and to claim benefits.

I live in an area where about 70% decided to leave, an area of with mostly white British, working class people.

Very disappointing and the road ahead seems even scarier.
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
In two hours, 73107 signatures Jun 26, 2016

in the 2 hours since Gabriele's post, more than 73,000 signatures have been added.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/131215/

[Edited at 2016-06-26 07:24 GMT]

Merab Dekano
Merab Dekano  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Solution Jun 26, 2016

Teresa Borges wrote:

As a former EU staff member (retired now) I’m also thinking about all the British colleagues working at the EU institutions who will find unemployment soon. Some were seen crying yesterday…

[Edited at 2016-06-25 17:48 GMT]

I know from "inner" sources that EU officials who have the British nationality may be offered a possibility to stay as they have been loyal workers of a EU institution having, waved their 'national hats' when they joined the organization. I personally think that would be the right thing to do.

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: http://www.proz.com/siterules/general/1#1
Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
I also wasn't allowed to vote … Jun 26, 2016

Gabriele Demuth wrote:

I live in an area where about 70% decided to leave, an area of with mostly white British, working class people.

Very disappointing and the road ahead seems even scarier.

I also wasn't allowed to vote, being Dutch/American, even though I own a house here and my wife and daughter are British. Neither were all the people under 16 allowed to vote, most of whom would have voted to Remain.

Michael

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Moody's cut UK's credit outlook to 'negative' Jun 26, 2016

"In Moody's view, the negative effect from lower economic growth will outweigh the fiscal savings from the UK no longer having to contribute to the EU budget."

"Colin Ellis, chief credit officer at Moody's, told BBC Radio 4's Today programme the UK's credit rating could have an impact on UK households in the long term."

"A White House spokesman later said Mr Obama "stands by what he said" about the UK going to "the back of the queue" when it comes to trad
... See more
"In Moody's view, the negative effect from lower economic growth will outweigh the fiscal savings from the UK no longer having to contribute to the EU budget."

"Colin Ellis, chief credit officer at Moody's, told BBC Radio 4's Today programme the UK's credit rating could have an impact on UK households in the long term."

"A White House spokesman later said Mr Obama "stands by what he said" about the UK going to "the back of the queue" when it comes to trade deals with the US."

(http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36626201 )

Not sure how any of this is going to affect our profession, but it definitely doesn't look like it is going to do either the UK economy or the UK people any good.

[Edited at 2016-06-26 09:16 GMT]

3,006,924 signatures!!!

[Edited at 2016-06-26 09:21 GMT]
Collapse

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: http://www.proz.com/siterules/general/1#1
Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
My work is directly affected Jun 26, 2016

I do a considerable amount of work translating the content, entry requirements, etc. for Italian university courses that are offered to English speakers and meet EU educational criteria in terms of credits, etc.

Now that the UK has thrown all of that out of the window, I am slightly worried that this area of my work may dry up.

I would be interested to hear from other translators about particular areas of work that might also dry up.

Markus Nystrom
Markus Nystrom  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:29
Swedish to English
+ ...
Democracy is great and all... Jun 26, 2016

...when it coincides with the interests of a transnational elite of managers, capital allocators, speculators, propagandists (by which I mean all establishment media, which are simply the pipelines through which rootless capital's corrosive effects are allowed to work on our minds), sinecure holders and other assorted locusts and paladins of approved culture. Or so some of the above hysterical comments seem to indicate.

But when democracy expresses and (horrors!) even ratifies the i
... See more
...when it coincides with the interests of a transnational elite of managers, capital allocators, speculators, propagandists (by which I mean all establishment media, which are simply the pipelines through which rootless capital's corrosive effects are allowed to work on our minds), sinecure holders and other assorted locusts and paladins of approved culture. Or so some of the above hysterical comments seem to indicate.

But when democracy expresses and (horrors!) even ratifies the interests of poor people, especially evil, wicked, backwards, racist white people (who after all exist only to give away what their ancestors have built), then it is an unmitigated threat to all our values. Have I got that right?

I never thought I would say this, but God save the Queen. Ho-hum.
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I'm not sure Jun 26, 2016

Merab Dekano wrote:

Teresa Borges wrote:

As a former EU staff member (retired now) I’m also thinking about all the British colleagues working at the EU institutions who will find unemployment soon. Some were seen crying yesterday…

[Edited at 2016-06-25 17:48 GMT]

I know from "inner" sources that EU officials who have the British nationality may be offered a possibility to stay as they have been loyal workers of a EU institution having, waved their 'national hats' when they joined the organization. I personally think that would be the right thing to do.

My "inner sources" say that they just don't know what is going to happen and everything depends on the negotiations. The number of British staff has been decreasing from 25% to 4.6% these last years. Many will retire and I’m sure trade unions will defend the social and material interests of the remaining, but it’s an unhappy and difficult situation for them.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Leaving the EU - what does this mean for us?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »