Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
The real nightmare of translators are not clients, but reviewers
Thread poster: Gopinath Jambulingam
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:22
Spanish to English
+ ...
Please ... Apr 12, 2017

... don't stray off the topic, Nadja and Jan.

Alternatively, start a new thread, "Whatever happened to that "real nightmare ..." thread?", and we can all start in again.

[Edited at 2017-04-12 07:18 GMT]

Jan Truper
Jan Truper  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:22
Member (2016)
English to German
back on topic Apr 12, 2017

Gopinath Jambulingam wrote:

So, my question is what are the standards or benchmarks that the translation agencies adapt in the sample translation evaluation process? In the above review, it is apparent that the reviewer does not even know the target language!

It's a crazy translation world out there.
I've encountered many prime examples for the so-called generalized Peter Principle and the Dunning-Kruger effect (you can find these explained on Wikipedia) in the translation industry.
In German, the word "verschlimmbessern" (an artificial construction which basically means "making something worse while trying to make it better") is often a good fit to describe what's going on in the proofreading step.

I suggest to not take it personal, keep your cool, deeply breathe in and out, pick your fights wisely and don't waste too much time or nerves on such things. Just keep plugging away until you find a comfortable spot.

[Edited at 2017-04-12 07:55 GMT]

Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:22
Spanish to English
+ ...
General Comment Apr 12, 2017

Translators who indicate in their profiles that they translate professionally into English do themselves a grave disservice by posting messages on forums that are riddled with basic errors.

gayd (X)
gayd (X)
hell is other people (not only reviewers) Apr 12, 2017

Gopinath Jambulingam wrote:

Last week, I submitted a Test (sample) Translation in English to Tamil language pair to one UK-based translation agency. Today, when I got the result, I could not simply digest the reviewer's comment that my translation was very poor, and that the rating given was 3 / 10.

While checking the reviewed translation, I felt disgusting & disappointing that wherever I used transliteration for abbreviations and other terminologies, the reviewer had simply replaced them with English text. Almost 15 such corrections was made by him.

The only agreeable mistake that I made was a wrong paragraph break. As per the reviewer and client and I made 16 errors in my translation!

hell is other people (not only reviewers)

Alejandro Cavalitto
Alejandro Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 03:22
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I am locking this thread Apr 12, 2017

Hello,

I just wanted to let you know that I have locked this thread. Several comments had to be removed for being in violation of general site rule #2 and forums rule #4.

When responding to a topic, please stick to the topic as introduced, and refrain from posting personal comments. Thank you.

Best regards,
Alejan
... See more
Hello,

I just wanted to let you know that I have locked this thread. Several comments had to be removed for being in violation of general site rule #2 and forums rule #4.

When responding to a topic, please stick to the topic as introduced, and refrain from posting personal comments. Thank you.

Best regards,
Alejandro
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The real nightmare of translators are not clients, but reviewers

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »