Zeki Güler
Zeki Güler  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:23
Member (2012)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Aug 20, 2015

Hi,

I want to enter just once, and to see it works in all cases above, regardless of whether there are any capital letters or not. In other words, I dont want to enter the same term several times to the TB, by changing the letters to the capital and vice versa. For example:
Xyz > Xyz
xyz > xyz
XYZ > XYZ
xYZ > xYZ

How can I do it?

Thanks,

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 14:23
English to Russian
New term defaults Aug 20, 2015

You can disable the case sensitive mode for all new entries:
Select your TB => Properties => New term defaults => Select source or target language => Select 'No' for 'Case sensitivity'.

However the result (target) from TB will always be the same case (as you typed it when adding term).
E.g. if you add Xyz > Xyz, you will have
xyz > Xyz
XYZ > Xyz
xYZ > Xyz

This is because you may have more than one word in a TB entry with different number o
... See more
Select your TB => Properties => New term defaults => Select source or target language => Select 'No' for 'Case sensitivity'.

However the result (target) from TB will always be the same case (as you typed it when adding term).
xyz > Xyz
XYZ > Xyz
xYZ > Xyz

This is because you may have more than one word in a TB entry with different number of words in source and target.
For example, three English words 'Permit to Work' become two hyphen-separated words in Russian: 'наряд-допуск'.
In this case, memoQ just cannot identify how to behave with capitalization.
Collapse

Michel GAUBERT

Zeki Güler
Zeki Güler  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:23
Member (2012)
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How about %100 case sensitivity ? Aug 20, 2015

Is there a way to enter just one term, but get various versions of it depending on what I type (with capital letters) ?

I mean I want to enter just xyz>xyz, but when I type the same word with a capital letter, I want to view its capital version like these :
e.g. xyz > xyz, Xyz> Xyz , XYZ>XYZ ...etc.

Does setting case sensivity to %100 provide me with these results ?

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Nope Aug 21, 2015

No, you can't. I've explained above why this is not possible. memoQ (like any other CAT tool) is not a crystal ball to forsee which words need capitalization.

The only way to do so is adding all capitalization variants as synonyms. But if you do so each time, you may have your TB clogged with messy variants.
Use shift+F3 for capitalization as a possible solution.

[Edited at 2015-08-21 07:56 GMT]

Châu Nguyễn
Châu Nguyễn  Identity Verified
Vietnam
Local time: 18:23
Member (2012)
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
I did not manage to do it Aug 23, 2015

Stepan Konev wrote:

xyz > Xyz
XYZ > Xyz
xYZ > Xyz

This is because you may have more than one word in a TB entry with different number of words in source and target.
For example, three English words 'Permit to Work' become two hyphen-separated words in Russian: 'наряд-допуск'.
In this case, memoQ just cannot identify how to behave with capitalization.

I set New term defaults to No for both languages. I entered the term as xyz > abc. And MemoQ still did not suggest the term when I typed Abc, I have to type abc before MemoQ gives suggestion. This is a minor but really frustrating issue. I don't want to clog my TB with variants of different cases of the same term.

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
If you entered xyz > abc... Aug 23, 2015

...what term do you expect from memoQ TB when typing 'Abc'?

It works so that when you have Xyz or xYz or xyZ or XYz or XyZ... in the source part, you will always have 'abc' as a result from TB.

memoQ suggests you 'abc' (which is a target term) when you type 'abc' and does not suggest 'abc' when you type 'Abc' _becuase_, in this case, it uses Autosuggest mechanism, but not the Termbase.

If you want to disable the Autosuggest case-sen'ty, go to Translatio
... See more
...what term do you expect from memoQ TB when typing 'Abc'?

It works so that when you have Xyz or xYz or xyZ or XYz or XyZ... in the source part, you will always have 'abc' as a result from TB.

memoQ suggests you 'abc' (which is a target term) when you type 'abc' and does not suggest 'abc' when you type 'Abc' _becuase_, in this case, it uses Autosuggest mechanism, but not the Termbase.

If you want to disable the Autosuggest case-sen'ty, go to Translation -> Predictive typing... -> Uncheck Suggestions are case-sensitive.

[Edited at 2015-08-23 22:56 GMT]
Collapse

Jonathan von Zelowitz
RobertRicker

Haralabos Papatheodorou
Haralabos Papatheodorou  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 13:23
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Disabling capitalisation of terms Apr 25, 2017

To ignore case sensitivity, you need to set the case sensitivity attribute of each and every term in the term base to No. Go to Tools > Resource Console, and select Term bases, then select the term base you want to edit and click Edit. After this select all terms by pressing Ctrl+Shift+A. At the bottom of the screen you see the two selected languages. Under the language where you want to ignore case sensitivity select Case sensitivity and select No. A dialog appears, click Yes. Now your terms wi... See more
To ignore case sensitivity, you need to set the case sensitivity attribute of each and every term in the term base to No. Go to Tools > Resource Console, and select Term bases, then select the term base you want to edit and click Edit. After this select all terms by pressing Ctrl+Shift+A. At the bottom of the screen you see the two selected languages. Under the language where you want to ignore case sensitivity select Case sensitivity and select No. A dialog appears, click Yes. Now your terms will be recognised regardless of their case.

(Source: http://kb.memoq.com/article/AA-00425/0/Disabling-capitalisation-of-terms.html)
Collapse

Anthony Veretyuk
Anthony Veretyuk
Russian Federation
Local time: 18:23
English to Russian
+ ...
Predictive case sentitivity Feb 23, 2018

Stepan Konev wrote:
If you want to disable the Autosuggest case-sen'ty, go to Translation -> Predictive typing... -> Uncheck Suggestions are case-sensitive.

[Edited at 2015-08-23 22:56 GMT]

Степан, огромное спасибо. Перерыл я МемоQ вдоль и поперек, но эта функция почему-то постоянно выпадала из поля зрения. Благодаря вам, я наконец-то решил эту проблему! Удачи вам!

Dear, Stepan! I would like to thank you for your help! I have been looking for this solution for about 2 years and suddenly I have found it! And that happened thanks to you! Good luck to you!

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Funnily Apr 5, 2020

I have been not using memoQ for so long time now that I forgot how to fix this 'bug'.
It took me two days to find this thread. Thank you Stepan! Hahaha

Tomasz Swolany
Tomasz Swolany
Poland
Local time: 12:23
English to Polish
+ ...
THX Jun 3, 2020

Thank you, it helped me too!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Capital letter issue in the Term Base

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »