neilmac
Spain
Local time: 19:01
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yardstick this... Jan 22, 2016

Tom in London wrote:

neilmac wrote:

The way I see it, minor foibles like the ones mentioned are simply part and parcel of normal speech. Not worth getting one's knickers in a twist over

You're in Spain, so you're not hearing it every day, all the time.

OK, I get that, but as a long-time defender and inveterate user of cliché, I must say I perceive this initially whimsical thread as having gradually degenerated into a frenzy of gratuitous metaphor trashing. Baby and bathwater, boys, baby and bathwater.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:01
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Rules Jan 22, 2016

neilmac wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

neilmac wrote:

The way I see it, minor foibles like the ones mentioned are simply part and parcel of normal speech. Not worth getting one's knickers in a twist over

You're in Spain, so you're not hearing it every day, all the time.

OK, I get that, but as a long-time defender and inveterate user of cliché, I must say I perceive this initially whimsical thread as having gradually degenerated into a frenzy of gratuitous metaphor trashing. Baby and bathwater, boys, baby and bathwater.

It's the rules. All discussion threads must wander off-topic by the time they get to the second page. Didn't you know?

Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
At the end of the day Jan 25, 2016

At the end of the day, to be honest with you, you know, I mean, discussions like this are, at least mostly interesting and this "lighter side" forum is the right place for them.
I too, first noticed the use of "so" to begin answers to questions 2 or 3 years ago and it seemed to be done mostly by people who considered themselves to be important in the business world.

There's quite a lot of this popular, fashionable, not really correct, English to be heard on LBC radio, because
... See more
At the end of the day, to be honest with you, you know, I mean, discussions like this are, at least mostly interesting and this "lighter side" forum is the right place for them.
I too, first noticed the use of "so" to begin answers to questions 2 or 3 years ago and it seemed to be done mostly by people who considered themselves to be important in the business world.

There's quite a lot of this popular, fashionable, not really correct, English to be heard on LBC radio, because most of its content is from listeners who ring the station to express opinions, state their experiences or ask questions. You can probably listen anywhere in the world as the website includes a "listen live" link. LBC was originally London Broadcasting Company (& possibly still is, legally); then they decided it was London's Biggest Conversation; now that it's available Britain-wide on digital radio, they say it is Leading Britain's Conversation.
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
So Jan 25, 2016

So I've been listening to LBC since it started in 1973.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/october/8/newsid_2530000/2530721.stm

So the anchormen and women range from politically right-wing to politically left-wing and in compliance with British law, are required to maintain a balance although some of them are qui
... See more
So I've been listening to LBC since it started in 1973.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/october/8/newsid_2530000/2530721.stm

So the anchormen and women range from politically right-wing to politically left-wing and in compliance with British law, are required to maintain a balance although some of them are quite clever at getting round that restriction, such as the very enjoyable Nick Abbott.

So the bottom line is that sort of, to be perfectly sort of honest with you I could never sort of listen to talk radio whilst working. At the end of the day or, indeed at any other time. Do you sort of know what I mean?

[Edited at 2016-01-25 10:45 GMT]
Collapse

Merab Dekano
Merab Dekano  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
The thread Jan 25, 2016

has "so to speak" degenerated, but I still enjoy it has started "in the first place".

"Let's face it", Spanish TV/radio make mistakes too. The most common ones are "este área", "este agua", "emprendeduría" (this word is completely made up), "you name it".

Merab Dekano
Merab Dekano  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
In the pipeline Jan 26, 2016

No new expressions "in the pipeline".

apk12
apk12  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Filler words: love some of those Jan 27, 2016

Honestly, I love some of those.

Filler words have not exactly performative usage but are helpful for "sentence melodies" - when (not if, but when) you want the voice to draw a certain line, you need them.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
So I came across this list of "banished words"... Feb 2, 2016

Tom in London wrote:

Funny cartoon in the latest edition of "Private Eye" (unfortunately posting an image here is like going back to DOS, so I'm not going to try).

The drawing is quite simple: one man talking to another, saying

"So my New Year's resolution this year is to stop saying 'so' at the beginning of every sentence".

Just saw this today via FB, thought you'd appreciate it

The 2016 list of banished words

1. So
“So” was banished in 1999, due to phrases such as, “I am SO down with this list!”, but it topped this year’s table for “being overused as the first word in the answer to ANY question”, according to Bob Forrest of Tempe, Arizona. “For instance, ‘How did you learn to play the piano?’ Answer: “So my dad was in a classical music club…’”

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
That might be an idea Feb 2, 2016

apk12 wrote:

Honestly, I love some of those.

Filler words have not exactly performative usage but are helpful for "sentence melodies" - when (not if, but when) you want the voice to draw a certain line, you need them.

The English are notorious for saying things pleasantly to one another that mean absolutely nothing. They don't even notice they're doing it, but non-natives are constantly puzzled by it.

For example:

Englishman A: Shall we go to the pub?
Englishman B: That might be an idea.

...which means absolutely nothing. But it keeps the conversation going.

[Edited at 2016-02-02 15:20 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

So...

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »