Why does every single post and edit have to be approved / vetted? (Staff: "They don't")
Thread poster: BNN Medical Tr.
BNN Medical Tr.
BNN Medical Tr.
Brazil
Local time: 14:19
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Aug 16, 2017

I've read the rules but didn't find info about this. If I write a huge post, it gets approved and I make a small typo correction, it will nevertheless have to be vetted all over again. Is the problem with malicious edits so prevalent on this forum that this system had to be put in place?

Is there a minimum amount of posts a user has to make to be considered trustworthy, or it's always like this for everyone?

Thanks.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2018-06
... See more
I've read the rules but didn't find info about this. If I write a huge post, it gets approved and I make a small typo correction, it will nevertheless have to be vetted all over again. Is the problem with malicious edits so prevalent on this forum that this system had to be put in place?

Is there a minimum amount of posts a user has to make to be considered trustworthy, or it's always like this for everyone?

Thanks.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2018-06-13 17:42 GMT]
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 17:19
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
It can be avoided Aug 17, 2017

ProZ.com is a bit more careful than some forums - thank heavens. They'll keep vetting everything you post (including edits) until you do one of two things:
- Have your identity verified
- Buy membership

I'm pretty sure there's a FAQ about identity verification. Mind you, membership has to be the better way to go if you want to play an active role on the site.

HTH

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 18:19
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Please see the site FAQ Aug 17, 2017

7 - Are forum postings vetted?

Forum postings from members and users with verified identities appear immediately.* Postings from all others are checked before being made visible. Most postings are approved within 12 hours.
http://www.proz.com/faq/3064#3064

Bernhard Sulzer
Bernhard Sulzer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:19
English to German
+ ...
Who are the "other" users with verified identities? Aug 17, 2017

Natalie wrote:

7 - Are forum postings vetted?

Forum postings from members and users with verified identities appear immediately.* Postings from all others are checked before being made visible. Most postings are approved within 12 hours.
http://www.proz.com/faq/3064#3064

Does that mean non-paying members can have their identities verified in order to post to the forums and not be vetted? Isn't identity-verification only done through the payment process when you become a paying member?

Thanks,
Bernhard

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
The verified identity program in the FAQs Aug 17, 2017

There is a section dedicated to the verified identity program in the FAQs.

Regards,
Enrique

Bernhard Sulzer
United States
English to German
+ ...
Access to forums after identity verification Aug 17, 2017

Enrique wrote:

There is a section dedicated to the verified identity program in the FAQs.

Regards,
Enrique

Thank you Enrique.

The easiest and least expensive way to get verified seems to be the third of three possible options: one-time non-refundable credit card payment of $5 (US) in one's own name.

When this is done, does the user get unvetted access to the forums?

[Edited at 2017-08-18 00:00 GMT]

BNN Medical Tr.
BNN Medical Tr.
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How? Aug 18, 2017

If you change the given name, middle name, or last name in your profile after your identity has already been verified, your identity verification will be revoked. To get re-verified, you will need to submit a support request.

This is problematic for me. I much prefer having "BNN Medical Translations" as my display name on the site, so I was thinking of changing my name for the verification process only and then changing it back, but alas. How do I get verified and still keep the name I currently have?

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 01:19
Chinese to English
+ ...
Display name =/= real name Aug 18, 2017

Figure it out yourself from the attached image.

Clipboard03

Enrique Manzo
Enrique Manzo
SITE STAFF
How to hide your name or make it visible Aug 18, 2017

As indicated above, you can choose to show your username (BNN Medical Translations) while still reporting your real name in your profile. Just make sure you select the option "Show username, as used in login". You can modify these settings through your profile updater https://www.proz.com/settings/freelancer?eid_s=2413187

Note that if you perform a purchase and you have
... See more
As indicated above, you can choose to show your username (BNN Medical Translations) while still reporting your real name in your profile. Just make sure you select the option "Show username, as used in login". You can modify these settings through your profile updater https://www.proz.com/settings/freelancer?eid_s=2413187

Note that if you perform a purchase and you haven't declared your name in your profile, site staff will be unable to verify payment information against your profile information.

For more information about showing/hiding your name, you can check this FAQ http://www.proz.com/faq/42667#42667

Regards,
Enrique M
Collapse

Bernhard Sulzer
United States
English to German
+ ...
About unvetted access Aug 18, 2017

Enrique Manzo wrote:

Note that if you perform a purchase and you haven't declared your name in your profile, site staff will be unable to verify payment information against your profile information.

For more information about showing/hiding your name, you can check this FAQ http://www.proz.com/faq/42667#42667

Regards,
Enrique M

Enrique,
Could you answer the question I posted above about the unvetted access to the forums after identity verification.
Thank you,
Bernhard

BNN Medical Tr.
BNN Medical Tr.
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Nope, character limit Aug 19, 2017

As indicated above, you can choose to show your username (BNN Medical Translations) while still reporting your real name in your profile.

Nope, the username field doesn't have enough characters for that. At most, I can do "BNN Medical Tr.". My username only has "medical translations" because that's what I set as my last name.

Or am I somehow misunderstanding?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why does every single post and edit have to be approved / vetted? (Staff: "They don't")

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »